Subject: Radius for IPv6

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 13:59:41 +0100

The RADIUS and IPv6 document <draft-aboba-radius-ipv6-05.txt>
is in last call for proposed standard. I don't believe it is a good
thing to have some mods for IPv6 in Radius when we ask for a full
AAA for IPv6, ie. Radius for IPv6 can slow down the deployment of
IPv6 because it provides a transient solution... Of course this is
*not* a technical concern.

Regards

[email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Erik Nordmark <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 14:21:50 +0100 (CET)

> *not* a technical concern.

I think the opposite is the case.

Currently nobody can build an IPv6 PPP NAS since the Diameter protocol
is nor specified neither implemented.
Being able to build such a thing using Radius seems like a good thing 
instead of requiring that Diameter be finished before you can get
dial-in IPv6 access.

  Erik

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 Feb 2001 09:52:02 -0600

fwiw I agree with Erik. Radius is the deployed solution and we should
be glad that it will support IPv6. (Everything should support IPv6:-)

  Brian