Subject: Query About IPv6

From: "Ramakrishnan" <[email-masked]>
Date: 8 Jan 2002 04:29:44 -0000

Dear Sir/Madam,

  I have some queries regarding IPv6. I am still in the learning stage. So, my question may look very simple for you, but if you answer it, that will help me a lot.

1. What are the entries in the routing table under IPv6?
2. Can an Interface have more than one link local        address?

I'll be looking forward for the answers...

regards,
Ramakrishnan. 

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "zhang hong" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Jan 2002 18:24:10 +0800

1. The routing table under IPv6 is very similar to that of IPv4.

For example, In my cisco router, one of the route entries is as
following(see the Cisco reference for detail):
B   3FFE:2401::/32   [20/3]    via FE80::806B:F0FE,   Tunnel4,
00:37:14/never

In this entry:
B -  BGP protocol
3FFE:2401::/32   -  prefix of the remote network
[20/3]  -  The first  is the administrative distance of the information
source; the second number is the metric for the route
via FE80::806B:F0FE  -  next router
Tunnel4 - interface to remote network
00:37:14/never  -  route update time / route expire time

And in linux, the route table entry  consists of  "Destination , Next Hop,
Flags, Metric, Ref, Use,  Iface" , almost the same as IPv4.

2. The link local address is generated automaticlly when u config the
interface to support Ipv6.
 and it can be added manually to more than one( I have tried in RH Linux7,
but don't know the reason to have more link local address) .

Happy new year!  : )

Zhang Hong

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ramakrishnan" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Tuesday, January 08, 2002 12:29 PM
Subject: Query About IPv6

>
> Dear Sir/Madam,
>
>   I have some queries regarding IPv6. I am still in the learning stage.
So, my question may look very simple for you, but if you answer it, that
will help me a lot.