Subject: Making ND Optional [Was RE: draft-ietf-ipv6-cellular-host-00.txt -> wg last call?]

From: Margaret Wasserman <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 03:23:35 -0500

And another issue:

>   >          - Making ND optional on point-to-point links
>
>=> RFC 2461 MUST be implemented, the exceptions are
>things like the Link layer suboption which is not
>relevant for these links. Did we miss something else?

The cellular hosts document says:

"Therefore, Neighbor Solicitation and Advertisement messages MAY 
be implemented for the cellular interface."

However, these messages are mandatory in RFCs 2461 and 2462, both
for DAD and for the basic neighbor discovery mechanism, which needs
to be used to establish two-way connectivity before other messages
are exchanged.

Margaret

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Bound, Jim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 11:54:43 -0500

Margaret,

One clarification John made is that IPv6 is only for part of the 3G
system thus far.

Maybe the title should be changed to reflect 3GGP Release 4 or 5
(authors?)

It will be used if stateless addr conf is used for sure.  So I think the
issue is moot.

/jim

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Margaret Wasserman [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Monday, March 04, 2002 3:24 AM
> To: Hesham Soliman (ERA)
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Making ND Optional [Was RE:
> draft-ietf-ipv6-cellular-host-00.txt -> wg last call?]
> 
> 
> 
> And another issue:
> 
>