Subject: [imss] Re: Last Call: 'Transmission of IPv6, IPv4 and ARP Packets over Fibre Channel' to Proposed Standard

From: Claudio DeSanti <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Nov 2005 17:50:53 -0800

During the resolution of a comment from the Internet Area review we 
added the following sentence to section 5.1:

    The U/L bit has no function in Fibre Channel (because an N_Port_Name
    is used only as an identifier, not as an address to which frames are
    forwarded), however it has to be properly handled when a
    Name_Identifier is converted to an EUI-64 address.

Although the parenthetical sentence is true, it is not really the reason 
why the U/L bit has no function in Fibre Channel, because the uniqueness 
scope of a Fibre Channel Name_Identifier is due to its NAA rather than 
to the fact that it is not used in forwarding. To avoid confusion, I 
propose to just remove the parenthetical sentence, resulting in the 
following sentence:

    The U/L bit has no function in Fibre Channel, however it has to be
    properly handled when a Name_Identifier is converted to an EUI-64
    address.

Thanks,

                           Claudio.

The IESG wrote:
> The IESG has received a request from the Internet and Management Support for 
> Storage WG to consider the following document:
> 
> - 'Transmission of IPv6, IPv4 and ARP Packets over Fibre Channel '
>    <draft-ietf-imss-ip-over-fibre-channel-02.txt> as a Proposed Standard
> 
> This document (once approved) will obsolete RFC2625 and RFC3831.
> 
> The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits
> final comments on this action.  Please send any comments to the
> [email-masked] or [email-masked] mailing lists by 2005-11-13.
> 
> The file can be obtained via
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-imss-ip-over-fibre-channel-02.txt
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> IETF-Announce mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
> 

_______________________________________________
imss mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/imss