Subject: (ION) Administrivia: The new ION list and SPAM

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 1997 13:55:02 -0500 (EST)

This is both a test message for the new list, and information on how
Sun has implemented SPAM and other junk email elimination on its IETF
lists.

Sun hosts a number of IETF email lists, now including the ion list.
They all use the same mechanism, so this will be familiar to those of
you, for example, on the ipng list.

You are all automatically approved for sending email to the ion list
from the email account by which you have subscribed to the list.
However, what if you want to send from another account, such as from a
different client at your company, or from your personal ISP account?

Whenever you send from a previously unencountered email address, your
message will be kicked up to a sysadmin, who will see if it looks like
a valid email message (as opposed to SPAM, or other junk mail such as a
mailer bounce notice).  If it looks valid, the sysadmin will approve
its sending, and add your new email address to a separate "autoapprove" 
list.  In addition, you'll receive a message stating: 

"Welcome to the autoapprove mailing list!"

>From that point on, that address will be automatically approved to
send message to the list.

Of course, the sysadmins will just delete SPAM and junk mail without
approving their being sent to the list.

This adds a bit of a delay the first time you send from a new account,
but I think you'll agree that it's worth it to be rid of the junk.
This has worked very well on the other lists that Sun administers.

If you have received this, it means that the new list is working :-),
and I encourage you all to start posting to [email-masked]
instead of the old address.  My next step will be to install a pointer
back at the old address to point it to the new one.

Note that you MUST use [email-masked] - just using sun.com or
eng.sun.com will bounce.  Now would be a good time to put it in your
address book! 

Thanks much,
Andy
________________________________________________________________________
Andrew G. Malis  [email-masked]  phone:978 952-7414   fax:978 392-1484
Ascend Communications, Inc.        1 Robbins Road     Westford, MA 01886

X-Info: To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
X-Info: 'unsubscribe ion' in the body of the message.