Subject: Fw: I-D ACTION:draft-gahrns-imap-child-mailbox-02.txt
From: "Mike Gahrns" <[email-masked]>
To: "IMAP List" <[email-masked]>, "IMAPEXT List" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 16:20:25 -0800
List-Id: <ietf-imapext.imc.org>

FW: I-D ACTION:draft-gahrns-imap-child-mailbox-02.txtfyi - updates that were
discussed during the Washington IETF mtg.

Changes since April 99, draft-01

   Incorporated comments from the list discussions:

   1) Explicitly note that it is an error for the server to return both
   a \HasChildren and a \NoInferiors attribute in a LIST response.

   2) Note that the \HasChildren and \HasNoChildren attribute may not
   apply to the LSUB command.

   3) Note how \HasChildren and \HasNoChildren apply in the referral
   case.

   4) Added back advertising CHILDREN in the capability response as was
   the consensus during the Washington IMAP-EXT WG.  Rational was that
   this made it easier for clients.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 1999 3:55 AM
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-gahrns-imap-child-mailbox-02.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

        Title           : IMAP4 Child Mailbox Extension
        Author(s)       : M. Gahrns, R. Cheng
        Filename        : draft-gahrns-imap-child-mailbox-02.txt
        Pages           : 7
        Date            : 14-Dec-99

Many IMAP4 [RFC-2060] clients present to the user a hierarchical
view of the mailboxes that a user has access to.  Rather than
initially presenting to the user the entire mailbox hierarchy, it is
often preferable to show to the user a collapsed outline list of the
mailbox hierarchy (particularly if there is a large number of
mailboxes).  The user can then expand the collapsed outline
hierarchy as needed.  It is common to include within the collapsed
hierarchy a visual clue (such as a ''+'') to indicate that there are
child mailboxes under a particular mailbox.   When the visual clue
is clicked the hierarchy list is expanded to show the child
mailboxes.

The CHILDREN extension provides a mechanism for a client to
efficiently determine if a particular mailbox has children, without
issuing a LIST '' * or a LIST '' % for each mailbox name.
A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gahrns-imap-child-mailbox-02.txt
Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
        "get draft-gahrns-imap-child-mailbox-02.txt".
A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.
Send a message to:
        [email-masked].
In the body type:
        "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-gahrns-imap-child-mailbox-02.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
        MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
        feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
        command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
        a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
        exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
        "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
        up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
        how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

From: "Mike Gahrns" <[email-masked]>
To: "IMAP List" <[email-masked]>, "IMAPEXT List" <[email-masked]>
Subject: Fw: I-D ACTION:draft-gahrns-imap-child-mailbox-02.txt
Date: Sat, 15 Jan 2000 16:20:25 -0800
Sender: [email-masked]

FW: I-D ACTION:draft-gahrns-imap-child-mailbox-02.txtfyi - updates that were
discussed during the Washington IETF mtg.

Changes since April 99, draft-01

   Incorporated comments from the list discussions:

   1) Explicitly note that it is an error for the server to return both
   a \HasChildren and a \NoInferiors attribute in a LIST response.

   2) Note that the \HasChildren and \HasNoChildren attribute may not
   apply to the LSUB command.

   3) Note how \HasChildren and \HasNoChildren apply in the referral
   case.

   4) Added back advertising CHILDREN in the capability response as was
   the consensus during the Washington IMAP-EXT WG.  Rational was that
   this made it easier for clients.

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Wednesday, December 15, 1999 3:55 AM
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-gahrns-imap-child-mailbox-02.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

        Title           : IMAP4 Child Mailbox Extension
        Author(s)       : M. Gahrns, R. Cheng
        Filename        : draft-gahrns-imap-child-mailbox-02.txt
        Pages           : 7
        Date            : 14-Dec-99

Many IMAP4 [RFC-2060] clients present to the user a hierarchical
view of the mailboxes that a user has access to.  Rather than
initially presenting to the user the entire mailbox hierarchy, it is
often preferable to show to the user a collapsed outline list of the
mailbox hierarchy (particularly if there is a large number of
mailboxes).  The user can then expand the collapsed outline
hierarchy as needed.  It is common to include within the collapsed
hierarchy a visual clue (such as a ''+'') to indicate that there are
child mailboxes under a particular mailbox.   When the visual clue
is clicked the hierarchy list is expanded to show the child
mailboxes.

The CHILDREN extension provides a mechanism for a client to
efficiently determine if a particular mailbox has children, without
issuing a LIST '' * or a LIST '' % for each mailbox name.
A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-gahrns-imap-child-mailbox-02.txt
Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
        "get draft-gahrns-imap-child-mailbox-02.txt".
A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.
Send a message to:
        [email-masked].
In the body type:
        "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-gahrns-imap-child-mailbox-02.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
        MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
        feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
        command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
        a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
        exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
        "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
        up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
        how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.