Subject: Re: (ION) nhrp: Client proto addr?

From: "Paul Henri" <[email-masked]>
Date: 27 May 1998 17:16 EDT

In message "Re: (ION) nhrp: Client proto addr?", 
[email-masked]' writes:

>Paul Henri wrote:
>
>> It is clear that protocol addresses (source and destination) are
>> necessary in the mandatory part of the nhrp frame. However, the
>> question remains, why is it necessary to have a protocol address in
>> the *CIE* of the nhrp resolution reply (i.e. the Client Protocol
>> Address field)? The reply contains the nbma next-hop address for the
>> destination protocol address.
>> 
>> Doesn't the requester simply desire the *nbma* address of the
>> destination or egress router? So what if ip routed path leaves the
>> nbma network and re-enters? The egress router is the router at the
>> edge when the routed path *first* leaves the nbma network. If an
>> egress router is involved, why would anyone, especially the requester,
>> need its protocol address?
>
>Seems to me that use of the protocol addresses in the CIEs is to
>permit the easy identification of the NHRP path. That way, you don't
>rely on the NBMA addresses to identify the hops. Not so? That's the
>way I read it, anyway, and this _is_ after all the IETF. Protocol
>addresses matter.

Thanks for the prompt reply, Bert,

Two things: 1) Still not sure what value goes in the Client Protocol
Address filed in the CIE in the nhrp resolution reply, and 2) Why
would a station be concerned with the identification of the NHRP
"path" (assuming by "path" you mean the ip address of the nbma
next-hop)?

Regards,
pdh
---
Paul Henri
[email-masked]
X-Info: To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
X-Info: 'unsubscribe ion' in the body of the message.

---

From: [email-masked] (Lee Jung-Sup)
Date: Thu, 28 May 1998 10:05:22 +0900 (KST)

> "path" (assuming by "path" you mean the ip address of the nbma

After receving resolution-reply, Source may use the received 
CIE directly as a cache. When a packet with the same destination
is to be forwarded and Client Protocol Address is missing,
there's no way to map the packet to the cache, because CIE only
has the Client NBMA Address.
 
Regards,
J.Lee
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Justin Jungsup Lee                      [email-masked]
Associate Engineer,     		Samsung Plaza Building.,
ATM Research Group,  			7-25, Suhyun-Dong, Pundang-Gu,
Information and Communication Business, Sung-Nam, Kungki-Do, Korea 463-050
Samsung Electronics Company.            T:+82-0342-779-7574 F:+82-0342-779-7699
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
X-Info: To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
X-Info: 'unsubscribe ion' in the body of the message.