Subject: more comments (questions) about draft-draves-ipngwg-router-selection-01.txt

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉<[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 15:00:38 +0900

I have a couple of questions on the draft:

1. what should a host do when it receives an RA with the preference
   field being set to 10 (i.e. reserved)?
   - ignore the entire RA.
   - accept the RA, but consider the preference value as another value?
     if so, high/medium/low?
   - other option?

2. if the preference value for a router changes, does/should it
   affect existing destination cache entries?  For example, consider
   the following scenario:
   - a host H receives an RA from a router R1 with the medium
     preference.
   - H sends a packet to an off-link destination D.  H uses R as the
     next hop, and records H in the destination cache.
   - a host A then receives an RA from another router R2 with the high
     preference.
   now, what should happen on the destination cache for D in H?
   Should it be removed once, prompting H to do next hop determination
   again (and to choose the more preferred router R2).  Or, should H
   just keep the old cache and its next hop until it becomes
   unreachable?

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					[email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------