Subject: [imapext] Finding out REAL Drafts folder on an IMAP Server.

From: narendra singh bisht <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 1 May 2014 14:36:06 -0400

Hey there,

I don’t know how trivial this question is, but I’ve been thinking on this a
lot.

How do I find the REAL Drafts folder on an IMAP server?

For Gmail and AOL, I could see there is some mapping in the response which
will help me find out the server’s draft folder.

But for lot of others server, including Yahoo.com, it seems there is no
proper and consistent way to find the server’s Drafts folder.

Few flavors of Drafts folder name:

Draft

Drafts

INBOX.Drafts

Please suggest a way to find it out.

-- 
Thanks & Regards
-Narendra

---

From: Bron Gondwana <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 May 2014 07:31:28 +1000

On Fri, May 2, 2014, at 04:36 AM, narendra singh bisht wrote:

Hey there,

I don’t know how trivial this question is, but I’ve been thinking on
this a lot.

For Gmail and AOL, I could see there is some mapping in the response
which will help me find out the server’s draft folder.

This is called SPECIAL-USE, and it's documented in RFC 6154.

Draft

Drafts

INBOX.Drafts

Call up the administrator of the server and ask them.

While you're at it, suggest that they implement RFC 6154.

Alternatively, it looks like running a LIST command and matching on the
word 'draft' will probably let you make a pretty good guess.

Regards,

Bron.

--
Bron Gondwana
[email-masked]

---

From: Paul Smith <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2014 19:46:15 +0100

On 01/05/2014 19:36, narendra singh bisht wrote:
> But for lot of others server, including Yahoo.com, it seems there is 
> no proper and consistent way to find the server’s Drafts folder.
>
There is RFC 6154 (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6154) but that's an 
optional extension.

Other than that, you have to guess. However, the 'Drafts' folder is just 
like any other folder (as are 'Sent Items', 'Trash', 'Junk' etc), so the 
drafts folder can be whichever folder the MUA wants it to be.

-

Paul Smith Computer Services
Tel: 01484 855800
Vat No: GB 685 6987 53

---

From: Jan Kundrát <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2014 10:12:26 +0200

On Thursday, 1 May 2014 23:31:28 CEST, Bron Gondwana wrote:
> Alternatively, it looks like running a LIST command and 
> matching on the word 'draft' will probably let you make a pretty 
> good guess.

...unless your user happened to use a non-English locale, or prefers 
localized mailbox names, in which case you're screwed. It's "Koncepty" in 
Czech, for example.

With kind regards,
Jan

-- 
Trojitá, a fast Qt IMAP e-mail client -- http://trojita.flaska.net/

---

From: Bron Gondwana <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2014 21:29:34 +1000

> localized mailbox names, in which case you're screwed. It's "Koncepty" in 

https://developers.google.com/translate/v2/getting_started

;)

-- 
  Bron Gondwana
  [email-masked]

---

From: Tony Finch <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 13:53:21 +0100

Paul Smith <[email-masked]> wrote:
>
> There is RFC 6154 (http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6154) but that's an optional
> extension.
>
> Other than that, you have to guess.

There is a caveat that MUAs tend to make assumptions about the format of
draft messages, so partially composing a message with one MUA then editing
it with another might not lead to a result that makes any sense.

Tony.
-- 
f.anthony.n.finch  <[email-masked]>  http://dotat.at/
North Faeroes, South-east Iceland: Southeasterly 3 or 4, backing northeasterly
5 to 7 later. Moderate or rough. Occasional rain. Moderate or good,
occasionally poor.