Subject: Re: Tired of Waiting

From: "Richard J. Sexton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 18:13:18 -0400 (EDT)

At 04:17 PM 7/14/98 -0400, Perry E. Metzger wrote:
>
>"Christopher Ambler" writes:
>> >No, it has just be denied by individuals like you who want to make
>> >money by getting a profitable monopoly on public resources. The bulk
>> >of the community has a pretty obvious interest in the other direction.
>> 
>> Your assessment is as inaccurate as your basis for the claim. What
>> is the difference between a registry making an honest profit and a
>> registrar making an honest profit? If both provide good service,
>> contractually prohibit gouging and harm to the Internet, where is the
>> harm?
>
>If my assessment is inaccurate, would you please explain to me how,
>exactly, a user of .FOO is to switch from one registrar to another
>under your plan?
>
>I don't even care about the money. What about if service is
>dangerously bad? I have clients that have had serious trouble from NSI 
>inaccurately cutting off their domain names. If you can't switch, you
>are locked down. This is a "monopoly" in the usual jargon.

If a *registrar* gives poor performence, you switch registrars.

If a *registry* is no good, you're stuck whether it's Chris or the
CORE registry.

--
The most important thing in the programming language is the name.  A
language will not succeed without a good name.  I have recently invented
a very good name and now I am looking for a suitable language.
     -- D. E. Knuth, 1967

---

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 21:06:36 -0400

> If a *registry* is no good, you're stuck whether it's Chris or the

The registry is chartered as a non-profit in the public
interest. Chris Ambler is not. The registry, as we designed it in the
IAHC, is supposed to be a tightly regulated thing that did very
little, so there is very little for it to screw up, and very little
cost associated with it. Chris Ambler doesn't possess these features.

The model is much like that for 800 numbers, where it has worked quite 
well.

Perry