Subject: Protocol Action: Unicast-Prefix-based IPv6 Multicast Addresses to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 16:34:10 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Unicast-Prefix-based IPv6
Multicast Addresses' <draft-ietf-ipngwg-uni-based-mcast-03.txt> as a
Proposed Standard.  This document is the product of the IPNG Working
Group. The IESG contact persons are Erik Nordmark and Thomas Narten.

The IESG also approved Dynamic Allocation Guidelines for IPv6
Multicast Addresses <draft-ietf-malloc-ipv6-guide-04.txt> as a Proposed
Standard This document is the product of the Multicast-Address
Allocation Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin
and Scott Bradner.

Technical Summary
 
   These two specifications are related to each other, though they were
   developed in different working groups and Areas.  One describes
   a new standard format for the prefix of IPv6 multicast addresses,
   while the other describes a new standard allocation mechanism and
   format for the group identifier, the rightmost portion of IPv6
   multicast addresses.

   The unicast prefix-based IPv6 multicast address specification
   defines an extension to the multicast addressing architecture
   of IPv6.  The extension describes how to embed unicast prefixes
   within the multicast address format to create multicast prefixes.
   By delegating multicast addresses at the same time as unicast
   prefixes, network operators will be able to identify their
   multicast addresses without needing to run an inter-domain
   allocation protocol.

   The dynamic allocation guidelines for IPv6 multicast addresses
   describe the format of the group identifier, the lowest 32 bits
   of the address.  The purpose is to reduce the probability of
   IPv6 multicast address collision, not only at the IPv6 layer,
   but also at the link-layer of media that encode portions of the
   IP layer address into their MAC layer address.  The group
   identifier format defined in the specification is required for
   all IPv6 multicast addresses:  spaces for IPv6 permanent
   multicast addresses and IPv6 permanent group identifiers are
   defined in IANA considerations, as well as the space and format
   for group identifiers created by allocation services and zeroconf
   devices.

   Working Group Summary

   The two working groups that developed these related specifications
   supported their advancement.

   Protocol Quality

   The specifications were reviewed by the IESG by Allison Mankin and
   Thomas Narten.  The authors reported functioning implementations of
   these specifications.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------