Subject: [imapext] Contacts and Calendar Sync for IMAP Protocol

From: Jayantheesh S B <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 21:00:44 +0000

Hi All,

IMAP Lemonade provides solution for various problems and defines standards for various protocol, which is very useful for mobile environment.

We see lot IMAP extension like IDLE, QRESYNC, CONDSTORE are very useful for the end user, since it consumes less battery usage with less mobile data.

Similarly, we see apart from Email sync, Contacts and Calendar sync also gives lot of value addition and useful for end user.

Right now we did not see any standard in IMAP for Contacts and Calendar sync. But Gmail does this with their own propriety protocol.

Kindly throw some light on this and suggest if any standard protocol already available for Contact and Calendar Sync ?

Regards,
Jay

---

From: Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 17:06:26 -0400

Hi Jayantheesh,

--On May 14, 2014 at 9:00:44 PM +0000 Jayantheesh S B 
<[email-masked]> wrote:

> Right now we did not see any standard in IMAP for Contacts and Calendar
> sync. But Gmail does this with their own propriety protocol.
>
> Kindly throw some light on this and suggest if any standard protocol
> already available for Contact and Calendar Sync ?

CalDAV and CardDAV: RFC 4791 and RFC 6352.

-- 
Cyrus Daboo

---

From: Brandon Long <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2014 14:09:20 -0700

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 2:06 PM, Cyrus Daboo <[email-masked]> wrote:

> Hi Jayantheesh,
>
>
> --On May 14, 2014 at 9:00:44 PM +0000 Jayantheesh S B <
> [email-masked]> wrote:
>

Both of which are supported by Google:
https://developers.google.com/google-apps/calendar/caldav/v2/guide
https://developers.google.com/google-apps/carddav/

Brandon

---

From: Bron Gondwana <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2014 08:23:51 +1000

On Thu, May 15, 2014, at 07:00 AM, Jayantheesh S B wrote:

Hi All,

IMAP Lemonade provides solution for various problems and defines
standards for various protocol, which is very useful for mobile
environment.

We see lot IMAP extension like IDLE, QRESYNC, CONDSTORE are very useful
for the end user, since it consumes less battery usage with less mobile
data.

Similarly, we see apart from Email sync, Contacts and Calendar sync
also gives lot of value addition and useful for end user.

We support all those standards (CalDAV, CardDAV, and of course all the
IMAP extensions) at FastMail - but we're also working on extending and
opening the JSON protocol we use to communicate between our web
interface and our servers.

You can read our early drafts at [1]http://jmap.io/

The plan is to build an open protocol which can be used more
efficiently by clients who don't have the connection reliability for
IMAP's state-based connections, and over a single protocol through
proxies, etc.

The downside of course is that it's not standard, and it's not done
yet.

Bron.

--
Bron Gondwana
[email-masked]

References

1. http://jmap.io/