Subject: [Int-area] I-D Action: draft-ietf-intarea-broadcast-consider-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 00:30:38 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internet Area Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : Privacy considerations for IP broadcast and multicast protocol designers
        Authors         : Rolf Winter
                          Michael Faath
                          Fabian Weisshaar
	Filename        : draft-ietf-intarea-broadcast-consider-03.txt
	Pages           : 13
	Date            : 2017-05-29

Abstract:
   A number of application-layer protocols make use of IP broadcasts or
   multicast messages for functions like local service discovery or name
   resolution.  Some of these functions can only be implemented
   efficiently using such mechanisms.  When using broadcasts or
   multicast messages, a passive observer in the same broadcast/
   multicast domain can trivially record these messages and analyze
   their content.  Therefore, broadcast/multicast protocol designers
   need to take special care when designing their protocols.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-intarea-broadcast-consider/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-intarea-broadcast-consider-03
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-intarea-broadcast-consider-03

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-intarea-broadcast-consider-03

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Rolf Winter <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 May 2017 09:39:02 +0200

Hi,

we updated the draft trying to address comments made by Joe and Tom.

In particular we added a section on types and use of broadcast and 
multicast. This is not an all encompassing summary of it, but highlights 
the types most important for the scope of the document. We did not 
include LANE as suggested, because we felt that this is side-tracking 
the discussion a little. Also, we left out relays for certain protocols, 
as the focus is on the standard broadcast and multicast capabilities of 
the network which proprietary protocols will need to use, as by design, 
there are no relays for these types of protocols.

Joe, could you check, whether the new text properly addresses your 
comments or not?

Thanks,

Rolf

Am 29.05.17 um 09:30 schrieb [email-masked]:
> _______________________________________________
> Int-area mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/int-area
>

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2017 10:09:10 -0700

Hi, Rolf,

Thanks - yes, this addresses my concerns.

Joe

On 5/29/2017 12:39 AM, Rolf Winter wrote:
> multicast. This is not an all encompassing summary of it, but
> highlights the types most important for the scope of the document. We
> did not include LANE as suggested, because we felt that this is
> side-tracking the discussion a little. Also, we left out relays for
> certain protocols, as the focus is on the standard broadcast and
> multicast capabilities of the network which proprietary protocols will
> need to use, as by design, there are no relays for these types of
> protocols.
>