Subject: Re: Tired of Waiting

From: "Richard J. Sexton" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 18:28:15 -0400 (EDT)

At 11:45 PM 7/14/98 +0200, Robert Shaw wrote:
>Christopher Ambler wrote:
>> 
>> Your assessment is as inaccurate as your basis for the claim. What
>> is the difference between a registry making an honest profit and a
>> registrar making an honest profit? If both provide good service,
>> contractually prohibit gouging and harm to the Internet, where is the
>> harm?
>
>Because this is the Internet public infrastructure and not your personal
>playground to make a fast buck. History has taught us a big lesson.
>.com represents 85% of all gTLD registrations. There is a reason: gTLDs
>are non-portable, quasi-non-interchangeable goods (imagine 'ownership'
>of .inc in a world of 100 million SLD delegations). Therefore, competition 
>between registries (aka gTLDs) is fantasy. So get over it. Become a registrar. 
>Go forth and suffer *real* competition, not pseudo-competition because you 
>have a lock on a gTLD. 

Yeah, thanks anyway Bob, but I'd prefer not to pay 3 - 10 times as much for
a domain registraton fvia this ITU sponsored "protection".

--
The most important thing in the programming language is the name.  A
language will not succeed without a good name.  I have recently invented
a very good name and now I am looking for a suitable language.
     -- D. E. Knuth, 1967

---

From: "Perry E. Metzger" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 21:17:16 -0400

> a domain registraton fvia this ITU sponsored "protection".

You know, you keep claiming that CORE registrars are going to charge
vast amounts, but I don't see any evidence of that. I suppose this is
one of those "chant something often enough and people will eventually
believe it" sort of deals.

In any case, ANY organization upset at how much CORE registrars were
charging will, under our system, be free to simply join CORE and
charge less. Presumably they would get customers, assuming their
service was acceptable. The free market in action, you know.

Perry