Subject: RE: Applicability of draft-ietf-ipv6-cellular-host-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 16:18:32 +0200

Hi!

-----Original Message-----
From: ext Keith Moore [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 05 March, 2002 16:06
To: Wiljakka Juha (NMP/Tampere)
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Applicability of draft-ietf-ipv6-cellular-host-00.txt 

> At least these "cellular host categories" can be imagined:
> 
> 1) "Closed system" basic 2.5G / 3G terminal typically with fixed 
> applications and software. Examples of such devices could be Nokia 
> 8310, Ericsson T65, Motorola Timeport 280, ...  Usually these 
> terminals have a very compact size and optimized functionality.

> 2) "Open system" 2.5G / 3G terminal. External developers can develop 
> software and applications for such terminals. Examples of such
> devices could be Ericsson R380, Nokia Communicator 9210/9290, PDAs 
> such as Compaq iPAQ Pocket PC (having e.g. GPRS functionality), ...

> 3) a "full laptop" with e.g. GPRS/WLAN (PCMCIA) card. These typically 
> are very powerful devices compared to two first categories. An
> example of WLAN/GPRS card can be found here: 
> http://www.nokia.com/phones/nokiad211/

these sound like useful categories.  however, for categories #1 and #2
there would need to be different requirements depending on whether
or not the device had an external interface to which one or more other 
IPv6 hosts could be attached.

JWi: Thanks for your opinion! This is a relevant point to think about - however, a typical case in 3GPP architecture would be connecting a laptop computer to the mobile terminal using PPP(v6).

as for category #3, I'd focus on defining the requirements of the
network interface that is seen by the laptop, rather than the
requirements of the laptop itself.  presumably the laptop is a
normal IPv6 host and doesn't have unusual requirements.

JWi: Good point as well. Certainly, laptop is a "normal IPv6 host" and does not need special treatment. We could write some clarifying text about the laptop (network interface) and leave the laptop IPv6 functionality to be defined in a separate specification (a generic IPv6 host draft)? 

Cheers,
	 -Juha W.-
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 09:47:30 -0500

> JWi: Thanks for your opinion! This is a relevant point to think about - 
> however, a typical case in 3GPP architecture would be connecting a
> laptop computer to the mobile terminal using PPP(v6).

The requirements should not assume what kind of device may be attached,
and they certainly should not constrain the type of such devices.  

Keith