Subject: SCSP: Hello/retransmission intervals on a per server basis

From: Hoylen Sue <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 1997 17:08:00 +1000 (EST)

James,

>From the following sentence in section 2.1 of <draft-ietf-ion-scsp-02.txt>

>   ...                                                             The
>   Hello interval advertises the time (in seconds) between sending of
>   consecutive Hello messages by the server which is sending the
>   "current" Hello message.

it seems that the Hello Interval is a single value for a given server.
Can you clarify the interpretation of this sentence?

We have taken that the term "server" here refers to a single SCSP
instance (i.e. a unique PID + SGID).  This implies that it is valid to
have multiple Server Groups and/or protocols running on the same process
with different Hello Intervals.  An SCSP instance must use the same
Hello interval for all the link layer interfaces it uses (even if it
uses a hetrogeneous set of transports).

We are also assuming that the dead factor and retransmission intervals
(CAReXmtInterval, CSUReXmtInterval, and CSUSReXmtInterval) are also on a
per SCSP instance basis.

Hoylen
__________________________________________________________ Dr Hoylen Sue
[email-masked]                                        +61 7 3259 2222
CiTR Pty Ltd, PO Box 1643, Milton, 4064, Australia. Fax: +61 7 3259 2259
http://www.citr.com.au           http://www.dstc.edu.au/RDU/staff/hoylen