Subject: Re: icmp-name-lookups-05.txt>: NOOP

From: "Matt Crawford" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2000 13:40:51 -0500

I jave just submitted a revision of ICMP Name Lookups which addresses
most of Tatuya's and Itojun's concerns.  Not addressed was this:

>	also, we may have scope issue here.  What should happen in the
>	following cases:
>	- if you got node information query from/to global IPv6 address,
>	  with link-local subject address for your node
>	- if we got query from/to link-local address on interface A, with
>	  link-local subject address for interface B

Which, unless there's very strong feeling to the contrary, I'd like
to consider as covered already by this existing text:

    Next, the Responder should decide whether to refuse an answer, based
    on local policy not addressed in this document.  

Also not addressed was:
	- if your (receiving) node node offers proxy service, and you've got
	  scoped subject address in a query packet, how should we interpret
	  the subject address?

This, I think, could either be subtle or obvious depending on the
implementation of the proxy.  I think it's clear that a proxy node
information server has to be in a position to receive any query meant
for the node it's standing in for, so it has to be attached to that
node's link.  Everything follows from that unless difficult cases are
deliberately constructed.
					Matt
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------