Subject: Re: [IPFIX] RFC 5101 on Specification of the IP Flow Information Export (IPFIX) Protocol for the Exchange of IP Traffic Flow Information

From: Joe Loiacono <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 12:53:19 -0500

I admit I've only kept one eye on this list for a while, so please forgive 
me, but what does this release mean in terms of vendors. Does this make 
IPFIX a formal standard that we can expect to be showing up on vendor's 
devices from now on? Does this need any further approval? Or is this it?

Thanks,

Joe

[email-masked] 
Sent by: [email-masked]
01/31/2008 08:24 PM

To
[email-masked], [email-masked]
cc
[email-masked], [email-masked]
Subject
[IPFIX] RFC 5101 on Specification of the IP Flow Information Export 
(IPFIX) Protocol for the Exchange of IP Traffic Flow Information

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 5101

        Title:      Specification of the IP Flow 
                    Information Export (IPFIX) Protocol for the 
                    Exchange of IP Traffic Flow Information 
        Author:     B. Claise, Ed.
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       January 2008
        Mailbox:    [email-masked]
        Pages:      63
        Characters: 147196
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ipfix-protocol-26.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc5101.txt

This document specifies the IP Flow Information Export (IPFIX)
protocol that serves for transmitting IP Traffic Flow information over
the network.  In order to transmit IP Traffic Flow information from an
Exporting Process to an information Collecting Process, a common
representation of flow data and a standard means of communicating them
is required.  This document describes how the IPFIX Data and Template
Records are carried over a number of transport protocols from an IPFIX
Exporting Process to an IPFIX Collecting Process.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the IP Flow Information Export
Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and 
suggestions
for improvements.Please refer to the current edition of the Internet
 Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization state and
 status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

The RFC Editor Team
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

_______________________________________________
IPFIX mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipfix

_______________________________________________
IPFIX mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipfix

---

From: Joe Loiacono <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2008 12:53:19 -0500

Thanks,

Joe

To

        RFC 5101

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

The RFC Editor Team

...

---

From: Nevil Brownlee <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Feb 2008 09:17:26 +1300

> devices from now on? Does this need any further approval? Or is this it?

RFCs 5101, 5102 and 5103 are the three Standards-Track RFCs that define
IPFIX 'on the wire.'  There are quite a few more IPFIX drafts either in the
RFC Editor queue or still being worked through, so the WG certainly isn't
done yet!  However, this publication should mean that vendors can go ahead
and implement it in their devices - I trust that will start to happen
real soon now.

Also, congratulations to all those who've worked so hard (and for so
long) to see these three RFCs published :-)

Cheers, Nevil Brownlee (IPFIX co-chair)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
  Nevil Brownlee                    Computer Science Department | ITS
  Phone: +64 9 373 7599 x88941             The University of Auckland
  FAX: +64 9 373 7453   Private Bag 92019, Auckland 1142, New Zealand

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
This mail sent through University of Auckland http://www.auckland.ac.nz

ii"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
Sender: [email-masked]
Errors-To: [email-masked]

> devices from now on? Does this need any further approval? Or is this it?

RFCs 5101, 5102 and 5103 are the three Standards-Track RFCs that define
IPFIX 'on the wire.'  There are quite a few more IPFIX drafts either in the
RFC Editor queue or still being worked through, so the WG certainly isn't
done yet!  However, this publication should mean that vendors can go ahead
and implement it in their devices - I trust that will start to happen
real soon now.

Also, congratulations to all those who've worked so hard (and for so
long) to see these three RFCs published :-)

Cheers, Nevil Brownlee (IPFIX co-chair)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
  Nevil Brownlee                    Computer Science Department | ITS
  Phone: +64 9 373 7599 x88941             The University of Auckland
  FAX: +64 9 373 7453   Private Bag 92019, Auckland 1142, New Zealand

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
This mail sent through University of Auckland http://www.auckland.ac.nz