Subject: (ION) Questions on intra-LIS IP multicast among routers over ATM using PIM-SM

From: Matthew Cheng <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 13:06:08 -0500

Hi there,

I have a few questions on the Internet Draft "Intra-LIS multicast among
routers over ATM using Sparse Model PIM" concerning source-rooted tree:

1. The document requires that when one router in a LIS switches to a
source-rooted tree, all other routers in the same LIS need to switch as
well. Is it because of efficiency, PIM-SM protocol restriction, or some
other reason?

2. When a new member sends a (*,G)-Join, the root of the
(S,G)-source-rooted tree will add the member to its (S,G)-source-rooted
tree. But why then the member needs to send a (S,G)-Join?

Thanks for any advice in advance.

Matthew
-- 
*************************************************************************
Bellcore			    Matthew Cheng
331 Newman Springs Road, NVC-3B307  Research Scientist
Red Bank, NJ 07701-5699, U.S.A.	    Wireless Broadband Network Research-
Tel: +1-732-758-2897		    Wireless Technology and Networking
Fax: +1-732-758-4372		      Systems Research Department
Email: [email-masked]
X-Info: To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
X-Info: 'unsubscribe ion' in the body of the message.