Subject: [IPFIX] An advanced for Reducing Redundancy

From: Andrew Johnson <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 2006 11:47:17 +0000

Hello Elisa, Lutz and Benoit

While reviewing the Reducing Redundancy draft I had a thought
about an "Advanced Technique" that may be worth mentioning in
your draft.

If one were to define several templates, with different lengths
of cpId in each, then for cpIds 0 to 255 you could save a byte
or two over templates with a larger cpID.

I would expect in many cases certain Common Properties will
be more common than others, so an intelligent Exporting Process
may be able to ensure the more common of the Common Property
sets are had lower indices to save the most bytes.

One more that might be a bit obtuse.  The technique for
defining separate cpIds for source and destination Common
Properties is mentioned in the draft.  For common combinations
a third category of cpId could be used which maps to two other
cpIds.

i.e.:
  cpID C -> cpID A + cpID B
  cpID A -> source address A, source port A
  cpID B -> destination address B, source port B

regards

Andrew

_______________________________________________
IPFIX mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipfix