Subject: (ION) Final ion minutes

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 07 Apr 1998 17:21:34 -0400

ION Working Group minutes, Los Angeles

The ION working group met in one session on Monday 30 March 1998, from
13:00 – 15:00, and was chaired by Andy Malis <[email-masked]> and
George Swallow <[email-masked]>.  Andy Malis took the minutes.

Andy presented the introductory overheads.  Joel Halpern stated that he
is going be obtain the source to the router-to-router NHRP draft and
produce an update.  Cliff Wang is in the process of updating the SCSI
MIB, and welcomes additional co-authors.  Updates to the charter
workplan are April 1998 for the IPv6 set of drafts, April 1998 for the
NHRP MIB, May 1998 for ILMI-based server discovery, and August 1998 for
SCSP for ATMARP.

Kenichi Kitami, the Study Group 11 chair in the ITU, presented "Expected
Directions for Broadband & Multimedia Signaling", especially with
respect to signaling additions to assist IP over ATM applications.
Several proposed additions to ITU signaling include new Generic
Identifier Transport and User-User Information Elements. Applications
would include transfer of Internet-related information during session
establishment.  Two examples are QoS information for the IP layer and a
VC identifier for MPLS.

Muneyoshi Suzuki presented "Assignment of the Information Field and
Protocol Identifier in the Q.2941 Generic Identifier and Q.2957
User-to-user Signaling for the Internet Protocol", which was a
continuation of work he first presented at the Washington meeting.  He
presented the changes in draft-suzuki-git-uus-assignment-02.txt and
discussed the open issues.  This draft is also going to be presented to
the MPLS WG.

Joan Cucchiara presented the current status of the NHRP MIB,
draft-ietf-ion-nhrp-mib-03.txt.  She presented an overview of the
MIB’s groups and tables. There are three groups, the general group, the
nhc group, which needs to be supported in the client, and nhs group, for
servers.

There are two open issues she would like feedback for on the list:

1. There was a request on the list to add MPOA-specific information to
   the MIB.  She feels that this is a duplication of the MPOA MIB, and
   would prefer not to add it.

2. Adding a nhrpClientNexHopResTable object for debugging – it would
   hold an error return code. However, this is very transient
   information, and she doesn’t plan it at this time.

The following work is still outstanding:

* Fix the nhrpClientRegistrationtable.
* Add to the front section a description of the new tables, and how
  ifIndex is used.
* Add more reference clauses and textural conventions.

Please provide feedback and comments on the list.  She plans one more
revision of the MIB, followed by last call in April.

Felix Wu presented his and Cliff Wang’s SCSP Security Analysis,
draft-wang-ion-sec-scsp-00.txt.  Felix discussed security concerns
about the current draft, based upon their work on OSPF security
analysis.  He gave a quick SCSP overview, and showed examples of
possible attacks against SCSP.  SCSP already has a security mechanism
which uses hop-by-hop authentication, but Felix described an attack from
an “insider” that had access to a trusted SCSP entity.  Other possible
attacks include attempted denial of service.

OSPF already has the ability to digitally sign link state
advertisements, and this same sort of mechanism could be used for SCSP,
by digitally signing the cache state updates.  However, this could lead
to additional denial of service attacks because of the performance hit
that comes from the use of public key cryptography.  Their suggestion is
to detect problems after they occur rather than try to prevent them
(intrusion detection).  They recommend that SCSP enhance the
detectability and robustness of the protocol. There was some amount of
contention between whether an implementation should try to fight back,
because this could create a lot of traffic on the network and itself
become a denial of service attack.  Jim Luciani suggested instead
notifying the NMS that there was a problem occurring.  There was no
consensus in the meeting for adding additional security mechanisms to
SCSP at this time.

Peter Schulter spoke on the current status of the Ipv6 drafts,
draft-ietf-ion-ipv6-01.txt and draft-ietf-ion-ipv6-atm-01.txt.   Peter
gave an overview of the current contents of the drafts.  There is still
one open issue with the baseline specification – a new option number is
required from the ipng working group.  Once the option number is
assigned, the baseline document will be ready for last call.  There was
a typo regarding the IP MTU in the ATM draft, and this will be
corrected.  Once that is done, it will also be ready for last call.  The
updates are expected soon.

Jim Luciani presented NHRP with mobile NHCs,
draft-luciani-ion-nhrp-mobile-nhc-00.txt.  This goes back to work that
was originally proposed over two years ago.  While some provisions were
made in the current NHRP specification for mobility, the current
security mechanism does not promote mobility, since it requires a
pairwise trust relationship between the NHC and a large number of
potential NHSes.

Jim’s suggested modification is to add a new TLV for registration and
purges.  It will have end-to-end semantics between the NHC and the
serving NHS.  This will allow the NHC to register with its home NHS in a
secure manner.  The NHC only needs a trust relationship with its home
NHS, and not the other NHSes that relay its registration and purge
requests.  He asked that it be sent out for WG last call.

________________________________________________________________________
Andrew G. Malis  [email-masked]  phone:978 952-7414   fax:978 392-1484
Ascend Communications, Inc.        1 Robbins Road     Westford, MA 01886
X-Info: To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
X-Info: 'unsubscribe ion' in the body of the message.

---

From: Muneyoshi Suzuki <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 1998 12:15:25 +0900

Dear,

> Muneyoshi Suzuki presented "Assignment of the Information Field and

I posted presentation materials to the following URLs.

http://www.nal.ecl.net/~suzuki/ietf41-ion-kitami-presen.ps
http://www.nal.ecl.net/~suzuki/ietf41-ion-presen.ps

All ITU-T SG11 WP1 contributions and documents related to this topic
(include NTT contributions which will be discussed in next SG11 meeting)
are available at:

http://www.nal.ecl.net/SG11WP1/

Thanks,

Muneyoshi Suzuki
NTT Multimedia Net. Labs.
X-Info: To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
X-Info: 'unsubscribe ion' in the body of the message.