Subject: RE: IPv6 Addr/Prefix clarification

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2002 10:18:09 -0800

> Philip Homburg wrote:
> The kids get their own networks to play multi-person games, the
> light switches go on a separate network, any piece of hardware
> that is not completely secure should not be on a broadcast
> network, so the ADSL or cable modem, the wireless basestation,
> etc. each get their own networks. VPNs may require their own
> prefixes, etc.

So, the $100 IPv6 linksys home router is going to come with a
layer3, vlan capable switch. (I assume that one would not want
to have a physical switch for each subnet, therefore vlans are
the answer). Possibly stateful packet inspection between the
home subnets. I guess there is nothing wrong with running 802.1Q
over 802.11 either. It looks that we need to pack a Cat5505 with
RSM into a smaller box.

One question: Who is going to configure the vlans and the
access-lists between them? Joe customer?

Michel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Jochen Kaiser <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 01:27:20 +0100

On Fri, Feb 01, 2002 at 10:18:09AM -0800, Michel Py wrote:
[...]
> access-lists between them? Joe customer?

the vlan is not the problem since you can have a default vlan which
is member on all switch ports. it's pre configured. 

but I see your point. 
ipv6 makes L3 easier for the end customer and in return he gets
more fun with L2. 

strange world :-)

jochen kaiser