Subject: Re: quick autoconf question

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 15:08:31 +0200

In your previous mail you wrote:

   The question has to do with NA & NS where the destination address (== the
   target address) is tentative.
   
=> I have an incredibly simple answer: our code doesn't receive packets
to a tentative address!

[email-masked]

PS: I've put "our" because this part was rewritten by Jean-Luc Richier
(more standard ioctl(), DAD check in user mode and no race condition).
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Mohan Parthasarathy <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 2000 13:07:35 -0700 (PDT)

> => I have an incredibly simple answer: our code doesn't receive packets
Ideally one should not recieve packets destined to tentative address
as it is not yet assigned to the interface i.e your machine should
not pick packets for the tentative address.

I have a different question in the same context. Assume two nodes
node A and node B on the same link. If node A (malicious) does
not do *DAD* and sends out a packet with node B's address as source
address to B, B should drop the packet. But this is not mentioned
in the spec anywhere. It assumes that both nodes A and B does
DAD. If node B does not drop the packet, it could potentially
create a neighbor cache entry with node A's source address
which is itself, with node A's h/w address information.

Does the spec say anything on the above ?

-mohan