Subject: RE: comments to src/dst selection

From: Richard Draves <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 2000 13:14:44 -0700

I'm working on revisions to draft-ietf-ipngwg-default-addr-select-00.txt,
based on feedback at the Adelaide IETF and my implementation experience.

Unfortunately we don't have much operational experience yet, and that's what
it will take to know if the policy mechanism is providing the right kinds of
flexibility, making the right tradeoffs between flexibility & complexity,
and if the default policies are reasonable.

There have been a couple messages to the list since Adelaide that I haven't
responded to, and I want to catch up. First:

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Jun-ichiro itojun Hagino [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, March 28, 2000 4:45 PM
> To: Richard Draves
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: comments to src/dst selection
> 
> 
> 	I had no time to comment on it in meeting so I email it to you.
> 
> 	How do we lookup policy table, when we are on scope boundary?
> 
> 	(If I'm wrong please corret) policy table should have scope with
> 	addreseses so that we can handle cases for scope 
> boundary (or zone
> 	boundary) router.  scope id must always meet whenever they are
> 	specified.

I think the prefix policies could have scope ids. So the lookup rule to find
a policy is that if a policy for a scoped prefix has a non-zero scope-id,
then the scope-id must match. If the policy has a zero scope-id, then it's a
wildcard.

I think this level of flexibility should be optional, because I'm having
trouble coming up with scenarios where an administrator would want to take
advantage of this. For example, on a multi-sited node, it would let you have
a policy saying that site-local addresses in one site are preferred over
global addresses, but global addresses are preferred over site-local
addresses in a second site. Is this flexibility that all implementations
SHOULD have?

Rich
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------