Subject: RE: Use of same interface id on multiple interfaces (RFC 2373)

From: Murali Krishna Ch <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 15:25:47 +0530

Dear Steve,

Can you please clarify the meaning of "zone identifier",
and am not able to find draft-ipngwg-scoping-arch-01.txt. Can u give
exact site.

Murali.

-----Original Message-----
From:	Steve Deering [SMTP:[email-masked]]
Sent:	Thursday, July 27, 2000 2:50 AM
To:	[email-masked]
Cc:	[email-masked]'
Subject:	Re: Use of same interface id on multiple interfaces (RFC 2373)

At 4:55 PM +0530 7/26/00, Murali Krishna Ch wrote:
>Can we use the same Interface id for multiple interfaces?
>If so what are ISSUES, involved in it?
>For example, if i have one Ethernet interface and 'n' PPP interfaces, 
>is it right to use the same linklocal address constructed from Mac Address for **ALL** the 'n'  PPP links?
>How does it effect the global uniqueness of the address?

Murali,

Yes, a node may use the same link-local address on more than attached
link, and the same site-local address on more than one attached site.
Link-local and site-local addresses are required to be unique only
within the set of interfaces attached to a given link or site, respectively.

The main consequence is that, within a node, any non-global address
must be accompanied by a zone identifier (or an indication of "default
zone") to identify the link or site to which it pertains.

See draft-ipngwg-scoping-arch-01.txt.

Steve
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Brian Haberman" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 2000 09:36:42 -0400

Murali,
     Try
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipngwg-scoping-arch-01.txt

Brian

-- 
Brian Haberman
Nortel Networks
[email-masked]