Subject: [ipcdn] new version of BPI MIB: draft-ietf-ipcdn-mcns-bpi-mib-02.txt

From: Rich Woundy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 06 Nov 2000 19:01:58 -0500

Folks,

I just submitted a new version of the BPI MIB, 
draft-ietf-ipcdn-mcns-bpi-mib-02.txt, as an internet draft. This revision 
is as a result of a review with the IETF MIB doctor. Most of the changes 
were minor textual changes.

I didn't send a copy of the new BPI MIB draft to the mailing list, but I 
will forward it by request. It should show up on the reflectors in the next 
few days.

Here is a summary of changes between draft-ietf-ipcdn-mcns-bpi-mib-01.txt 
and draft-ietf-ipcdn-mcns-bpi-mib-02.txt.

1. I made minor textual changes to the Abstract, including a comment that 
CableLabs requires implementation of the BPI MIB:

    CableLabs requires the implementation of this MIB in DOCSIS 1.0 cable
    modems that implement the Baseline Privacy Interface, as a
    prerequisite for DOCSIS 1.0 certification.

2. I updated the text of "The SNMP Management Framework" in section 1, per 
<http://www.ops.ietf.org/mib-boilerplate.html>.
3. I made a minor editorial change to the "DOCSIS" definition in section 2.7.
4. I made a minor editorial change to the requirements for CMTS management 
in section 3.2, "Management requirements". I changed the wording from "The 
CMTS MUST support configuring and viewing all FSM-related parameters..." to 
"The CMTS MUST support viewing (and configuring if possible) all 
FSM-related parameters..." This is a better reflection of the current 
contents of the BPI MIB, not any real change in requirements or in the MIB 
structure itself.
5. I added a new section 3.3, "Textual convention", which states the following:

    CableLabs has required the implementation of prior versions of this
    MIB in DOCSIS 1.0 cable modems that implement the Baseline Privacy
    Interface, as a prerequisite for DOCSIS 1.0 certification.

    The Baseline Privacy Interface MIB contains eight MIB objects defined
    with the (now obsolete) DisplayString textual convention, and one MIB
    object defined with the (now undesirable) IpAddress textual
    convention.

    In the judgment of the working group, it is preferable to keep these
    less-than-desirable textual conventions, in order to maintain
    backward compatibility and interoperability with DOCSIS 1.0 cable
    modems that implemented previous versions of this MIB.

6. I added more descriptive text to the MODULE-IDENTITY object, docsBpiMIB, 
including more contact information, a statement about the CableLabs 
baseline privacy requirement, and new REVISION clauses.
7. I removed an extraneous sentence from the DESCRIPTION clauses of 
docsBpiCmAuthGraceTime, docsBpiCmTEKGraceTime, docsBpiCmAuthWaitTimeout, 
docsBpiCmReauthWaitTimeout, docsBpiCmOpWaitTimeout, 
docsBpiCmRekeyWaitTimeout, and docsBpiCmAuthRejectWaitTimeout. The removed 
sentence stated "The value of this object cannot be changed while the 
authorization state machine is running." All of these objects are 
read-only, so the sentence was misleading.
8. I added back the docsBpiCmtsDefaultAuthGraceTime and 
docsBpiCmtsDefaultTEKGraceTime MIB objects, clearly marking them as 
obsolete objects in the MIB. This prevents folks from accidentally 
reassigning the OIDs. I also added a new group, 
"docsBpiObsoleteObjectsGroup", so that the MIB compiled cleanly with the 
obsolete objects.
9. I added the following text to the DESCRIPTION clauses of 
docsBpiIpMulticastMapControl and docsBpiMulticastAuthControl: "There is no 
restriction on the ability to change values in this row while the row is 
active." RFC 2579 requires that the BPI MIB "specify whether the status 
column must not be `active' in order for the value of some other column of 
the same conceptual row to be modified." I followed the examples of 
RowStatus objects in RFC 2669.
10. I updated the DOCSIS references, and added a reference to RFC 2570 to 
accommodate the new MIB boilerplate.

-- Richard Woundy

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn