Subject: Re: Unit_Sw_Version

From: Peter Johansson <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 02:21:43 EST

In a message dated 99-01-29 16:18:59 EST, [email-masked] writes:

<<Use of the RFC number allows us to identify MCAP, ARP, as well as IPv4 with
a single Unit_Sw_Verions number. Also if we produce another RFC to address
IPv4 over 1394 networks with bridges, we can do so. Just the EtherType does
nothing to identify MCAP and ARP and does not allow us to identify IPv4 over
bridged 1394 networks.>>

I strongly agree that an RFC number is an appropriate value for
Unit_SW_Version.

The whole point of Unit_Spec_ID and Unit_SW_Version, taken together as a
48-bit number, is to uniquely identify a DOCUMENT that specifies the software
interface. This was the concept in the CSR Architecture for configuration ROM.

Peter Johansson

Congruent Software, Inc.
98 Colorado Avenue
Berkeley, CA  94707

(510) 527-3926
(510) 527-3856 FAX

[email-masked]