Subject: RE: New mail?

From: "Larry Osterman (Exchange)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 May 1998 14:18:22 -0700

I believe this indicates a bug in the Cyrus server.  I concur totally with
Barry's interpretation of the behavior of the \Recent flag.  I believe that
the language in 2.3.2 at the top of page 9 of RFC2060 makes this the only
reasonable interpretation of the \Recent flag, and Cyrus isn't following it.
In particular, the language indicates "This session is the first session to
have been notified about this message".  But clearly below both sessions 1
and 2 are notified that the message is recent, which violates the sentence
above

Larry Osterman
Sent from larryo-laptop.dns.microsoft.com running NT5 and Outlook 98 and
Exchange Server 5.5.  Please notify the sender of any difficulties

-----Original Message-----
From: Cyrus Daboo [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Monday, May 11, 1998 1:58 PM
To: Barry Leiba; IMAP Discussion List
Subject: Re: New mail?

Hmm, well I just tested this with our Cyrus server (no relation :-) ) and it
did this:

Opened connection #1 to INBOX - 1 recent
Opened connection #2 to INBOX - 0 recent
Sent mail to myself
NOOP on #1 - 1 recent
NOOP on #2 - 1 recent
Sent mail to myself
Closed #1
NOOP on #2 - 2 recent

Thus with both connections open, the '* n RECENT' response is the same for
both. This server, at least, does not behaviour in the manner you describe
above. I can't speak for other servers, though the spec says the exact
behaviour in these circumstances is 'undefined'.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Cyrus Daboo                                 <mailto:[email-masked]>
Cyrusoft International, Inc.                  <http://www.cyrusoft.com>
Voice: +1 412 605 0499                             Fax: +1 412 605 0705
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
     Proud Purveyors of Mulberry: Internet Mail from the Ground Up
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~