Subject: Prefix Delegation Option in RA - draft comments

From: BELOEIL Luc FTRD/DMI/CAE <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 18:57:58 +0100

Hi, 

I have just read your draft that proposes to add a new Prefix Delegation
Option to Router Advertisement so as to enable configuration of a site
router (I'm using you definition of a site router).

Here's my comments :
3.1 Deployement scenario
I found you figure unclear. First, I thought that your router had only 2
Site Links, then I understood. It would be clearer to precise "Site link #1
... Site Link#n".

3.3 Site router operation
Firstly, one should precise that the site router must route site packets
towards a default route that is the PPP link.
Secondly, you tell that the site router send a Router Solicitation. But I
think that router solicitation should contain a Prefix Delegation Request
Option (to be defined). Indeed, the site router could have already a global
prefix, and in that case the provider router should not allocate any prefix
but only route site packets.

3.3.1 Prefix Delegation option processing
Has David Binet asked on mailing list, you give no proposal on the way to
manage IPv6 prefix pool on the provider router. Do you have any idea ? Do we
must use manual configuration . Do you think that is only an implementer and
operator issue ?

Your solution seems great because it is simple. But I am wondering if its
applicability is to limited or not ? It is just for dialup link and the most
unconfortable issue is that its impose only 1 router in the site. The
solution is really not scalable on the site side.

Luc