Subject: RE: (ipv6) semantics - TLA

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 21 Mar 2002 14:51:33 -0800

> Pekka Savola wrote:
> Or perhaps you should describe in detail what the term would
> be useful for in this context?

There different things involved:

- Allocation policies, which is "We give a /32 to Joe for this reason and a /35 to Jane for that reason".

- Aggregation policies, which is "All networks matching criteria xyz must aggregate at the /xx boundary".

- Addressing architecture, which does not define how to do it but what is is.

The point I am trying to make here is that we need a name or acronym for "ISPs that receive their addresses directly from a RIR". I am not saying that "TLA" is the best definition, but it does fit, regardless of allocation policies and aggregation policies.

There was a reason it was defined in RFC2373 and the changes to draft-ietf-ipngwg-addr-arch-v3-07.txt have not changed this, AFAIK.

I am not proposing to define "TLA" or whatever we come up with as an aggregation policy, but as the concept of ISPs that receive their blocks directly for a registry. How big the block they get is an allocation policy issue, where they aggregate is an aggregation policy issue, who they are is an addressing architecture issue.

Michel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 03:40:57 +0100

HOBBIT = High Order Bytes and BITs 

The prefix allocated directly to an operator by an RIR.

   Brian

---

From: Iljitsch van Beijnum <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2002 08:33:08 +0100 (CET)

On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, Michel Py wrote:

> The point I am trying to make here is that we need a name or acronym for
> "ISPs that receive their addresses directly from a RIR". I am not saying
> that "TLA" is the best definition, but it does fit, regardless of
> allocation policies and aggregation policies.

We currently use "PA (provider aggregateable) block" in IPv4. Can't we use
this in IPv6 too?

Iljitsch van Beijnum

---

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 22:09:45 -0500

> The point I am trying to make here is that we need a name or acronym
> for "ISPs that receive their addresses directly from a RIR". I am
> not saying that "TLA" is the best definition, but it does fit,
> regardless of allocation policies and aggregation policies.

I think the registry terminology would be Local Internet Registry
(LIR). RIRs allocate address space to LIRs.

From:

   IPv6 Address Allocation and Assignment Global Policy
   ftp://ftp.cs.duke.edu/pub/narten/global-ipv6-assign-2001-12-22.txt

2.4.  Regional Internet Registry (RIR)

   Regional Internet Registries (RIRs) are established and authorized by
   respective regional communities, and recognized by the IANA to serve
   and represent large geographical regions.  The primary role of RIRs
   is to manage and distribute public Internet address space within
   their respective regions.  Currently, there are three RIRs: APNIC,
   RIPE NCC, and ARIN.  Preparations are being made to establish LACNIC
   and AfriNIC.

2.5.  National Internet Registry (NIR)

   A National Internet Registry (NIR) is an IR that primarily allocates
   address space to its members, which are Local Internet Registries
   (LIRs).  NIR members are generally Internet Service Providers (ISPs)
   organized at a national level.  A NIR is constituted from ISPs, but
   the NIR itself does not function as an ISP.  NIRs are expected to
   remain neutral to the interests of ISPs of their constituency.  NIRs
   exist mostly in the Asia Pacific Region.

2.6.  Local Internet Registry (LIR)

   A Local Internet Registry (LIR) is an IR that primarily assigns
   address space to the users of the network services that it provides.
   LIRs are generally ISPs, whose customers are primarily end users and
   possibly other ISPs.