Subject: Re: draft-melnikov-imap-unselect-00.txt
From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
To: Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 08:41:26 -0600
List-Id: <ietf-imapext.imc.org>

Simon Josefsson wrote:

> It might be appropriate to say that clients should fall back to do
> EXAMINE on the currently selected mailbox followed by CLOSE if the
> UNSELECT capability is not present.  This approach is better than
> using SELECT on a dummy mailbox which is mentioned now.

Yes, this is actually mentioned in the section 5.2.5. "Closing a
mailbox" in draft-melnikov-imap-disc-02.txt.
Should I just copy all section or put an informative reference?

[Actually EXAMINE + CLOSE is not mentioned, I will fix this in
draft-melnikov-imap-disc]

Regards,
Alexey
__________________________________________
R & D, ACI Worldwide/MessagingDirect
Watford, UK

Work Phone: +44 1923 81 2877
Home Page: http://orthanc.ab.ca/mel

I speak for myself only, not for my employer.
__________________________________________

To: IETF-Announce: ;
Cc: [email-masked]
From: [email-masked]
Reply-to: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-imapext-acl-06.txt
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 14:19:46 -0400
Sender: [email-masked]

--NextPart

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internet Message Access Protocol Extension Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: IMAP4 ACL extension
	Author(s)	: A. Melnikov
	Filename	: draft-ietf-imapext-acl-06.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 2002-10-16
	
The ACL extension of the Internet Message Access Protocol [IMAP4]
permits access control lists to be manipulated through the IMAP
protocol.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-imapext-acl-06.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-imapext-acl-06.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-imapext-acl-06.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

--NextPart
Content-Type: Multipart/Alternative; Boundary="OtherAccess"

--OtherAccess
Content-Type: Message/External-body;
	access-type="mail-server";
	server="[email-masked]"

Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID:	<[email-masked]>

ENCODING mime
FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-imapext-acl-06.txt

--OtherAccess
Content-Type: Message/External-body;
	name="draft-ietf-imapext-acl-06.txt";
	site="ftp.ietf.org";
	access-type="anon-ftp";
	directory="internet-drafts"

Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID:	<[email-masked]>

--OtherAccess--

--NextPart--

To: [email-masked]
Subject: draft-melnikov-imap-unselect-00.txt
From: Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 15:06:52 +0200
Sender: [email-masked]

It might be appropriate to say that clients should fall back to do
EXAMINE on the currently selected mailbox followed by CLOSE if the
UNSELECT capability is not present.  This approach is better than
using SELECT on a dummy mailbox which is mentioned now.

To: IETF-Announce: ;
Cc: [email-masked]
From: [email-masked]
Reply-to: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-imapext-thread-12.txt
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 07:14:42 -0400
Sender: [email-masked]

--NextPart

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internet Message Access Protocol Extension Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: INTERNET MESSAGE ACCESS PROTOCOL - THREAD EXTENSION
	Author(s)	: M. Crispin, K. Murchison
	Filename	: draft-ietf-imapext-thread-12.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 2002-10-8
	
This document describes the server-based threading extension to the
IMAP4rev1 protocol.  This extension provides substantial performance
improvements for IMAP clients which offer threaded views.
A server which supports this extension indicates this with more or
more capability names consisting of 'THREAD-' followed by a supported
threading algorithm name as described in this document.  This
provides for future upwards-compatible extensions.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-imapext-thread-12.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-imapext-thread-12.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-imapext-thread-12.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

--NextPart
Content-Type: Multipart/Alternative; Boundary="OtherAccess"

--OtherAccess
Content-Type: Message/External-body;
	access-type="mail-server";
	server="[email-masked]"

Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID:	<[email-masked]>

ENCODING mime
FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-imapext-thread-12.txt

--OtherAccess
Content-Type: Message/External-body;
	name="draft-ietf-imapext-thread-12.txt";
	site="ftp.ietf.org";
	access-type="anon-ftp";
	directory="internet-drafts"

Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID:	<[email-masked]>

--OtherAccess--

--NextPart--

Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 13:44:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
To: IMAP Extensions WG <[email-masked]>
Subject: draft -12 of THREAD document coming
Organization: Networks and Distributed Computing
Sender: [email-masked]

I've submitted draft -12 of the THREAD specification.  Draft 12 changes
the specification of the parent/child relationship in ORDEREDSUBJECT
threading.  The reason for the change is discussed below.

The desirability of the change should be self-evident.  If not, please
contact me offline and I'll explain.

Since the current server implementations of ORDEREDSUBJECT threading
follow the old definition, I've written the change in a manner that
deprecates the old behavior rather than forbidding it, and added a client
SHOULD that will make clients work the same way no matter what the server
does.

The specification is changed from:

         Note that each message in a thread is a child (as opposed to a
         sibling) of the previous message.

to:

         The first message of each thread are siblings of each other
         (the "root").  The second message of a thread is the child of
         the first message, and subsequent messages of the thread are
         siblings of the second message and hence children of the
         message at the root.  Hence, there are no grandchildren in
         ORDEREDSUBJECT threading.

           Note: earlier versions of this specification specified
           that each message in an ORDEREDSUBJECT thread is a child
           (as opposed to a sibling) of the previous message.  This
           is now deprecated.  For compatibility with servers which
           may still use the old definition, client implementations
           SHOULD treat descendents of a child as being siblings of
           that child.

           This is because the old definition mistakenly indicated
           that there was a parent/child relationship between
           successive messages in a thread; when in fact there was
           only a chronological relationship.  In clients which
           indicate parent/child relationships in a thread tree,
           this would indicate levels of descent which did not
           exist.

The ORDEREDSUBJECT threading example is also changed from:

                  (173)(174 175 176 178 181 180)(179)(177 183
                   182 188 184 185 186 187 189)(190)(191)(192)
                  (193)(194 195)(196 197 198)(199)(200 202)(201)
                  (203)(204)(205)(206 207)(208)

to:

                  (173)(174 (175)(176)(178)(181)(180))(179)(177
                  (183)(182)(188)(184)(185)(186)(187)(189))(190)
                  (191)(192)(193)(194 195)(196 (197)(198))(199)
                  (200 202)(201)(203)(204)(205)(206 207)(208)

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.

Date: Tue, 22 Oct 2002 08:41:26 -0600
From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Organization: ACI WorldWide / MessagingDirect
To: Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]>
CC: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: draft-melnikov-imap-unselect-00.txt
Sender: [email-masked]

Simon Josefsson wrote:

> It might be appropriate to say that clients should fall back to do
> EXAMINE on the currently selected mailbox followed by CLOSE if the
> UNSELECT capability is not present.  This approach is better than
> using SELECT on a dummy mailbox which is mentioned now.

Yes, this is actually mentioned in the section 5.2.5. "Closing a
mailbox" in draft-melnikov-imap-disc-02.txt.
Should I just copy all section or put an informative reference?

[Actually EXAMINE + CLOSE is not mentioned, I will fix this in
draft-melnikov-imap-disc]

Regards,
Alexey
__________________________________________
R & D, ACI Worldwide/MessagingDirect
Watford, UK

Work Phone: +44 1923 81 2877
Home Page: http://orthanc.ab.ca/mel

I speak for myself only, not for my employer.
__________________________________________

To: IETF-Announce: ;
Cc: [email-masked]
From: [email-masked]
Reply-to: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-imapext-acl-06.txt
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 14:19:46 -0400
Sender: [email-masked]

--NextPart

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internet Message Access Protocol Extension Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: IMAP4 ACL extension
	Author(s)	: A. Melnikov
	Filename	: draft-ietf-imapext-acl-06.txt
	Pages		: 9
	Date		: 2002-10-16
	
The ACL extension of the Internet Message Access Protocol [IMAP4]
permits access control lists to be manipulated through the IMAP
protocol.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-imapext-acl-06.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-imapext-acl-06.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-imapext-acl-06.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

--NextPart
Content-Type: Multipart/Alternative; Boundary="OtherAccess"

--OtherAccess
Content-Type: Message/External-body;
	access-type="mail-server";
	server="[email-masked]"

Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID:	<[email-masked]>

ENCODING mime
FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-imapext-acl-06.txt

--OtherAccess
Content-Type: Message/External-body;
	name="draft-ietf-imapext-acl-06.txt";
	site="ftp.ietf.org";
	access-type="anon-ftp";
	directory="internet-drafts"

Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID:	<[email-masked]>

--OtherAccess--

--NextPart--

To: [email-masked]
Subject: draft-melnikov-imap-unselect-00.txt
From: Simon Josefsson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2002 15:06:52 +0200
Sender: [email-masked]

It might be appropriate to say that clients should fall back to do
EXAMINE on the currently selected mailbox followed by CLOSE if the
UNSELECT capability is not present.  This approach is better than
using SELECT on a dummy mailbox which is mentioned now.

To: IETF-Announce: ;
Cc: [email-masked]
From: [email-masked]
Reply-to: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-imapext-thread-12.txt
Date: Wed, 09 Oct 2002 07:14:42 -0400
Sender: [email-masked]

--NextPart

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internet Message Access Protocol Extension Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: INTERNET MESSAGE ACCESS PROTOCOL - THREAD EXTENSION
	Author(s)	: M. Crispin, K. Murchison
	Filename	: draft-ietf-imapext-thread-12.txt
	Pages		: 14
	Date		: 2002-10-8
	
This document describes the server-based threading extension to the
IMAP4rev1 protocol.  This extension provides substantial performance
improvements for IMAP clients which offer threaded views.
A server which supports this extension indicates this with more or
more capability names consisting of 'THREAD-' followed by a supported
threading algorithm name as described in this document.  This
provides for future upwards-compatible extensions.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-imapext-thread-12.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-imapext-thread-12.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-imapext-thread-12.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

--NextPart
Content-Type: Multipart/Alternative; Boundary="OtherAccess"

--OtherAccess
Content-Type: Message/External-body;
	access-type="mail-server";
	server="[email-masked]"

Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID:	<[email-masked]>

ENCODING mime
FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-imapext-thread-12.txt

--OtherAccess
Content-Type: Message/External-body;
	name="draft-ietf-imapext-thread-12.txt";
	site="ftp.ietf.org";
	access-type="anon-ftp";
	directory="internet-drafts"

Content-Type: text/plain
Content-ID:	<[email-masked]>

--OtherAccess--

--NextPart--

Date: Mon, 7 Oct 2002 13:44:12 -0700 (PDT)
From: Mark Crispin <[email-masked]>
To: IMAP Extensions WG <[email-masked]>
Subject: draft -12 of THREAD document coming
Organization: Networks and Distributed Computing
Sender: [email-masked]

I've submitted draft -12 of the THREAD specification.  Draft 12 changes
the specification of the parent/child relationship in ORDEREDSUBJECT
threading.  The reason for the change is discussed below.

The desirability of the change should be self-evident.  If not, please
contact me offline and I'll explain.

Since the current server implementations of ORDEREDSUBJECT threading
follow the old definition, I've written the change in a manner that
deprecates the old behavior rather than forbidding it, and added a client
SHOULD that will make clients work the same way no matter what the server
does.

The specification is changed from:

         Note that each message in a thread is a child (as opposed to a
         sibling) of the previous message.

to:

         The first message of each thread are siblings of each other
         (the "root").  The second message of a thread is the child of
         the first message, and subsequent messages of the thread are
         siblings of the second message and hence children of the
         message at the root.  Hence, there are no grandchildren in
         ORDEREDSUBJECT threading.

           Note: earlier versions of this specification specified
           that each message in an ORDEREDSUBJECT thread is a child
           (as opposed to a sibling) of the previous message.  This
           is now deprecated.  For compatibility with servers which
           may still use the old definition, client implementations
           SHOULD treat descendents of a child as being siblings of
           that child.

           This is because the old definition mistakenly indicated
           that there was a parent/child relationship between
           successive messages in a thread; when in fact there was
           only a chronological relationship.  In clients which
           indicate parent/child relationships in a thread tree,
           this would indicate levels of descent which did not
           exist.

The ORDEREDSUBJECT threading example is also changed from:

                  (173)(174 175 176 178 181 180)(179)(177 183
                   182 188 184 185 186 187 189)(190)(191)(192)
                  (193)(194 195)(196 197 198)(199)(200 202)(201)
                  (203)(204)(205)(206 207)(208)

to:

                  (173)(174 (175)(176)(178)(181)(180))(179)(177
                  (183)(182)(188)(184)(185)(186)(187)(189))(190)
                  (191)(192)(193)(194 195)(196 (197)(198))(199)
                  (200 202)(201)(203)(204)(205)(206 207)(208)

-- Mark --

http://staff.washington.edu/mrc
Science does not emerge from voting, party politics, or public debate.