Subject: [Int-area] I-D Action: draft-ietf-intarea-frag-fragile-16.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2019 14:31:41 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the Internet Area Working Group WG of the IETF.

        Title           : IP Fragmentation Considered Fragile
        Authors         : Ron Bonica
                          Fred Baker
                          Geoff Huston
                          Robert M. Hinden
                          Ole Troan
                          Fernando Gont
	Filename        : draft-ietf-intarea-frag-fragile-16.txt
	Pages           : 28
	Date            : 2019-08-30

Abstract:
   This document describes IP fragmentation and explains how it
   introduces fragility to Internet communication.

   This document also proposes alternatives to IP fragmentation and
   provides recommendations for developers and network operators.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-intarea-frag-fragile/

There are also htmlized versions available at:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-intarea-frag-fragile-16
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/draft-ietf-intarea-frag-fragile-16

A diff from the previous version is available at:
https://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-intarea-frag-fragile-16

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Joe Touch <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2019 16:36:30 -0700

Hi, all, 

I disagree with the changes indicated in this version. 

The new text is both incorrect does not IMO reflect WG consensus. 

It is simply false that "it WILL break" or "new protocols can't possibly
know whether fragmentation works" - you even cite studies where this
works the majority of the time (failing 37% for IPv6 DNS resolvers is
succeeding 63%). This is not the same as ICMP-based MTU discovery. Users
absolutely can test and know this. 

I repeat my previous suggestion with caps for emphasis- that, LIKE ALL
PROTOCOLS AND FEATURES IN THE INTERNET, IP fragmentation is not
guaranteed to work on any given path and should be confirmed before
being relied upon. 

Joe

On 2019-08-30 14:31, [email-masked] wrote:

> _______________________________________________
> Int-area mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/int-area