Subject: Neigbour Solicitation messages without SLLA

From: "Sean Lin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 16:18:58 +1200 (NZT)

I do not think the following was specified in RFC2460 (or I can't find it 
stated anywhere).
	What happens if you receive a Neighbour Solicitation Message with 
unicast addresses without a source link layer address? 
	Do you add an entry with the state set to STALE or INCOMPLETE?
	Or do you just ignore it?

Sean

-------------------------------------------------------------
Sean Lin                 27 Nazareth Avenue
Software Engineer        PO Box 8011
Allied Telesyn Research  Christchurch
phone +64 3 339 3000     New Zealand
fax   +64 3 339 3002     email: [email-masked]
                         web: http://www.alliedtelesyn.co.nz/
-------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Feb 2001 10:26:56 +0100

In your previous mail you wrote:

=> what do you mean by "with unicast"?

=> if the destination is multicast it is just ignored. If the destination
is unicast then the state is not changed and an advertisement is sent
(this can create an entry in the INCOMPLETE state). There is no DoS
issue because the peer must know your link layer address in order to
send an unicast NS.

[email-masked]

PS: NUD is a case you can see unicast NS without SLLA, for instance
for the first packet of NUD... RFC 2460 has a SHOULD for SLLA with
a MAY for no SLLA in the unicast case so you can do near what you like (:-).
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------