Subject: (ION) RFC 2843 on Proxy-PAR

From: RFC Editor <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 12:03:23 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 2843

        Title:	    Proxy-PAR
        Author(s):  P. Droz, T. Przygienda
        Status:     Informational
	Date:       May 2000
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked]
        Pages:      13
        Characters: 27891
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso: None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ion-proxypar-arch-02.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/rfc2843.txt

Proxy-PAR is a minimal version of PAR (PNNI Augmented Routing) that
gives ATM-attached devices the ability to interact with PNNI devices
without the necessity to fully support PAR. Proxy-PAR is designed as a
client/server interaction, of which the client side is much simpler
than the server side to allow fast implementation and deployment. 
 
The purpose of Proxy-PAR is to allow non-ATM devices to use the
flooding mechanisms provided by PNNI for registration and automatic
discovery of services offered by ATM attached devices.  The first
version of PAR primarily addresses protocols available in IPv4. But it
also contains a generic interface to access the flooding of PNNI. In
addition, Proxy-PAR-capable servers provide filtering based on VPN IDs
[1], IP protocols and address prefixes. This enables, for instance,
routers in a certain VPN running OSPF to find OSPF neighbors on the
same subnet. The protocol is built using a registration/query approach
where devices can register their services and query for services and
protocols registered by other clients.

This document is a product of the Internetworking Over NBMA Working
Group of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.echo 
Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.