Subject: (ION) nhrp: packet encapsulation?

From: "Paul Henri" <[email-masked]>
Date: 30 Jan 1998 14:01 EST

Hi,

Questions about encapsulation for nhrp.

1. There is a protocol id assigned to nhrp in the assigned numbers rfc
(rfc1700). Can this be used for encapsulating nhrp inside ip? I
realize the draft spec seems to preclude this.

2. Nhrp encapsulation is defined to be llc/snap in the draft spec. In
the context of atm, does that imply *only* rfc1483-type llc/snap? Or
can it be llc/snap encap within a lan emulation 802.3/802.5 packet?

Thanks,
pdh
---
Paul Henri
[email-masked]
X-Info: To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
X-Info: 'unsubscribe ion' in the body of the message.

---

From: "Andrew G. Malis" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 1998 15:00:08 -0500 (EST)

Paul,

> realize the draft spec seems to preclude this.

No; NHRP, like ARP, is at the same layer as IP.  

> can it be llc/snap encap within a lan emulation 802.3/802.5 packet?

It certainly can be LLC/SNAP on a LAN; I know of at least one vendor
that either has, or is planning to, implement NHRP on LANs.

With regards to LAN Emulation, you had best check out the MPOA spec,
since the ATM Forum already did all of the design need to make LAN
Emulation and NHRP work together.

Note that the encapsulation used depends on the type of network NHRP is
being used on.  For ATM and SMDS (and 802 LANs), you would use LLC
SNAP.  For Frame Relay and X.25, assuming that NHRP is defined for
their use, you would use NLPID/SNAP.

Regards,
Andy
________________________________________________________________________
Andrew G. Malis  [email-masked]  phone:978 952-7414   fax:978 392-1484
Ascend Communications, Inc.        1 Robbins Road     Westford, MA 01886