Subject: Minimum IPv6 Functionality for a Cellular Host -00 IPv6 wg document

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 13:32:55 +0200

Hi!

I'm happy to announce a new version of our draft  "Minimum IPv6 Functionality for a Cellular Host". This draft will become a -00 wg document for IPv6 wg.

Before our draft is publicly announced, it is available here:

http://www-nrc.nokia.com/sua/draft-ietf-ipv6-cellular-host-00.txt

Please read the draft remembering that Your comments are appreciated a lot! All questions considering our draft can be sent to the authors and the IPv6 wg mailing list.

Best Regards,
	           Juha Wiljakka

- - - 

Minimum IPv6 Functionality for a Cellular Host
<draft-ietf-ipv6-cellular-host-00.txt>

Abstract 
    
As an increasing number of cellular hosts are being connected to the 
Internet, IPv6 becomes necessary. Examples of such hosts are GPRS, 
UMTS, and CDMA2000 terminals. Standardization organizations are also 
making IPv6 mandatory in their newest specifications, such as the IP 
multimedia terminals specified for UMTS. However, the concept of 
IPv6 covers many aspects, numerous RFCs, a number of different 
situations, and is also partly still evolving. A rapid adoption of 
IPv6 is desired for cellular hosts. Yet these terminals vary greatly 
in terms of their processing capabilities and task orientation. 
Cellular host software often cannot be upgraded and must still meet 
tough demands for interoperability with other hosts, the cellular 
network, and the Internet. For these reasons it is necessary to 
understand how the IPv6 deployment starts and which parts of IPv6 
are necessary under which situations. This document suggests basic 
IPv6 functionality for cellular hosts, and discusses when parts of 
the functionality is needed, and under which conditions.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------