Subject: [ipcdn] Changes to draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-eventmess-05.txt

From: "Sumanth Channabasappa" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 21:54:11 -0700

All,
 
This email summarizes the comments received on eventmess-draft-04 and
the changes made before submission as draft-05.
 
regards
Sumanth 

Link:

ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipcdn-pktc-eventmess-05.tx
t

Outstanding issues:
None

Recommendations not incorporated:

- Recommendation to include throttling of local events, 

#1:
Origin (comment 8a and 9):
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipcdn/current/msg01691.html

Further discussion:
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipcdn/current/msg01791.html
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipcdn/current/msg01792.html
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipcdn/current/msg01793.html
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipcdn/current/msg01795.html
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipcdn/current/msg01796.html
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipcdn/current/msg01797.html
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipcdn/current/msg01798.html
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipcdn/current/msg01799.html

Reasoning/Final resolution:
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipcdn/current/msg01801.html

#2:
Origin (comment 14):
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipcdn/current/msg01691.html

pktcDevEventDescrText and pktcDevEventDescrClass - These objects are
read-write.  It seems odd to me that these objects would be writable.
Is it really intended that these are writable objects?

Reasoning/Resolution:
http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/ipcdn/current/msg01782.html

Comments incorporated
--------  ------------
1) I suggest "PacketCable" and "IPCablecom"  be defined in the
Terminology section.

2) There are a number of places in the document that makes reference to
"PacketCable device".  Shouldn't this be "PacketCable or IPCablecom
device"?  Or more simply "MTA device".

3) The naming convention we've been using on other MIB modules in IPCDN
adds "-IETF-" to the module name to distinguish it from the
corresponding MIB module being developed in CableLabs.  So, it this
case, the MIB module name should be something like
"PKTC-IETF-EVENT-MIB".

4) I think the ORGANIZATION clause should be IPCDN rather than
CableLabs.

5) The DESCRIPTION clause is missing the mandatory copyright notice.

6) The OID layout doesn't conform to the recommended layout given in
"Guidelines for MIB Documents", Appendix D.

7) pktcDevEnvetReportStatus - The last sentence of the DESCRIPTION
clause states "... Defined by PacketCable by default."  Should this just
PacketCable or PacketCable and IPCablecom.

8b) pktcDevEvThrottleAdminStatus
- "A value of stopAtThreshold(3) causes event message transmission to
cease at the threshold, and not resume until directed to do so." How is
the device directed to resume sending event messages?

10) pktcDevEvThrottleInterval  - The DEFVAL clause should be on a
separate line for readability.

11) pktcDevEventDescrTable - Should the reference to "PacketCable" be
"PacketCable/IPCablecom"?

12) pktcDevEventDescrId - "The event identifier can either be
PacketCable defined or vendor-specific." Would be good to provide a
reference to the PacketCable spec where the events are defined.

13) pktcDevEventDescrReporting - Should define what each one of the bit
values mean.

15) pktcDevEvLogCorrelationId - "...per section 5.4.5 of [3]"  Reference
[3] doesn't exist in the references section.

pktcDevEvLogCorrelationId
     "This MIB Object contains the correlation ID 
     generated by the MTA during the initiation of the
     last provisioning flow, within or following which
     the event occurred. 
     For information on the generation of correlation ids,
     refer to the corresponding PacketCable/IPCableCom
     Device Provisioning specifications."

16) [PKT-SP-EVEMIB1.5] - There is an odd character after the
"PacketCable"

17) Reference section - There are number of reference in the body of the
text that do not exist in the references section.  Need to make sure all
reference are cited.  The ones I found are PKT-SP-PROV, PKT-SP-MIB-MTA,
PKT-SP-MGCP, RFC3435, PKT-SP-CODEC, and RFC2119.

18) Security Considerations - Per the MIB Guidelines, need to explicit
discuss all MIB objects, even if to only state that there are no
security issues with the object.

- There is no MIB Object defined as 'pktcDevEventThrottle 3' (we have
MIB Objects for 2 and 4)

- The Reference in the description of the MIB Object
'pktcDevEvLogCorrelationId' seems to be out of place.

_______________________________________________
IPCDN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipcdn