Subject: draft-draves-ipngwg-router-selection-01

From: "Richard Draves" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 26 Mar 2001 21:44:55 -0800

draft-draves-ipngwg-router-selection-01 specifies a protocol (optional
extensions to Neighbor Discovery's Router Advertisement) for
distributing routes from routers to hosts. The idea is to help
multi-homed hosts (hosts with multiple physical or virtual network
interfaces), because Redirects don't work for them.

The protocol is defined narrowly, to avoid the traditional problems with
having hosts learn routes from routers. The hosts are not exposed to
routing protocol metrics, routers do not dump their entire routing
tables to hosts, etc.

The ipng working group decided to accept the draft as a work item, but
one of the major comments was that it would be a good idea to solicit
feedback from the operational community. Hence this message. I know the
draft does not relate directly to the multi6 charter, but I'm hoping to
find on the multi6 list operational people with some knowledge of IPv6
who might be interested in this draft. Please confine followup
discussions to the ipng list.

Section 4 is of particular operational interest, because it discusses
router configuration issues.

ftp://ftp.research.microsoft.com/users/richdr/draft-draves-ipngwg-router
-selection-01.txt

Thanks,
Rich
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------