Subject: Re: IPP> Does the world need a robust host-to-device netw

From: Jay Martin <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 1998 15:31:46 -0500

Bob,

> Seems to me that applications care more about the printer driver API
> in the host OS rather than the protocol. The printer vendor will
> create the driver, the app writer just prints to the API.

Actually, most PWG members would rather say "the *platform* vendor
will create the driver".  Hence, the critical importance of getting
such players as Microsoft on board (and *happy* ;-).

When it comes to applications that need to "print", you're right,
app writer's just print to the (platform-specific) print API.
I don't believe that's at issue here at all.

What *is* at issue is the "host-to-device" (aka "server-to-printer")
protocol.  And that's where platform-specific driver developers
have specific concerns with regard to the viability of IPP as
a suitable protocol.

	...jay

----------------------------------------------------------------------
--  JK Martin               |  Email:   [email-masked]          --
--  Underscore, Inc.        |  Voice:   (603) 889-7000              --
--  41C Sagamore Park Road  |  Fax:     (603) 889-2699              --
--  Hudson, NH 03051-4915   |  Web:     http://www.underscore.com   --
----------------------------------------------------------------------