Subject: RE: DDoS Work

From: "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 12:54:53 -0800

> From: Steven M. Bellovin [mailto:[email-masked]]
> In message <[email-masked]>, Jari Arkko writes:
> >
> >* In the Internet Area, there is the itrace WG which is
> >   specifically chartered for looking into DoS, but is
> >   looking only at a particular solution. Is this
> >   solution sufficient for all DoS issues? We're not sure
> >   but at least some of the individual DoS concerns such
> >   as attacking address autoconfiguration don't really
> >   fall on the area that i-trace can deal with.
> 
> Without addressing your general question, IESG policy is that working
> groups should be very carefully focused.  A hypothetical "Fix DDoS
Working
> Group" would probably not meet that test -- there are no concrete
> deliverables.

I would think that a study of mechanisms to trace the actual source of
Internet packets would pass the charter test. After all, there have been
several proposals to do this by letting the routers mark bits in
packets, using a probabilistic algorithm. This seem to fall in the
single problem / existing proposed solution / concrete deliverable
category.

Indeed, we can also debate whether source tracing is useful...

-- Christian Huitema 
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------