Subject: [imapext] RFC 5524 - what is the proper capability to use?

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 12:08:17 -0400

Hi,
Whilst researching the issue with missing capabilities in the IANA registry 
I ran into the following: RFC 5524 (Extended URLFETCH for Binary and 
Converted Parts) defines a capability string of "URLAUTH=BINARY" in section 
3 and the ABNF in Section 5. However, the IANA section uses 
"URLFETCH=BINARY", which is what IANA has registered at 
http://www.iana.org/assignments/imap-capabilities/imap-capabilities.xhtml.

The Dovecot server I use advertises "URLAUTH=BINARY".

So which is correct? What do other servers do? What do clients expect?

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

---

From: Ken Murchison <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 13:14:15 -0400

On 05/14/2014 12:08 PM, Cyrus Daboo wrote:
> Hi,
> Whilst researching the issue with missing capabilities in the IANA 
> registry I ran into the following: RFC 5524 (Extended URLFETCH for 
> Binary and Converted Parts) defines a capability string of 
> "URLAUTH=BINARY" in section 3 and the ABNF in Section 5. However, the 
> IANA section uses "URLFETCH=BINARY", which is what IANA has registered 
> at 

Cyrus IMAP also uses "URLAUTH=BINARY".

-- 
Kenneth Murchison
Principal Systems Software Engineer
Carnegie Mellon University

---

From: Dave Cridland <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 19:58:24 +0100

On 14 May 2014 18:14, Ken Murchison <[email-masked]> wrote:

>> registry I ran into the following: RFC 5524 (Extended URLFETCH for Binary
>> and Converted Parts) defines a capability string of "URLAUTH=BINARY" in
>> section 3 and the ABNF in Section 5. However, the IANA section uses

Polymer (which does have URLAUTH), doesn't support RFC 5524, and I don't
know of any other clients that do.

Dave.