Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-nntpext-base-03.txt

From: Jeff Garzik <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 10:55:34 -0500

Would it be possible to have the FILTER command included in an NNTP
draft?  http://www.spinne.com/usenet/pre-filter/

There was no strenuous objection to my earlier proposal, and I have
received strong positive comments from many admins.

One comment I received privately was to make FILTER an NNTP extension; I
disagree -- FILTER interrupts the normal lock-step NNTP convention. 
That's why the additional "MODE FILTER" command exists instead.
-- 
Jeff Garzik			    Typhoon, Cyclone, Diablo, and INN
Spinne USENET News Service	        Fast and efficient news feeds
http://www.spinne.com/usenet/	           News tuning and consulting

---

From: Brian Hernacki <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 1998 09:27:54 -0800

> That's why the additional "MODE FILTER" command exists instead.

Why can't that be an extension?

--brian
Opinions are mine, not Netscape's