Subject: Re: (ION) NHRP Queries

From: "Albert Manfredi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Oct 1998 15:51:17 -0400

>In principle, the NHRP part of the ATM backbone doesn't even have
to
>all be NHRP compliant. Some of it could just be RFC 2225, for
>example. So it is really the edge IP routers of the NHRP island(s)
>that behave as NHCs as well as NHSs.

Aargh. What I meant was, in principle the ATM backbone doesn't even
have to be completely NHRP compliant. ...

Bert
[email-masked]

X-Info: To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
X-Info: 'unsubscribe ion' in the body of the message.

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 6 Oct 1998 10:48:59 +0200

Greeting !

I have a question regarding the MPS'es in MPOA. What im trying
to figure out is how and/or where they get their information to
answer an NHRP question concering mapping between ip-mac-atm adress.

Do the perform ARP and LE_ARP via the LANE service, in order to get 
the ATM adress of the destination LEC, or am i missing something 
completely ?

Regards
Taisto Qvist
Network Consultant/Teacher

---

From: George Swallow <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 1998 17:21:24 -0400

Hi -

>the ATM adress of the destination LEC, or am i missing something 

You've got it just right.  Note that there should be a high cache hit
rate.  Also, if the IP address is locally attached to the MPS and the
MPS snoops on the virtual circuit that the arp response arrives on,
one can infer the ATM address without the LE-ARP.

...George

==================================================================
George Swallow       Cisco Systems                   (978) 244-8143
                     250 Apollo Drive
                     Chelmsford, Ma 01824
X-Info: To unsubscribe, email [email-masked]' with
X-Info: 'unsubscribe ion' in the body of the message.