Subject: [Int-area] review of draft-ietf-intarea-adhoc-wireless-com

From: Zhen Cao <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2016 08:35:28 +0800

Hi Authors,

Thank you for the work.  I and my team read the draft, and have the
following comments.

This draft is much needed to be referred by engineers who design
protocols for multi hop ad hoc wireless networks. The definition of
link asymmetry and its implications are clearly captured in the draft.
Earlier acquisition of the knowledge within the draft will help our
engineering practice a lot.

While reading the draft I felt the need for discussion of link quality
indicators and imo a section on this aspect is warranted in the draft.
May be the authors have intentionally decided not to project the link
level indicators since these are seldom exposed to the layer above it.
But more and more implementations have started (or are already) using
“feedback scheme” from MAC layer to make decisions at above layer.
Engineers need to careful weigh such options and not over-commit to
such indicators. I ve seen implementations using LQI only or RSSI only
to make decisions and getting it wrong. The indicators “individually”
may not be fit enough to make decisions since they are hugely impacted
by various factors such as interference (because of density), distance
etc.

Most probably authors find this out of scope, but I think some
discussion within the draft will be helpful, or we need another draft
to talk about this aspect in IETF.

Cheers,
Zhen