Subject: Re: Resend: icmp-name-lookups-05

From: "Matt Crawford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2000 09:28:44 -0500

Sorry for the delay; messages which require actual thinking sometimes
age in the inbox.

The problem you report is that the ICMP code field of a Node
Information message is defined to indicate what is in the Data field:
an IPv4 or IPv4 address or a DNS name.  But one type of message, the
NOOP, has an empty Data field.

I propose that the fix to the document is to say that the Code field
on a NOOP query must be 1 (meaning Data contains a name), and on a
NOOP reponse must be 0 (defined to mean success with a Data field
that may or may not be empty), and in both cases must be ignored on
reception.

OK?
			Matt
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉<[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 2000 02:24:30 +0900

Hello,

>>>>> On Mon, 03 Jul 2000 09:28:44 -0500, 
>>>>> "Matt Crawford" <[email-masked]> said:

> Sorry for the delay; messages which require actual thinking sometimes

Thanks for the answer, and I apologize for this delayed response.

> that may or may not be empty), and in both cases must be ignored on

Hmm..."Data contains a name" might be a bit confusing for an empty
data field, but at least the text is clear enough. I personally think
it is okay. itojun, who is the original querier of this issue, might
have a different opinion, though. (He might also want answers to the
rest of his questions...)

Thanks,

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					[email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------