Subject: Reminder - IJDMB Special Issue on "IP and Broadcasting Systems Convergence" - Deadline: 1 Oct

From: Georgios Gardikis <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 01 Sep 2009 16:50:35 +0300

IP and Broadcasting Systems Convergence

Call for Papers

In
order to achieve access and core network interworking and service
ubiquity within the vision of the Internet of the Future, IP arises as
a key element for the realization of a unified/fusion environment which
enables the convergence/synergy between traditional and emerging
technologies. In this context, IP can be also seen as the “gluing
factor” in the rapidly progressing convergence between the
technologically different sectors of networking and broadcasting.

This
convergence, witnessed both at technological and service levels, is
mainly empowered by the evolution of broadcasting standards (DVB, ISDB,
ATSC, CMMB) and the recent advances in IP networking.

In this
way, a broadcasting platform is no longer restricted to transmitting
‘bouquets’ of TV programs. The ability to include IP services into the
broadcast multiplex, along with the large coverage area and the high
bit rate capabilities, allows broadcasting systems to constitute
flexible broadband IP networking infrastructures, complementing
existing and emerging wireless access networks such as 3G, WiMAX, and
LTE.Conversely, the provision of broadcast TV services over IP networks
and over the Internet is further fading the borders between the
IP/networking and broadcast worlds.

The aim of this special issue
is to attract state-of-the-art contributions focusing on the
convergence between the IP and broadcasting systems, that is, the
provision of IP services over broadcasting platforms and vice versa;
the streaming of A/V broadcasting services over IP networks. Areas of
interest include, but are not limited to:

Broadband IP access over DVB, ISDB, CMMB, ATSC, DMB, MediaFLO

Satellite-based access networks

IPv4/IPv6 encapsulation and transport

Broadcast TV and radio over IP

Security and quality of service

Architectural and design aspects

Interaction channel technologies

Cross-layer optimization

IP datacast issues and ESG

IPTV over broadcasting systems

Social television and novel services

Business aspects and standardization activities

Regulatory issues

Digital dividend and exploitation for broadband IP access

Before submission authors should carefully read over the journal's
Author Guidelines, which are located at http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ijdmb/guidelines.html.
Prospective authors should submit an electronic copy of their complete
manuscript through the journal Manuscript Tracking System at http://mts.hindawi.com/
according
to the following timetable:

Manuscript Due

October 1, 2009

First Round of Reviews

January 1, 2010

Publication Date

April 1, 2010

Guest Editors

Georgios
Gardikis,
NCSR “Demokritos”, Greece

George Xilouris,
Technological Educational Institute of Crete, Greece

Marie-Jose
Montpetit,
MIT Research Laboratory of Electronics, USA

Alessandro
Vanelli-Coralli, ARCES, University of Bologna, Italy

Daniel
Negru,
LaBRI-CNRS, University of Bordeaux, France