Subject: Re: W.G. Last Call on "IP Version 6 Addressing Architecture"

From: Jack McCann <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2000 13:16:21 -0500 (EST)

IPv4-mapped addresses are defined as:

   A second type of IPv6 address which holds an embedded IPv4 address is
   also defined.  This address is used to represent the addresses of
   IPv4-only nodes (those that *do not* support IPv6) as IPv6 addresses.
   This type of address is termed an "IPv4-mapped IPv6 address"...

IPv4-mapped addresses are not limited to IPv4-only nodes.  They can
also be used to represent the IPv4 address of an IPv6/IPv4 node, or
more generally, to represent any IPv4 address in an IPv6 address format.

I suggest replacing this sentence:

                 This address is used to represent the addresses of
  IPv4-only nodes (those that *do not* support IPv6) as IPv6 addresses.

with something like this:

                 This address is used to represent an IPv4 address
  (for example, the IPv4 address of an IPv4-only or IPv6/IPv4 node)
  in an IPv6 address format.

- Jack

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------