Subject: IETF Meeting Summary

From: Murali Rajagopal <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Mar 1999 17:15:22 -0800

Attached are minutes of the Minneapolis IETF IPFC WG Meeting. Please review
the minutes for accuracy and completion. The report will be forwarded to the
IETF Administration on Friday March 26th.

****************************************************************************
********************************************

IETF Meeting Minutes and Summary:

Number of Attendees: 46. Attendee list will be available after Proceedings
are published.

Agenda:

1.	IP and ARP over Fibre Channel
</internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipfc-fibre-channel-05.txt>  (134547 bytes)
draft Status - Murali Rajagopal (Chair) 
	      Latest  <draft-ietf-ipfc-fibre-channel-05.txt> has been
advanced to IESG consideration.
	      IESG expected to announce its decision for a PROPOSED STD by
end of March

2.	Definitions of Managed Objects for the Fabric Element in Fibre
Channel Standard
</internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipfc-fabric-element-mib-04.txt>  (90181 bytes)
-  Kha Sin (brocade Communications) indicated that the
<draft-ietf-ipfc-fabric-element-mib-04.txt> is ready for advancement to a
PROPOSED STD.
	      There were no objections from the meeting attendees going to
the PROPOSED STD. Mail List will announce 
	      this to the rest of the WG. Kha Sin gave a brief presentation
on the MIB and its differences with respect to the 
	      Fibre Channel Management Framework Integration MIB. Kha Sin
used the presentation material from the Chicago 
	     1998 Meeting
(http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/98aug/slides/ipfc-Interconnect-slides-98aug
/index.html
<http://www.ietf.org/proceedings/98aug/slides/ipfc-Interconnect-slides-98aug
/index.html> )

3.	Fibre Channel Management Framework Integration MIB -
<draft-blumenau-fcmgmt-int-mib-00.txt>- Steve Blumenau from EMC gave a
presentation of a newly submitted draft. Steve indicated that this was the
work of a number of vendor companies (FiberAlliance) and the intent of
submitting this to the IETF was to eventually make this a Proposed Standard.
There was no objection from the WG attendees to adopt this as a work item
for the group. Steve estimated that he would have "Simulation and
Implementation proofs of base plus changes" by Sep 99 with a target date of
Nov 99 for completion. Steve was advised that any interim meeting notice
should be sent on the IPFC mail list.
	      Steve's presentation can be found at:
	      ftp://standards.gadzoox.com/pub/misc/ietf0399.ppt
<ftp://standards.gadzoox.com/pub/misc/ietf0399.ppt> 

4.	Fibre Channel Interconnect MIB
</internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipfc-interconnect-mib-00.txt>  (23352 bytes)
expired in Feb 99 and this work has been largely replaced by the
draft-blumenau-fcmgmt-int-mib-00.txt. Kha Sin indicated that there was an
intent to bring a 1c.txt version of the InterConnect MIB. Murali Rajagopal
suggested that it would be better to bring in contributions to the
draft-blumenau-fcmgmt-int-mib-00.txt rather than a MIB.

5.	Murali Rajagopal requested volunteers for writing a Frame work
document that described the relationship of the two MIBs that were presently
considered. Furthermore, this Framework document will be required to show
how future MIBs (FC-BB, FC-SW2, etc.) related to Fibre Channel may fit in.
Gavin Bowly (Gadzoox Networks), Lee Hu (Vixel Corp.), and Mark Carlson (Sun
Microsystems) volunteered to write the document. It was also tentatively
decided that a draft would be ready for discussion during the Oslo meeting.
Agenda for the Oslo meeting will focus on MIBs and the start an early
discussion on the requirements for moving the IPFC document to the DRAFT STD
level.