Subject: Re: look for information

From: "Thomas Eklund" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 2000 23:11:40 +0200

People use to call it Packet over Sonet (PoS) and it is PPP over Sonet/SDH
as you say.

Note that new operators can choose Gigabit Ethernet instead of an TDM based
infrastructure like Sonet/SDH and the result will be 1/10 in the price per
port (compare 10 Gigabit Ethernet to PoS OC-192) which is a strong
incitament for new operators to choose.

This is actually what is happening in Sweden whre Utfors for instance have
it backbone running Gigabit Ethernet.

/Thomas

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
To: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Cc: [email-masked] <[email-masked]>
Date: Thursday, July 06, 2000 2:34 PM
Subject: Re: look for information

>> Hi, I need some information about the possibility to support IP directly
>> over SDH, without passing through ATM.
>
>See RFC 2615. IP isn't generally run directly over Sonet/SDH. Rather,
>people run IP over PPP over Sonet/SDH. The market seems to think this
>is quite adequate.
>
>Thomas
>--------------------------------------------------------------------
>IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
>IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
>FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
>Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
>--------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------