Subject: Status of Base API

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 08:42:41 -0600

Folks,

The IEEE Austin Group (XNET/POSIX type folks) will be working to merge the
base api draft-ietf-ipngwg-rfc2553-bis-03.txt into the formal API standard
and update XNET 5.2.  This will take till mid-June.  Once that is done their
text will be merged into the above draft and go for update RFC number.  What
we don't want to do is be out of synch with IEEE (who really will
standardize this API) or have to rev another RFC number.  

It also appears there will be a strawman proposed to identify temporary
addresses and other such addresses in the base api which will be needed and
presented to the base api design team in the near future.  Possibly a socket
option.

But at this time the spec is frozen as we don't want to confuse the IEEE
during their process.

regards,
/jim
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------