Subject: [Insipid] Terminology in draft-ietf-insipid-session-id-reqts-02

From: Daryl Malas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Nov 2012 20:48:46 +0000

There was some discussion on the terms in the requirements draft during today's working group session.  As a point of reference, some of these terms were defined in RFC 6076:

End-to-End - This is described as two or more elements utilized for
   initiating a request, receiving the request, and responding to the
   request.  It encompasses elements as necessary to be involved in a
   session dialog between the originating user agent client (UAC),
   destination user agent server (UAS), and any interim proxies (may
   also include back-to-back user agents (B2BUAs)).  This may be
   relative to a single operator's set of elements or may extend to
   encompass all elements (if beyond a single operator's network)
   associated with a session.

   Session - As described in RFC 3261 [RFC3261], SIP is used primarily
   to request, create, and conclude sessions.  "These sessions include
   Internet telephone calls, multimedia distribution, and multimedia
   conferences".  The metrics within this document measure the
   performance associated with the SIP dialogs necessary to establish
   these sessions; therefore, they are titled as Session Request Delay,
   Session Disconnect Delay, etc.  Although the titles of many of the
   metrics include this term, they are specifically measuring the
   signaling aspects only.  Each session is identified by a unique
   "Call-ID", "To", and "From" header field tag.

Obviously, terms can be unique to drafts, perhaps these definitions can help shape the definitions in the requirements draft, or they could simply be referenced.  In either case, sharing them in the spirit of helping to create better definitions in this requirements draft.

Regards,

Daryl