Subject: is ipv6 supported in linux?

From: nilesh modi <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 01:08:17 -0800 (PST)

Does linux redhat support ipv6 address ?

When i tried to give my network card the ipv6 address
, it gave me the error that INET6 not supported .

Please guide.

Nilesh.

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get personalized email addresses from Yahoo! Mail - only $35 
a year!  http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Ignatios Souvatzis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 11:39:20 +0100

> , it gave me the error that INET6 not supported .

I have no idea myself, but there are links to a few IPv6 on Linux 
introductions at:

	http://www.ipv6.org/impl/linux.html

I also suggest that you ask your OS vendor (RedHat).

Good luck!
	-is

---

From: Matti Aarnio <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 9 Feb 2001 11:28:21 +0200

> Does linux redhat support ipv6 address ?

	No.  RedHat (6.2, 7.0) are not coming with IPv6 module
	compiled and ready to load.

	You have to roll your own kernel.

	Also the utilities (telnet, ftp, ping, etc.) are not
	guaranteed to work with IPv6 even when the kernel is
	supporting it.

	There is at least one Linux distribution in Poland, which
	does come with IPv6 enabled and utilities checked to support
	it,   but try as I might, I don't remember its name.

	What other distributions contain, that I don't know.
	(SuSE, Mandrake, Slackware, Debian, ...)

> , it gave me the error that INET6 not supported .

/Matti Aarnio <[email-masked]>

---

From: "Jose Melara" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 15 Feb 2001 17:32:46 -0800

> You have to roll your own kernel.

Q1. You mean going through the menuconfig and changing the option to support
IPv6 right?

Q2. Is there any documentation on how to make an address translator IP4 to
IP6? I have a couple of machines running linux on IPv4 with the kernel 2.4.1
compiled to support IPv6.  I also have a server which is supposed to support
IPv6.  Do you, or anyone knows of any documentation on how to make an
address translator?

Thanks,
Jose

_________________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Get your free @yahoo.com address at http://mail.yahoo.com