Subject: (ION) [Q] ip multicast over atm using mars...

From: kim young yuk <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Mar 1998 05:39:31 +0900

hello. all... friends ...

i have been interested in "ip multicast over atm..." and one approach
could be to use MARS and MCS ..
some basic questions below..

1. Is it right that MARS (Multicast Address Resolution Server) should be
only one in a LIS (Logical IP Subnet) ??

2. how can  a host get an MCS(MultiCast Server) address which is first
installed in a given area ?

reference : rfc2022(http://ds.internic.net/tfc/tfc2022.txt)
and internet dratf
(http://www.globecom.net/ietf/draft/draft-ietf-ion-marsmcs-02.shtml)

anyone knows ...  just drop me an email...

thanks in advance..
younyuk Kim ... ^_*;

mailto:[email-masked]

X-Info: To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
X-Info: 'unsubscribe ion' in the body of the message.

---

From: Mike Davison <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 16 Mar 1998 14:59:13 -0800

> only one in a LIS (Logical IP Subnet) ??

Multiple MARS can be used if synchronized. See "A Distributed MARS 
Service Using SCSP" (draft-ietf-ion-scsp-mars-01.txt).

> installed in a given area ?

The address of the MCS is learned from the MARS. 

Presently, the NSAP of the MARS must be configured on each MARS client.
Two methods of addressing this problem will be available in the future.
You may wish to read:

    "ILMI-Based Server Discovery for MARS" 
    draft-ietf-ion-discov-mars-00.txt

    "Proxy PAR" 
    draft-ietf-ion-proxypar-arch-00.txt

The ILMI-based approach is very simple. It uses ILMI to retreive 
NSAPs configured on the ATM switches. This doesn't eliminate NSAP
configuration, but greatly simplifies it.

The Proxy PAR approach is more advanced since it does not require
NSAP configuration on switches, but requires an additial protocol
between the host/router and the switch, which may be a concern in
some cases.

cheers,
Mike Davison