Subject: site local addresses

From: "Lori Napoli" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 10:48:37 -0500

From draft-ietf-ipngwg-addr-arch-v3-07 in section 2.4 it states:

      Address type         Binary prefix        IPv6 notation   Section
      ------------         -------------        -------------   -------
      Unspecified          00...0  (128 bits)   ::/128          2.5.2
      Loopback             00...1  (128 bits)   ::1/128         2.5.3
      Multicast            11111111             FF00::/8        2.7
      Link-local unicast   1111111010           FE80::/10       2.5.6
      Site-local unicast   1111111011           FEC0::/10       2.5.6
      Global unicast       (everything else)

Then in section 2.5.6 it states

Site-Local addresses have the following format:

   |   10     |
   |  bits    |   38 bits   |  16 bits  |         64 bits            |
   +----------+-------------+-----------+----------------------------+
   |1111111011|    0        | subnet ID |       interface ID         |
   +----------+-------------+-----------+----------------------------+

So, is it sufficient to say any address that starts with FEC0::/10 is a
site local address or does it have to be FEC0::48?

Lori

---

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 17:41:44 +0100

In your previous mail you wrote:

=> I believe the 07 draft clearly specifies that anything which is in
fec0::/10 but not in fec0::/48 is reserved, i.e. an illegal site-local
address.

Regards

[email-masked]

PS: (for English gurus), I propose s/illegal/malformed/ ?
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------