Subject: PVC-only IPOA MIB support

From: Paul Koning <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 14:57:43 -0500

The IPOA MIB has a pretty complete set of conformance requirements and
subsetting statements, but it seems to me that one aspect of IPOA is
not fully covered yet: the requirements for an implementation that
supports only PVCs.

The main issue is the description of the ipoaArpClientTable.  It seems
that this only applies to SVC implementations, but that point is not
stated explicitly, and some of its wording seems to say otherwise.
A PVC-only implementation does not have an ATM ARP client.  And while
a few of the counters might make sense, many don't.  Finally, row
status (as a way to create and delete rows in this table) doesn't seem
to apply to PVC only implementations.

My preference is to see the conformance section state that this table
applies only if you're speaking the client side of the client-server
ATM ARP protocol, i.e., if you're doing IPOA over SVCs.

	paul

-- 
!-----------------------------------------------------------------------
! Paul Koning, NI1D, C-24183
! Xedia Corporation, 119 Russell Street, Littleton, MA 01460, USA
! phone: +1 978 952 6000 ext 115, fax: +1 978 952 6090
! email: [email-masked]
! Pgp:   27 81 A9 73 A6 0B B3 BE 18 A3 BF DD 1A 59 51 75
!-----------------------------------------------------------------------
! "The only purpose for which power can be rightfully exercised over 
!  any member of a civilized community, against his will, is to prevent
!  harm to others.  His own good, either physical or moral, is not
!  a sufficient warrant."    -- John Stuart Mill, "On Liberty" 1859

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 11 Nov 97 08:55:39 EST

Paul,

>ATM ARP protocol, i.e., if you're doing IPOA over SVCs.

A PVC only implementation would need just the ipoaPvcConfigTable and
the ipoaVcTable. I don't feel that the failure of the MIB's
conformance section to explicitly state this via its units of
conformance group structure is important enough at this point to
recall the MIB from IESG review. I will keep this in mind
for any potential updates that occur in the future.

Regards, Ken