Subject: [Int-area] Last Call: <draft-ietf-intarea-broadcast-consider-05.txt> (Privacy considerations for IP broadcast and multicast protocol designers) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2018 16:31:18 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Internet Area Working Group WG
(intarea) to consider the following document: - 'Privacy considerations for
IP broadcast and multicast protocol
   designers'
  <draft-ietf-intarea-broadcast-consider-05.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2018-01-16. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   A number of application-layer protocols make use of IP broadcasts or
   multicast messages for functions like local service discovery or name
   resolution.  Some of these functions can only be implemented
   efficiently using such mechanisms.  When using broadcasts or
   multicast messages, a passive observer in the same broadcast/
   multicast domain can trivially record these messages and analyze
   their content.  Therefore, broadcast/multicast protocol designers
   need to take special care when designing their protocols.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-intarea-broadcast-consider/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-intarea-broadcast-consider/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.