Subject: RE: re: [ipcdn] Signaling MIB - Draft 3 - Last Call - Default val ues

From: Beacham Gordon-CGB005 <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 15:56:57 -0800

My comments:
>- pktcSigDevStandardRingCadence, pktcSigDevRingSplashCadence
>"A default value MUST be provided, but it is left up to the implementation to choose a reasonable default." - 
It seems to me that having a requirement of this nature in the MIB is not meaningful. Also, I don't see how "reasonable" can be tested. An arbitrary value is not meaningful. Instead, how about "The default value for this object is as specified in the "L" package as defined in the PacketCable NCS specification".

>- pktcSigDevToneTable
>"The MTA device MUST make sure that, after the provisioning cycle, the table is fully populated (i.e. for each possible index, an entry MUST be defined) using reasonable defaults for each row that was not defined by the provisioning information."

This statement is not necessary. By utilizing the DEFVAL clause an initial value for each parameter associated with a row can be established. Unfortunately, I see the DEFVAL clause is missing in many of the table objects. Consequently, I would recommend a DEFVAL clause be added for the following objects:

pktcSigDevToneFirstFrequency    	DEFVAL { 0 }
pktcSigDevToneSecondFrequency 	DEFVAL { 0 }
pktcSigDevToneThirdFrequency	DEFVAL { 0 }
pktcSigDevToneFourthFrequency	DEFVAL { 0 }
pktcSigDevToneFirstToneOn		DEFVAL { 0 }
pktcSigDevToneFirstToneOff		DEFVAL { 0 }
pktcSigDevToneSecondToneOn	DEFVAL { 0 }
pktcSigDevToneSecondToneOff	DEFVAL { 0 }
pktcSigDevToneThirdToneOn		DEFVAL { 0 }
pktcSigDevToneThirdToneOff		DEFVAL { 0 }
pktcSigDevToneFourthToneOn	DEFVAL { 0 }
pktcSigDevToneFourthToneOff	DEFVAL { 0 }
pktcSigDevToneWholeToneRepeatCount	DEFVAL { 0 }
pktcSigDevToneSteady			DEFVAL { false } 

The DEFVAL approach would also minimize any operator configurations.
>- pktcSigDevRingCadenceTable
>"The MTA device is allowed to provide appropriate default values for each of the ring cadences." 
How about:

"The MTA is allowed to predefine the ring cadence for one or more rows in the pktcSigDevRingCadenceTable."

Gordon Beacham
Digital Core Gateways, BCS
Motorola, Inc.
858-404-2335
[email-masked]

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn

---

From: "David De Reu" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 08:31:08 +0100

> >"A default value MUST be provided, but it is left up to the
> implementation to choose a reasonable default." -
> It seems to me that having a requirement of this nature in the
> MIB is not meaningful. Also, I don't see how "reasonable" can be
> tested.

Well, about anything that is not plain silence could be considered
reasonable :-)

> An arbitrary value is not meaningful. Instead, how about
> "The default value for this object is as specified in the "L"
> package as defined in the PacketCable NCS specification".

Fine with me. In that case however, I would make the default value
explicitly clear using a DEFVAL clause.

> >- pktcSigDevToneTable
> >"The MTA device MUST make sure that, after the provisioning
> cycle, the table is fully populated (i.e. for each possible
> index, an entry MUST be defined) using reasonable defaults for
> each row that was not defined by the provisioning information."
>
> This statement is not necessary. By utilizing the DEFVAL clause
> an initial value for each parameter associated with a row can be
> established.

I agree with the DEFVAL clause approach, but don't we still need to make
sure that every row is present in the table?

> The DEFVAL approach would also minimize any operator configurations.

Agreed.

> rows in the pktcSigDevRingCadenceTable."

Agreed.

David

_____________________________________________________
David De Reu
tComLabs
Stapelplein 70/004 – 9000 Ghent – Belgium
Tel: +32 9 269 22 91 – Fax: +32 9 329 31 74
www.tComLabs.com
_____________________________________________________