Subject: [Insipid] Ben Campbell's Discuss on draft-ietf-insipid-logme-reqs-12: (with DISCUSS)

From: "Ben Campbell" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Feb 2017 22:44:14 -0800

Ben Campbell has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-insipid-logme-reqs-12: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-insipid-logme-reqs/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, there's 5 obstains, and at this rate may be more by the telechat. I
can take a hint :-) 

This is a discuss-discuss; I want to talk about the recent guidance we've
given people for this sort of thing, and how we should address work items
that were approved well before that guidance was given. Otherwise, I want
to regroup with the authors and working group before progressing this
further.

---

From: Spencer Dawkins at IETF <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2017 16:23:58 +0900

Dear IESG,

> https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-insipid-logme-reqs/

It may also be helpful for us to note as part of that chat, that the
current approval gating for Informational docs like this one happens to be
(as given in https://www.ietf.org/iesg/voting-procedures.html).

"For an Informational, Experimental, or Historic document, approval
requires one Yes with no Discuss votes. The IESG secretary will refer to
the ballot during the telechat, but there will not be a poll of ADs who
have not posted a ballot position. If there are no Discuss ballot
positions, the Secretariat will ask, "Does any AD object to this document
being published?" If an AD raises an objection, a Discuss position must be
posted at that time."

If Ben was still a Yes and all the rest of us Abstained, the document would
be approved.

Is that what we think should happen?

Curiously yours,

Spencer