Subject: [IPFIX] Metering Process in IPFIX concentrators

From: kobayashi atsushi <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 05 Nov 2006 02:09:35 -0800

Dear all,

I'm being confused about Metering Process in IPFIX concentrators.
Please comments about this case.

IPFIX-Arch draft described about Metering Process as follows.

Metering Process
     The Metering Process generates Flow Records.  Inputs to the
     process are packet headers and characteristics observed at an
     Observation Point, and packet treatment at the Observation Point
     (for example the selected output interface).

It seems to be that Metering process generates flow records from only 
packets, not from flows.

However, IPFIX-Arch does not cover or mention intermediate nodes such as
concentrators such as concentrator or mediator.

On the other hand, RFC 3917 (Section 9) mention concentrator, and it
describes that a concentrator can have (partial) metering process.    

In the concentrator case, inputs to this process are Received Flow
Records, and characteristics are based on the flow content and final
Flow records are created by this process. It generates final flow
records from fine granular flows.

I think that it is better for IPFIX-Arch to mention such case. If it
is not, the partial Metering Process in concentrator seem not to be true
Metering Process. Is it correct?

Best Regards,
Atsushi Kobayashi

--- 
Atsushi KOBAYASHI  <[email-masked]>
NTT Information Sharing Platform Lab.
tel:+81-(0)422-59-3978 fax:+81-(0)422-59-5637

_______________________________________________
IPFIX mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipfix