Subject: [ipcdn] Signaling MIB - Draft 3 - Last Call - Default values

From: "David De Reu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 17:39:22 +0100

Dear all,

For a number of objects, the MIB does not specify default values. To my
knowledge, it was the intention of the document to let the MTA vendor
choose and implement reasonable default values in these cases. As
proposed, I will try to suggest wording to add to the description text
to make this more clear.

- pktcSigDevStandardRingCadence

  "A default value MUST be provided, but it is left up to the
  implementation to choose a reasonable default."

- pktcSigDevRingSplashCadence

  "A default value MUST be provided, but it is left up to the
  implementation to choose a reasonable default."

- pktcSigDevToneTable

  "The MTA device MUST make sure that, after the provisioning cycle,
  the table is fully populated (i.e. for each possible index, an entry
  MUST be defined) using reasonable defaults for each row that was not
  defined by the provisioing information."

- pktcSigDevRingCadenceTable

  Do we also need default values for each of the 128 possible entries in
  the pktcSigDevRingCadenceTable?

  I would also like to note that there are already a few default values
  foreseen in ETSI TS 101 909-4, as per Table B.1:

  Table B.1: Ring cadence default values
  cr(x)| t1-ring | t2-idle | t3-ring | t4-idle | t5-ring | t6-idle
  -----+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------+---------
  0    | 1000    | 4000    | 1000    | 4000    | 1000    | 4000
  1    | 1000    | 500     | 1000    | 3500    | 1000    | 3500
  2    | 500     | 500     | 500     | 500     | 1000    | 3000
  3    | 500     | 500     | 1000    | 500     | 500     | 3000
  4    | 1000    | 500     | 500     | 4000    |         |
  5    |         |         |         |         |         |
  6    |         |         |         |         |         |
  7    |         |         |         |         |         |
  8    |         |         |         |         |         |   
  ...  |         |         |         |         |         |
  127  |         |         |         |         |         |
  
  Maybe we can express this as:

  "The MTA device is allowed to provide appropriate default values for
  each of the ring cadences."

Thanks,

David

_____________________________________________________
David De Reu
tComLabs
Stapelplein 70/004 - 9000 Ghent - Belgium
Tel: +32 9 269 22 91 - Fax: +32 9 329 31 74
www.tComLabs.com
_____________________________________________________

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn

---

From: "Randy Presuhn" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 17:31:07 -0800

Hi -

> From: "David De Reu" <[email-masked]>
> To: "IPCDN Mailing List" <[email-masked]>
> Sent: Monday, February 02, 2004 8:39 AM
> Subject: [ipcdn] Signaling MIB - Draft 3 - Last Call - Default values
...
> proposed, I will try to suggest wording to add to the description text
...

But this is exactly what DEFVAL means.  RFC 2578 clause 7.9 says:

   The DEFVAL clause, which need not be present, defines an acceptable
   default value which may be used at the discretion of an agent when an
   object instance is created.  That is, the value is a "hint" to
   implementors.

Randy