Subject: [Off topic - For those in Asia] The APRICOT Week at a Glance ( Version 1.1 ) - The Asia Pacific Internet Festival of 1999

From: Barry Raveendran Greene <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 2 Feb 1999 19:04:26 +0100

[This is off topic - but for those in Asia, this is an FYI about the annual
Internet Operations Summit for Asia and Pacific .... ]

               !! Early Bird Sign up ends on 12 Feb!        !!
               !! REGISTER NOW by Going to the on-line to   !!
               !! http://www.apng.org/apricot/apricot.html  !!
               !! and save $50 USD on registration cost     !!

                The APRICOT Week at a Glance ( Version 1.1 )
                 The Asia Pacific Internet Festival of 1999

Venue: SunTec City Convention Centre, downtown Singapore
Dates: 28 February 1999 to 7 March 1999
URL: http://www.apng.org/apricot99 (in English, Japanese, Korean, and
Chinese)

APRICOT'99 will consist of two days of tutorials (1-2 March 1999) and
seminars followed by three days of conferences consisting of concurrent
Technical, Business, Education, Policy and other tracks. (3-5 March 1999)

In addition to other back-to-back meetings of Asia Pacific Internet
organizations APNG, APNIC, APIA, APTLD, and their respective working groups,
and other Internet conferences such as Internet World Asia @ Singapore 1999
and Singapore LINUX Conference 1999, APRICOT'99 will be hosting within its
conference tracks:

   * ICANN Meeting, the Internet Corporation for Assigned Names
     and Numbers, the successor organization to IANA. (3 March 1999)
   * APPLe Policy Track
   * Women in IT BoF
   * APNG Education Track
   * APSIRC WG (Security CERTs and FIRSTs in Asia and Pacific)
   * Regional Internet eXchange Point (IXP) Update BOF
   * APIA Business Track

In it's tradition of empowering the Internet community, APRICOT'99 will
again offer unique tutorials that vital to an ISP's operations. These
tutorials are presented by an instructor team that is the top %1 of the ISP
Community.  Through APRICOT, they are offering the ISP and Telco community
knowledge, experience, and information that is not available in any other
forum.

Some of the material is unique - one time only at APRICOT'99. For example,
"Tools Used at DIGEX and Verio to Manage Their Networks" by Randy Bush & Ed
Kern, is unique in that the internal network techniques and tools of two US
Tier 1 ISPs will be shared with any who come to the tutorial. New and
existing ISPs/Telcos can learn from the first hand experience gained from
two gurus and apply them to their networks.

Here is a list of the APRICOT Tutorials:

"ISP System Administration" by Barbara L. Dijker & Evi Nemeth
"Sendmail Configuration and Operation" (Updated for Sendmail 8.9) by Eric
Allman
"Internet QoS and Traffic Management" by Geoff Huston
"Internet Exchanges: The State of the Art" by Bill Manning
"Designing Scaleable IP Networks" by Justin W. Newton
"Optical Internetworking" by Marty Schulman
"VoIP Standards Efforts and Impacts" by Scott Bradner
"Routing Policy Specification Language and Analysis Tools" by David Kessens
and Cengiz Alaettinoglu
"Deploying VPN's and Secure Extranets" by Bruce Perlmutter
"Managing Acceptable Use" by Barbara L. Dijker
"Promoting Routability" by Philip Smith
"Voice and Telephony Over IP" by Drew Freyman
"IPv6: The New Version of the Internet Protocol" by Steve Deering
"Tools Used at Digex and Verio to Manage Their Networks" by Randy Bush & Ed
Kern
"Security in All Seven Layers" by Gene Deutsch
"Safeguarding The Business Process: E-Commerce Security" by Dr. Kelly Jones
"Broadband Wireless Local Loop" by Dewyane Hendricks
"Cable Modem Protocols and Technology" by Mark Laubach
"APNIC Member Training: Address Policy & Administration" by Anne Lord & Paul
Wilson

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that all room numbers refer to those at the SunTec City - Singapore
International Convention and Exhibition Center (SICEC)

 Date         Time        Room            Event

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                          MR 204          APNG I18n/XDSL WG (APNG WG SLAP
 Sunday, 28   0800-1230                   cancelled)
 Feb                      MR 205          vacant

              1300-1800   MR 209          APNG Disability SWG ENABLE'99
                                          Symposium

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
              0900-1800   MR 208, 209,    8 APRICOT Tutorials
                          306, 308-314

                          MR204           APNG AP-ISOC Meeting
                                          (unconfirmed)
              0800-1230   MR205           APNG APSIRC WG Meeting
 Monday, 1
 Mar                      MR307           APNG-APTLD Meeting on
                                          Internationalisation of the DNS
                          MR 206          APTLD Workshop on DNS Policy
              1330-1800
                          MR 307          APNG General Meeting
                                          APNG Chairman's Commission
              1830-2130   MR 307          Critical Infrastructure
                                          Protection

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
              0900-1800  MR 208, 209,    8 APRICOT Tutorials
                          306, 308-314
                                          ICANN Board Committee Meetings
 Tuesday, 2   0800-1800   MR 204-207      (closed door)
 Mar
              0800-1230   MR 307          APTLD Country Reports Track
              1330-1800   MR 307          APTLD Membership General Meeting

              Evening     To be           APRICOT Opening Reception
                          determined      (unplanned)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                          APRICOT Opening and Plenary
              0900-0945:  MR 201          Keynote:
                                          Professor Dave Farber
              0945-1300:  MR 201          ICANN Open Track
 Wednesday, 3 1330-1700   MR 205          ICANN Open Track
 Mar
              1330-1700   MR 202,203      2 APRICOT Technical Tracks
              1330-1700   MR 208          APRICOT Business Track
                                          APRICOT BOF
              1800 - 1930 To be           - Peering/Exchanges
                          determined      - Y2K

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                          APRICOT Plenary Keynote
              0900-1000   MR 205          Chris Moore
                                          Van Jacobson
 Thursday, 4  1030-1700   MR 202,203      2 APRICOT Technical Tracks
 Mar
              1030-1700   MR 208          APRICOT APNG Educational Track
                                          APRICOT BoFs
              1800 - 1930 To be           - iDNS
                          determined      - PGP signing
                                          - Women in IT BOF

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                          APRICOT Plenary Keynote
                                          Ms Esther Dyson, ICANN
              0900-1000   MR 208          Mr Leong Kheng Thai, Director
                                          General, Telecommunications
 Friday, 5                                Authority of Singapore
 Mar          1030-1700   MR 208          APRICOT APPLe Policy Track
              1030-1700   MR 202, 203     APRICOT Technical Track
              1030-1700   MR 204          APNIC Executive Council Meeting

              Evening     To be           APRICOT Social Event(unplanned)
                          determined

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 Saturday, 6  0800-1800   MR 202          APNIC Annual General meeting
 Mar
              0800-1800   MR 201          APIA AGM

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

 APRICOT Home Page http://www.apng.org/apricot99/index.html

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~
APRICOT (Asia & Pacific Rim Internet Conference on Operational Technologies)

                       Singapore March 1 - 5, 1999

-- The Annual ISP Operations and Business Summit in Asia and Pacific --

                         http://www.apricot.net

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~