Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipngwg-scoping-arch-01.txt

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Jul 2000 15:29:17 +0200

In your previous mail you wrote:

   I think it would be useful for an SNMP manager (or possibly
   other applications) within a site-local zone to be able to 
   determine which zone ID a zone-boundary router is using to 
   identify the manager's local site.  Do we currently have a way 
   to do this?  Is anyone working on something like this?
   
=> zone ID is local to the node then I think your proposal
should go (and get the same answer) with Jean-Luc's one (*).

   A possible solution would be a new ICMP message that asks for
   the remote host to return the zone ID indicated by the interface
   on which the message was received.  A message sent to a link-local
   address would return a link-level zone ID; a message sent to a 
   site-local address would return the site-level zone ID.  
   
=> ICMP name-lookups are supposed to address all these problems,
perhaps we have to add something in the I-D, but I believe we don't
need new ICMP message(s).

Thanks

[email-masked]

PS: Jean-Luc Richier's problem: you'd like to discover the topology
of a network, you get the routing table from a router, look at gateway
fields of not-direct routes, they give the address of all the downstream
routers attached to the first target.
Problem: these addresses are in general (ie. there is no reason to not be :-)
link-local addresses then you can't use them as destination addresses for
SNMP queries.
Solution: use ICMP name-lookups in order to get a global address of a router.
Exactly what is needed is a proxy service for ICMP name-lookups,

PPS: MZAP (RFC 2776) of course can help and its to-come MIB will give
the perfect answer to your question.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------