Subject: RE: an unplanned benefit of IPv6

From: "Christian Huitema" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 07:54:29 -0800

> From: Niall Richard Murphy [mailto:[email-masked]]
> On Fri, Mar 30, 2001 at 08:55:15PM +1000, Robert Elz wrote:
> 
> >   | An unplanned deficit of IPv6: operating without DNS will be
much,
> much
> >   | harder. (Particularly if you can't type ":" quickly)
> 
> > That wasn't unplanned, and isn't a defecit - ridding the world of
the
> > use of literal IP addresses is one of the things needed to make
> > renumbering conceivable (if not by itself make it easy).
> 
> Perhaps I was exaggerating for the sake of effect :-)
> 
> I feel there will still be a need to type IPv6 addresses in some
> circumstance no matter what, unfortunately...

We should not equate "operating without the DNS" and "typing addresses
by hand." NAPSTER or Gnutella operate without the DNS; SIP only requires
DNS entries for the proxies. These systems just exchange addresses as
part of their normal operation.

-- Christian Huitema
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------