Subject: [ipcdn] Descriptions for docsQosSer

From: Murwin William-LWM008 <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 20:16:03 -0400

When draft-ietf-ipcdn-qos-mib-08.txt was submitted to the mailling list there had been a disscusion about the descriptions for the objects:
docsQosServiceFlowPkts
docsQosServiceFlowOctets
docsQosServiceFlowPolicedDropPkts
docsQosServiceFlowPolicedDelayPkts

Please review the current descriptions from draft-ietf-ipcdn-qos-mib-08.txt  :

docsQosServiceFlowPkts OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX          Counter64
    MAX-ACCESS      read-only
    STATUS          current
    DESCRIPTION    "The number of Packet Data PDUs classified to this 
                    service flow and forwarded beyond a service flow
                    maximum rate policing function.
                    This object does not count MAC-specific
                    management messages.
                    CMs not classifying downstream packets may report 
                    this object's value as 0.
		
		    Particularly for UGS flows, packets sent on the
                    primary service flow in violation of the UGS grant 
                    size should be counted only on the primary service 
                    flow's counters.	    	
	            
		    Unclassified upstream user data packets (i.e. non 
		    MAC-management) forwarded to the default upstream
		    service flow should be incremented for this object.

		    This object does include packets counted by 
                    docsQosServiceFlowPolicedDelayPkts, but does not include
                    packets counted by docsQosServiceFlowPolicedDropPkts.

		    This counter's last discontinuity is the 
	            ifCounterDiscontinuityTime for same ifIndex that 
		    indexes this object."
    ::= { docsQosServiceFlowStatsEntry 1 }

docsQosServiceFlowOctets OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX          Counter64
    MAX-ACCESS      read-only
    STATUS          current
    DESCRIPTION    "The number of octets from the byte after the MAC 
	            header HCS to the end of the CRC for all packets counted 
                    in the docsQosServiceFlowPkts object for this row. 
                    Note that this counts the octets after payload header
                    suppression has been applied. CMs not classifying to a
                    downstream service flow may report this object's 
                    value as 0 for that flow.

                    This counter's last discontinuity is the 
	            ifCounterDiscontinuityTime for same ifIndex that 
		    indexes this object."
    ::= { docsQosServiceFlowStatsEntry 2 }

docsQosServiceFlowPolicedDropPkts OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX          Counter32
    MAX-ACCESS      read-only
    STATUS          current
    DESCRIPTION    "The number of Packet Data PDUs classified to this
                    service flow dropped due to:
	               (1) implementation-dependent excessive delay while
	                   enforcing the Maximum Sustained Traffic Rate; or
		       (2) UGS packets dropped due to exceeding the 
	                   Unsolicited Grant Size with a 
	                   Request/Transmission policy that requires such 
                           packets to be dropped.
		    Classified packets dropped due to other reasons must be
	            counted in ifOutDiscards for interface of this 
	            service flow.

		    This counter's last discontinuity is the 
	            ifCounterDiscontinuityTime for same ifIndex that 
		    indexes this object."
    ::= { docsQosServiceFlowStatsEntry 6 }

docsQosServiceFlowPolicedDelayPkts OBJECT-TYPE
    SYNTAX          Counter32
    MAX-ACCESS      read-only
    STATUS          current
    DESCRIPTION    "This object counts only packets delayed in order to 
		    maintain the Maximum Sustained Traffic Rate. This object 
	            will always report a value of 0 for UGS flows because the
		    Maximum Sustained Traffic Rate does not apply.

		    This counter's last discontinuity is the 
	            ifCounterDiscontinuityTime for same ifIndex that 
		    indexes this object."	
    ::= { docsQosServiceFlowStatsEntry 7 }

We do not want to have the same discussion about the description of these objects when we send our for comments version 9 of the DOCS-QOS-MIB.
If there are any more comments please send then as soon as possible.
Thank you again for reviewing this.

Sincerely,
Mike Patrick & Will Murwin

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn

---

From: "Kirk Friedman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2003 15:26:40 -0700

Will and Mike,

Thanks for doing all this work.  The descriptions seem to be written from a
CM only perspective.  The compliance statement puts
DocsQosServiceFlowStatsTable into the base group for CMs and CMTS.  Section
2.4.2 seems to imply that these statistics are only kept for packets going
to/from the RF interface.  That might also need to be rewritten unless that
is what is intended.

If that is what is intended, then the individual parameters or compliances
should be indicate which directions for the CMTS the parameters apply to.
Perhaps the equivalent of "CMTS' MUST report this as 0 for upstream service
flows" for the PolicedDrop/Delay packet counters.  Otherwise I have some
questions:

1) From a CMTS perspective, why is docsQosServiceFlowPolicedDelayPkts
applied to upstream SFs at all?  This would be very difficult with
concatenation of multiple packets inside of one burst.

2) Regarding docsQosServiceFlowPolicedDropPkts.  Part of the description is
"Classified packets dropped due to other reasons must be counted in
ifOutDiscards for interface of this service flow."  But for the CMTS, the
OSS spec has ifOutDiscards as MUST be 0 for upstream interfaces.

Thanks,

Kirk Friedman
Correlant Communications
15110 Avenue Of Science
San Diego, CA., 92128

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On Behalf Of
Murwin William-LWM008
Sent: Wednesday, June 04, 2003 5:16 PM
To: Docsis-Oss (E-mail) (E-mail); IPCDN (E-mail) (E-mail)
Cc: Murwin William-LWM008; Patrick Michael-LZZ007
Subject: [ipcdn] Descriptions for docsQosSer

When draft-ietf-ipcdn-qos-mib-08.txt was submitted to the mailling list
there had been a disscusion about the descriptions for the objects:
docsQosServiceFlowPkts
docsQosServiceFlowOctets
docsQosServiceFlowPolicedDropPkts
docsQosServiceFlowPolicedDelayPkts

Please review the current descriptions from draft-ietf-ipcdn-qos-mib-08.txt
:

We do not want to have the same discussion about the description of these
objects when we send our for comments version 9 of the DOCS-QOS-MIB.
If there are any more comments please send then as soon as possible.
Thank you again for reviewing this.

Sincerely,