Subject: LANEv1

From: Umberto Poschi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 06 Dec 1997 10:31:36 +0100

I would like to ask some questions concerning LANE v1.0:

1) Is it possible for a LEC to belong to different ELANs ? If so, how
can it distribute its MAC and ATM addresses on the ELANs?

2) How does the bridging between two ELANs work?
2.a) If the bridge has one LECs for each side, at which level (cells,
Ethernet frames, or IP   packets) are data exchanged between  them?

                Thanks

                            Umberto

---------------------------------------------
Umberto Poschi
Consorzio Pisa Ricerche (CPR)
Italy
---------------------------------------------

---

From: Paul Koning <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 5 Dec 1997 09:56:07 -0500

>>>>> "Umberto" == Umberto Poschi <[email-masked]> writes:

 Umberto> I would like to ask some questions concerning LANE v1.0: 1)
 Umberto> Is it possible for a LEC to belong to different ELANs ? If
 Umberto> so, how can it distribute its MAC and ATM addresses on the
 Umberto> ELANs?

Each LEC belongs to exactly one ELAN, but a system can contain as many
LECs as you want.  So you can have several LECs all using the same ATM
network, each talking to a separate ELAN.

 Umberto> 2) How does the bridging between two ELANs work?  2.a) If
 Umberto> the bridge has one LECs for each side, at which level
 Umberto> (cells, Ethernet frames, or IP packets) are data exchanged
 Umberto> between them?

That depends on whether you mean "architecturally" or "in the
implementation".  From the protocol standards point of view, a LEC
provides the MAC service, and bridging is a client of that.  So it
operates at the Ethernet frame level.

An implementation can do whatever it wants so long as it has the same
observable effect; in particular, it may be possible to operate to
some extent at the cell level though that wouldn't be easy.  It
wouldn't make much sense for a bridge to operate at the IP packet
level because the data it has to handle is not necessarily IP traffic.

	paul

---

From: Srinivasan Balaji <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 05 Dec 1997 10:26:47 -0500

> can it distribute its MAC and ATM addresses on the ELANs?

No, one LEC is only a member of 1 ELAN. Though one could design a model
in which a module supports multiple ELANs, but they all will be
logically different LECs.

> Ethernet frames, or IP   packets) are data exchanged between  them?

There is only L3 Routing between two different ELANs (IP Level).

-- 
-----------------------------------------------------------------
Srinivasan Balaji           Voice : (732) 283-2770 xtn.303
Ficon Technology            Fax   : (732) 283-2848
1000 Route 9 North          mailto:[email-masked]
Woodbridge, NJ 07095        Web   : http://www.ficon-tech.com
-----------------------------------------------------------------