Subject: Re: W.G. Last Call on "Unicast-Prefix-based IPv6 Multicast Addresses"

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉<[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 02 Mar 2001 12:05:43 +0900

>>>>> On Tue, 27 Feb 2001 07:35:22 -0800, 
>>>>> Bob Hinden <[email-masked]> said:

>           Title           : Unicast-Prefix-based IPv6 Multicast Addresses
>           Author(s)       : B. Haberman, D. Thaler
>           Filename        : draft-ietf-ipngwg-uni-based-mcast-01.txt
>           Pages           : 5
>           Date            : 26-Jan-01

> Please send substantive comments to the ipng mailing list, and minor
> editorial comments to the authors.  This last call period will end two
> week from today on March 13, 2001.

(Although this may have been discussed...,)

I think the document should clearly specify what the network prefix
part should be when the prefix length is larger than 64.  I know the
draft has the following text

   With the network prefix-based architecture and the current unicast 
   address architecture [RFC 2374], the network prefix portion of the 
   multicast address will be at most 64 bits. 

and I agree that we won't see a longer (standardized) prefix which is
larger than 64bits in length in the near future.  But I still think
the draft should care about the future extensions and
ill-configurations.

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					[email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------