Subject: [Int-area] Benjamin Kaduk's Yes on draft-ietf-intarea-frag-fragile-15: (with COMMENT)

From: Benjamin Kaduk via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Aug 2019 12:37:15 -0700

Benjamin Kaduk has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-intarea-frag-fragile-15: Yes

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-intarea-frag-fragile/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank you for this document.  Among other helpful things, it includes
the most clear and memorable description of the distinction between
PMTUD and PLPMTUD that I've heard yet, which I expect I will even be
able to remember for the next time I need it.

Section 2.1

   Each link is constrained by the number of bytes that it can convey in
   a single IP packet.  This constraint is called the link Maximum
   Transmission Unit (MTU).  Whlie the end-to-end Path MTU is the size
   of a single IPv4 header, IPv4 [RFC0791] requires every link to
   support at least a specified MTU (see NOTE 1).  IPv6 [RFC8200]

I don't understand what "the end-to-end Path MTU is the size of a single
IPv4 header" means
nit: s/Whlie/While/

Section 3.2

It might be worth another sentence to codify that sending the fragments
of a message to different next hops will end poorly.

Section 3.8.1

   The effect of rate limiting may be severe, as RFC 4443 recommends
   strict rate limiting of IPv6 traffic.

nit: s/IP/ICMP/

Section 4.1

nit: s/User Data Protocol/User Datagram Protocol/

Section 4.2

nit: s/is sufficiently small is sufficiently small/is sufficiently
small/