Subject: [IMRG] ACM SIGCOMM 2011: Call for Posters

From: Nicolas Christin <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 10:54:16 -0400

SIGCOMM 2011 - Call for Posters
[Note updated deadline -- less than a month ago]

The SIGCOMM poster session showcases works-in-progress. The setting is
informal. Topics of interest are the same as research topics in the
SIGCOMM conference call for papers.

Although anyone can submit a poster, preference will be given to
posters where the primary contribution is from one or more
students. The SIGCOMM 2011 Poster and Demo committee will review all
demo proposals. At the conference, a student must present student
posters. Authors of accepted papers in SIGCOMM 2011 may not submit a
poster on the same work in those papers.

Student Research Competition

The SIGCOMM poster session will also serve as an ACM student research
competition. Qualified entrants must have current ACM student
membership, have graduate or undergraduate student status at the time
of submission (May 2011, below), and be submitted by a single student
author. Supervisors are not permitted to coauthor the poster. (Please
contact the poster chairs if this restriction represents a hardship.)
Undergraduates and graduate students will be treated in separate
divisions. (Students starting their first year of graduate school at
the time of the conference will be considered as undergraduates.) A
small travel supplement is made available to accepted entrants: please
also submit applications for travel grant support. The ACM SRC program
is sponsored by Microsoft Research.  Winners will advance to ACM Grand
Finals of the Student Research Competition to compete against the
winners of other ACM conferences.

Why Should You Submit a Poster?

This is a great chance especially for students to obtain interesting
and valuable feedback on ongoing research from a knowledgeable crowd
at the conference. In addition, top few submissions will be forwarded
for publication to ACM SIGCOMM's newletter, the ACM Computer
Communication Review (CCR).  Travel Grants for Student Posters
Students who are submitting posters are highly encouraged to examine
if they are eligible for student travel grants.

What is a Poster?

We define a poster to be A0 paper size in portrait mode (841x1189mm),
to which you can affix visually appealing material that describes your
research. Alternatively, you can use the space as a continuum. You
should prepare the best material (visually appealing and succinct)
that effectively communicates your research problem, techniques,
results, and what is novel and important about your work.  Note that
you do not submit such a large-format image; only an abstract
describing in text what the poster would present.

What and Where to Submit

Please submit a two-page abstract on the work to
https://sigcomm2011posters.cs.wisc.edu. The decision will be taken
primarily by reading the abstract.
Submissions are single blind, so please include authors' names and affiliation.

Content:

The abstract should clearly state:

•       the problem being addressed;
•       what makes this problem interesting, important, and difficult;
•       your approach to the problem;
•       the key contribution

In the final version of the abstract, you should include a URL that
provides additional information about your work to the attendees.
Formatting: Prepare your abstract using ACM conference style, modified
to 10pt. Concretely, two columns, minimum 10pt times with 0.75 inch
margins and 1/3 inch space between columns.  The abstract must be
within the page limit and in PDF format. Word documents will not be
accepted. At the conference, we will distribute the abstracts to all
conference attendees.

Important dates
Submission Deadline     May 16, 2011 (11:59 PDT)
Acceptance Notification June 5, 2011
Camera Ready Deadline   June 15, 2011

Poster and Demo Committee
Poster/Demo Co-Chairs
        Aditya Akella           University of Wisconsin--Madison, USA
        Lili Qiu                University of Texas at Austin, USA
Committee Members
        Fabian Bustamante       Northwestern University, USA
        Nick Feamster           Georgia Tech, USA
        Rodrigo Fonseca         Brown University, USA
        Saikat Guha             Microsoft Research, India
        Sue Moon                KAIST, Korea
        Sneha Kumar Kasera      University of Utah, USA
        Li Erran Li             Bell Labs, USA
        David Oran              Cisco, USA
        Vyas Sekar              Intel Labs at Berkeley, USA
        Neil Spring             University of Maryland, USA
        Lakshminarayanan Subramanian    New York University, USA
        Kun Tan                 Microsoft Research Asia, China
        Jia Wang                Purdue University, USA
        Xiaowei Yang            Duke University, USA