Subject: [imapext] Identifying new message from QRESYNC RFC5162

From: Nigar Sultana <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 7 May 2014 02:13:40 +0800 (SGT)

Hello All,

The understanding from RFC5162 is response to QRESYNC on selected mailbox returns the status of old message which is modified. 

There are few case for which i did not got much info in RFC5162: 
1. If the state of the old message is not changed but there are some new messages. The query is: Should server intimate the recent message UID information to client? 

2. If the state of the old message is changed but their are no new messages. -- The understanding is server returns the UID of old message which has the flag/state changes

3. IF the state of the old message is changes and there are some new message. The query is: should server intimate the recent messages UID information to client?

Regards
Nigar Sultana

---

From: Bron Gondwana <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2014 11:02:37 +1000

On Wed, May 7, 2014, at 04:13 AM, Nigar Sultana wrote:

Hello All,

The understanding from RFC5162 is response to QRESYNC on selected
mailbox returns the status of old message which is modified.

There are few case for which i did not got much info in RFC5162:
1. If the state of the old message is not changed but there are some
new messages. The query is: Should server intimate the recent message
UID information to client?

2. If the state of the old message is changed but their are no new
messages. -- The understanding is server returns the UID of old message
which has the flag/state changes

3. IF the state of the old message is changes and there are some new
message. The query is: should server intimate the recent messages UID
information to client?

I am struggling to understand what you are asking.

The response to a SELECT QRESYNC:

[1]http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5162#section-3.1

If no UID range is provided, then ALL changed messages must have their
information sent to the client.  This includes both old messages which
have flag/state changes, and all new messages.

If a UID range (optional parameter number 3) is provided, then exactly
the same information is sent (all old with changes, and all new) - but
only for the range of UIDs which was given.

The "known UID to MSGNO" map (the 4th optional parameter) is the
confusing part.  All it does is save a server with incomplete
information from needing to send some extra VANISHED (EARLIER)
responses.  It doesn't change which flags need to be sent.

I hope that helps you.

Regards,
Bron.

--
Bron Gondwana
[email-masked]

References

1. http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc5162#section-3.1