Subject: [Int-area] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-olteanu-intarea-socks-6-07.txt

From: Vladimir Olteanu <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Jul 2019 18:07:28 +0300

Hi,

This new version added some sweeping changes to SOCKSv6. The following 
are the most notable:

  * All fields are now guaranteed to be aligned. This makes 
implementation easier on platforms that can't handle unaligned memory 
accesses (notably ARM).

  * It is now possible to have the proxy relay back the resolved host 
name, in essence mimicking the behavior of gethostbyname/getaddrinfo. 
This is useful for applications that are "proxified" using LD_PRELOAD. 
Such applications will not be forced to leak information via DNS 
queries. (This functionality is present in Tor as a non-standard SOCKS 
extension.)

* Option kinds are now 2 bytes in size. We've also flattened the 
kinds/types/codes in order to save space.

* 8-byte UDP Association IDs.

On the implementation front, Sixtysocks 
(https://github.com/45G/sixtysocks) is now compliant with -07 and no 
longer depends on a GPL-licensed TLS library. The message library 
(https://github.com/45G/libsocks6msg) is up-to-date and fully-featured.

Cheers,
Vlad

-------- Forwarded Message --------
Subject: 	New Version Notification for draft-olteanu-intarea-socks-6-07.txt
Date: 	Mon, 08 Jul 2019 15:58:52 -0700
From: 	[email-masked]
To: 	Vladimir Olteanu <[email-masked]>, Dragos Niculescu 
<[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-olteanu-intarea-socks-6-07.txt
has been successfully submitted by Vladimir Olteanu and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name: draft-olteanu-intarea-socks-6
Revision: 07
Title: SOCKS Protocol Version 6
Document date: 2019-07-08
Group: Individual Submission
Pages: 38
URL: 
https://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-olteanu-intarea-socks-6-07.txt
Status: https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-olteanu-intarea-socks-6/
Htmlized: https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-olteanu-intarea-socks-6-07
Htmlized: 
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-olteanu-intarea-socks-6
Diff: https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-olteanu-intarea-socks-6-07

Abstract:
The SOCKS protocol is used primarily to proxy TCP connections to
arbitrary destinations via the use of a proxy server. Under the
latest version of the protocol (version 5), it takes 2 RTTs (or 3, if
authentication is used) before data can flow between the client and
the server.

This memo proposes SOCKS version 6, which reduces the number of RTTs
used, takes full advantage of TCP Fast Open, and adds support for
0-RTT authentication.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat