Subject: Re: ipNetToMediaPhysAddress

From: Kaj Tesink <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 97 11:10:55 EST

At 09:11 AM 11/19/97 EST, [email-masked] wrote:

[...]

>
>This was also discussed in the ATOMMIB working group. The agreement
>was that the atm2tc internet-draft's AtmAddr would be updated to
>handle up to 40 octets. I just checked the September version and
>it still doesn't:
>
> AtmAddr ::= TEXTUAL-CONVENTION
>                       DISPLAY-HINT "1x"
>                       STATUS  current
>                       DESCRIPTION
>                           "The ATM address used by the network entity.
>                           The address types are: no address (0 octets),
>                           E.164 (8 octets), and NSAP (20 octets).
>                           Note: The E.164 address is encoded in BCD
>                           format."
>                      SYNTAX   OCTET STRING (SIZE(0:8:20)
>
>At this time I prefer to see if I can add some comments to the
>description clause of the IpoaAtmAddr and forget about attempting
>to import AtmAddr as part of the review process.
>

this was indeed the agreement at that time, and, as far as i know, still is.
since the atm TC spec was at the time still under ietf quality review
the procedure we envisioned was to insert this change together with any 
comments resulting from the review.
unfortunately, the review process broke down and the specs are still sitting there.
recently the area directors concerned have setup a new review team
and assured me that the review would be completed soon. i'll copy this to them as well.
i know this is important for the ion mailing list and associated specs.

kaj

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
_/                                                                      _/
_/  Kaj Tesink                                                          _/
_/  Bellcore                                                            _/
_/  Business Internet Professional Services  vmail (732) 758-5254       _/
_/  331 Newman Springs Rd.                   email [email-masked]  _/
_/  Red Bank, NJ 07701                     faxmail (732) 758-4177       _/
_/                                                                      _/
_/  * NOTE AREA CODE CHANGE (908) --> (732) EFFECTIVE JUNE 1, 1997 *    _/
_/                                                                      _/
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/