Subject: [ipcdn] DOCSIS 1.1 QoS

From: jerome tassel <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 16:36:04 +0000

I am trying to understand what DOCSIS 1.1 actually provides. If  I
understand well it can be used to provide bandwidth guarantees to a
single cable
modem. Like: assure 2Mbps from an IP@ to at modem. There is a profile
per cable modem.

BUT if all users are within their profile and the sum of their traffic
is more than the downstream channel bandwidth (27 or 40Mbps) what
happens to the extra traffic? Is it randomly dropped or are the traffic
priority within each cable profile retained. i.e. lower priority traffic

to each cable modem would get dropped before hihger priority ones ?

Or is the handling of this vendor specific?

Jerome

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn

---

From: "Sukanta Ganguly" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 2000 09:45:57 -0800

This is a subjective question and is dependent on the service provider as to
how it would want to handle. Every subscriber has a profile which will ( or
better if I say 'should') be respected. Ideally the provider should not
subscribe more than the total downstream bw, but there are lot of smart
algorithms, based on hueristics that could be applied so that over
provisioning can be done and based on the policies appropriate decisions
could be made. Dropping packets, delayed scheduling etc can be done.

SG

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
jerome tassel
Sent: Thursday, November 30, 2000 8:36 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [ipcdn] DOCSIS 1.1 QoS

Jerome