Subject: [ipcdn] Multicast Mapping and Authorization

From: "Ziper, Anna" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 2000 11:20:53 -0800

Kaz and Stuart,

I'd like to clarify some points on this issue. We had such conversation
on reflector, but I still have some questions.

There are two MIB tables for implementation BPI+ multicast.
docsBpi2CmtsIpMulticastMapTable - this table maps multicast addresses to
SAIDs.
docsBpi2CmtsMulticastAuthTable    - this table maps a multicast SAID to
the CM that is authorized to use it.

Both tables include data for dynamic and static SAIDs. For static SAIDs
tables can include provisioned information. It is possible to get
mapping an Ip address to a SAID using the first table, then to check a
CM authorization for the SAID by the second table. But for dynamic SAIDs
the tables include only tracking info. So for dynamic Ip multicast
addresses CMTS creates the table entries by itself. The different
behavior depended on type of SAID causes the problem of management these
tables.

1. How CMTS can distinguish between static and dynamic Ip multicast
addresses?

2. Both tables say: "Note: For dynamic multicast SAIDs, create access
does not apply".
    I.e. if operator updates the table for dynamic SAID, CMTS should
reject it?

3. The first table docsBpi2CmtsIpMulticastMapTable maps multicast
addresses to SAIDs with ifIndex.
    Does it mean that different ifIndexes for the same multicast group
can be mapped into different SAIDs?
    at least for static SAIDs. Can CMTS reject multi SAID mapping for
the same multicast address?

4.  What the meaning of mask in this table for dynamic SAID, if in this
case entries created by CMTS.

5. Can we use these standard tables only as tracking info? I.e. they are
filled only by CMTS.
    "Create access does not apply for both types of SAIDs".
    The question is there is any test that checks functionality of these
tables for set.

I am going to define our proprietary MIB table, that includes Multicast
Ip Address, type of multicast address, Said (for dynamic CMTS creates by
itself), and list of legal cable modems for the group. I want to be sure
that there are no other standard tables included such info.
I still want to set different ranges for static SAIDs and dynamic SAIDs
to avoid collisions in numbers because different sources assign SAIDs.
CMTS can update standard MIB tables using this one.

Thank you, Anna

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn