Subject: Re: I-D ACTION:draft-goswami-ipv6-discovery-link-option-00.txt

From: Matt Crawford <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 08 Jan 2002 10:52:03 -0600

I'm afraid I don't get it.  The proposed new option does nothing the
existing source/target link layer options don't do.  On a medium
"foonet" with a variable length link-layer address, you'd have to
encode the length of the address in the link-layer address field
either way.  (Actually, I'd imagine the length would be likely to be
self-encoding, but that's irrelevant.)  You can specify it in your
ipv6-over-foonet document.

Unless you're envisioning some new way to transmit frames over an
existing physical layer with new address formats ...?

And I assume this is a typo of some sort:

      Length         The length of the option (including the type and
                     length fields) in units of 1/8 th  octets.  Forexample,
                     the length for IEEE 802 addresses is 1 [IPv6-
                     ETHER].
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------