Subject: [Int-area] Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-atlas-icmp-unnumbered-00.txt

From: Alia Atlas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 17:22:11 -0800

I'd be very interested in any comments on this draft.  It suggests
extending primarily ICMP TTL Exceeded messages for better
troubleshooting with unnumbered interfaces.  The additional
information potentially included are an interface ifIndex and an
interface description string.

Thanks!
Alia

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Date: Dec 12, 2005 3:50 PM
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-atlas-icmp-unnumbered-00.txt
To: [email-masked]

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

        Title           : ICMP Extensions for Unnumbered Interfaces
        Author(s)       : A. Atlas, et al.
        Filename        : draft-atlas-icmp-unnumbered-00.txt
        Pages           : 8
        Date            : 2005-12-12

   This memo defines extensions to ICMP that permit identification of
   unnumbered interfaces.  The interface the IP packet was received upon
   can be identified by appending an ifIndex and/or a string describing
   the interface.  These extensions are defined to facilitate
   troubleshooting in network with unnumbered interfaces and parallel
   links.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-atlas-icmp-unnumbered-00.txt

To remove yourself from the I-D Announcement list, send a message to
[email-masked] with the word unsubscribe in the body of
the message.
You can also visit https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/I-D-announce
to change your subscription settings.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
        "get draft-atlas-icmp-unnumbered-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
        [email-masked].
In the body type:
        "FILE /internet-drafts/draft-atlas-icmp-unnumbered-00.txt".

NOTE:   The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
        MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
        feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
        command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
        a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
        exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
        "multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
        up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
        how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

_______________________________________________
I-D-Announce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce

_______________________________________________
Int-area mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/int-area

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Dec 2005 08:01:45 +0200 (EET)

> interface description string.

Application area is going to ask, "how do you internationalize the 
description string?"  That's also part of 
http://www.ietf.org/ID-Checklist.html.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

---

From: Alia Atlas <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 2005 22:07:46 -0800

> http://www.ietf.org/ID-Checklist.html.

I am assuming that one could use different C-types; for instance, one
C-type could be UTF-8 or such as appropriate.  I didn't add that in
because I'm not really familiar with the issues in this area.  Do you
have any recommendations?

Thanks,
Alia