Subject: Re: Unit_Sw_Version

From: "Hattig, Myron" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Feb 1999 12:23:23 -0800

Hello,

I sent mail to IANA which forwarded the mail to the Area Directors.
The summary of the response is to read RFC 2434. I read RFC 2434
and here are my current thoughts.

The safest thing to do is request the IANA to allocate a name
space titled IEEE 1212 Unit_Sw_Versions. State that these
numbers are the Unit_Sw_version numbers when the IEEE 1212
Unit_SpecID equals 0x00005e.

If we agree to request the IANA to allocate Unit_Sw_Version
values, then we need to provide a policy to the IANA by
which they can allocate the numbers. The policy we have
discussed so far is to use the RFC number as the Unit_Sw_Version
value. If for some reason the authors of another document want
a value other than the RFC number, then additional policies
would be needed.

RFC 2434 defines several policies. Among these, I think the
expert review is most applicable. It requires the IANA to
maintain a list of expert volunteers. If a request comes
to the IANA to use a Unit_Sw_Version other than an RFC
number then the IANA would request the experts to review
the request to be approved or not.

Do people think we should go through the IANA?
If yes, are these policies reasonable?

Thanks,

-myron