Subject: sending packets before completing DAD

From: NAKAJIMA Nobuyasu <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Feb 2002 19:32:03 -0500 (EST)

Hello,

I am a newbie to this list. I apologize if my question is frequently
asked.

RFC2462 says that the node only accepts particular Neighbor
Solicitation and Neighbor Advertisement messages during DAD process,
and other packets should be discarded. So the node behavior of the
packet reception part in the process of DAD is clear to me.

My question is whether the node in the process of DAD can send the
packets other than Neighbor Solicitations for the purpose of DAD.

RFC2462 says that the tentative address cannot be assigned to the
interface. So I think the node cannot send packets before completing
DAD. Is this interpretation correct?

I would appreciate if somebody would answer to this question.

Thanks
-----
Nobuyasu Nakajima
Toshiba America Research, Inc.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 15:52:27 +0100

In your previous mail you wrote:

=> it can (it should for instance send some MLD joins) but
it must not use the tentative address (i.e. MLD joins should get
the unspecified address as the source address, same thing for
router solicitations).

=> modulo some exceptions for some ICMPv6 packets which can use
the :: source, this is 100% true.

Regards

[email-masked]