Subject: DHCP use of Node ID

From: "Hattig, Myron" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 11:08:55 -0800

Kenji,

In light of recent bridging discussions you may want to
consider the following points:

1) All DHCP packets sent over 1394 should use NETWORK_CHANNEL
(aka IP broadcast mechanism).  This includes packets sent
by DHCP forwarding agents.
2) Unicasting DHCP packets over 1394 should not be done
because of the transient nature of Node id. If DHCP packets
are unicasted, the DHCP forwarding agent should not use
source information from that packet's 1394 header to return
DHCP responses.
3) Add warnings and notes related to the transient
nature of the embedded node Id in the chaddr data.

Are there other comments on this DHCP proposal?

Remember our WG's goal is to submit a 1394/DHCP spec to the
appropriate IETF DHCP wG so they can incorporate the 1394/DHCP
spec into whatever documents they see fit.

-myron

---

From: Randy Turner <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 11:56:47 -0800

Are you saying that DHCP "requests" should NOT be unicast? Or ALL DHCP packets (requests and responses) should NOT be unicast? It's
not clear to me from (1) and (2) below which type of packet you are referencing.

Randy

Randy Turner
Sharp Laboratories of America
[email-masked]