Subject: [Int-area] Identifier-locator separation work and routing scalability

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 13:47:05 +0300

At the last IETF meeting in Prague, we spent our int-area
open meeting time presenting on and providing open mic
discussion for identifier/locater split solution design in
general, as well as in specific reference to recent energy
from the service provider community looking for
fundamental routing scalability improvements.

Work on the routing and addressing problem is happening
in several parallel efforts, including implementation
improvements by vendors, review of operational practices,
modest improvements to the BGP protocol, and more
fundamental architectural changes either through
new types of routing architectures or identifier-locator
separation.

Some of these activities fall clearly on one forum, whereas
in others we've had more confusion where  the work
belongs. In particular, there is a lot of  current
identifier-locator and locator-locator separation effort
in the Internet area, we held int-area, rtg-area, and
plenary meetings in Prague, and the Routing Research
Group (RRG) is now looking at new routing and addressing
architectures. To avoid duplication of effort, the Internet
ADs would like to recommend that for solving the routing
scalability problem, the research and exploration phase
needed before standardization work should continue in
the RRG for now rather than in the IETF.

Current id/loc and loc/loc work for mobility and multihoming
in the int-area (such as HIP) will continue unabated, and we
encourage  participation in the discussion sponsored by the
IAB and IRTF.

When the RRG reaches a point where part or all of its effort
requires engineering work, we are eager to create a new or
recharter an existing working group for this via the normal
IETF process. We will send another note later on how to best
start such work in the IETF. Work does not have to come from
the RRG alone, but we are not going to actively cultivate
work in the int-area on this at this time.

Given this, we will not be hosting an Interim meeting on this
topic before Chicago. The RRG and IAB still may on their own
accord, but the main activity that we are currently aware of is
the RRG meeting in Chicago (Friday, July 27th).

Jari Arkko
Mark Townsley

_______________________________________________
Int-area mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/int-area