Subject: Re: [Int-area] I-D Action: draft-shen-traceroute-ping-ext-03.txt

From: Naiming Shen <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 13:59:22 -0700

Hi,

We have updated the "Traceroute and Ping Message Extension" draft
(attached below).

This scheme offers a mechanism for application to carry their own data in
Traceroute/Ping (sender side) of the message, and icmp echo request/reply
messages. (similar to the ICMP multi-part messages inside ICMP type 3, 11
and 12 in rfc 4884). authentication is also supported in this draft.

please review and comment.

thanks.
Naiming, Carlos, Rajiv, Enke, Alia

On Oct 31, 2011, at 2:34 PM, [email-masked] wrote:

> A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
> 
> 	Title           : Traceroute and Ping Message Extension
> 	Author(s)       : Naiming Shen
>                          Carlos Pignataro
>                          Rajiv Asati
>                          Enke Chen
>                          Alia K. Atlas
> 	Filename        : draft-shen-traceroute-ping-ext-03.txt
> 	Pages           : 15
> 	Date            : 2011-10-31
> 
>   This document specifies extensions to traceroute and ping techniques
>   to facilitate addition application information to be carried in UDP,
>   TCP and ICMP traceroute probe messages and ICMP echo request and
>   reply messages.  This proposal also allows the receiver to
>   authenticate the source of the traceroute and ping senders.
> 
> 
> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-shen-traceroute-ping-ext-03.txt
> 
> Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/
> 
> This Internet-Draft can be retrieved at:
> ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-shen-traceroute-ping-ext-03.txt
> _______________________________________________
> I-D-Announce mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/i-d-announce
> Internet-Draft directories: http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html
> or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

---

From: "Tissa Senevirathne (tsenevir)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2011 20:36:33 -0700

This draft seems to address much awaited drawback of ICMP echo request
and response i.e. inability to extend ICMP echo request/response in
manner similar to RFC 4884. 

ICMP echo request and Response (Ping) is the most widely used OAM tool.
(I think next best thing since sliced bread :)). The networking has
grown so much since Ping was first introduced in 1981. Inability to
extend Ping has prevented operators using ICMP for diagnosing wide
variety of issue that are applicable to modern networks. This draft open
doors to extending ICMP Ping and making life easier for many. Also the
draft include authentication option. Which is equally important to
prevent attackers exploiting OAM framework.

I am one of the co-authors of draft-tissa-trill-oam-00, "ICMP based OAM
Solution for TRILL", our work greatly benefits from the work of
draft-shen-traceroute-ping-ext-03.txt.

I fully support the work of this draft and proposes to move this to WG
document status.

Thanks
Tissa
-----Original Message-----
From: Naiming Shen (naiming) 
Sent: Wednesday, November 02, 2011 1:59 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: Carlos Pignataro (cpignata); Enke Chen (enkechen); Rajiv Asati
(rajiva); [email-masked]
Subject: Re: I-D Action: draft-shen-traceroute-ping-ext-03.txt

Hi,

This scheme offers a mechanism for application to carry their own data
in
Traceroute/Ping (sender side) of the message, and icmp echo
request/reply
messages. (similar to the ICMP multi-part messages inside ICMP type 3,
11
and 12 in rfc 4884). authentication is also supported in this draft.

thanks.

> A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-shen-traceroute-ping-ext-03.tx
t