Subject: IANA Automatic Response Message Re: GSSAPI service registry update

From: Internet Assigned Numbers Authority <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 98 15:18:51 PST

Hi.

This is an automatic reply to acknowledge that your message has been
received by [email-masked].

Because of the number of requests, some of the processing must be done
automatically.

If you are looking for the current information about any of the kinds
of assigned numbers, names, or other parameters we maintain, you can
find the online files via FTP at:

        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/

or via the web at:

        http://www.iana.org/iana/

While we will review your message and reply as soon as possible, it
could take up to 10 working days to process your request.

Regards,

The Internet Assigned Numbers Authority

---

From: Chris Newman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 1998 15:19:39 -0800 (PST)

Can you please create a link to the GSSAPI service registry from the
top-level IANA registry web page?

IANA registry web page:
  <http://www.iana.org/div7/iana/descript.html>
GSSAPI service registry:
  <http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/gssapi-service-names>

In addition, could you remove the second paragraph from:
  <http://www.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/service-names>
After a discussion on the cat WG mailing list there were no objections to
the observation that DNS WKS protocol name semantics are not compatible
with GSSAPI service names (the former are associated with a specific port,
while the latter are associated with a protocol or class of
related protocols regardless of the port used).

Finally, here's one more to register in the GSSAPI service registry:

Service Name      Usage                              Reference
------------      -----                              ---------
ftp               file transfer/FTP/TFTP             [RFC2228]

[RFC2228] Horowitz, M., Lunt, S., "FTP Security Extensions", RFC 2228,
          Cygnus Solutions, Bellcore, October 1997, Appendix I.

---
Thank you for all the hard work you do maintaining IANA registries.

		- Chris