Subject: RE: Applicability of draft-ietf-ipv6-cellular-host-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 10:35:42 +0200

Hi, Erik and the others!

Let me suggest the following - before we can draw good conclusions, we need to better define what we are actually talking about.

At least these "cellular host categories" can be imagined:

1) "Closed system" basic 2.5G / 3G terminal typically with fixed applications and software. Examples of such devices could be Nokia 8310, Ericsson T65, Motorola Timeport 280, ...  Usually these terminals have a very compact size and optimized functionality.

2) "Open system" 2.5G / 3G terminal. External developers can develop software and applications for such terminals. Examples of such devices could be Ericsson R380, Nokia Communicator 9210/9290, PDAs such as Compaq iPAQ Pocket PC (having e.g. GPRS functionality), ...

3) a "full laptop" with e.g. GPRS/WLAN (PCMCIA) card. These typically are very powerful devices compared to two first categories. An example of WLAN/GPRS card can be found here: http://www.nokia.com/phones/nokiad211/

And if we talk about "minimum IPv6", it should be implementable also for type 1) ... In my opinion, the main focus of our draft has been so far on the cases 1) and 2).

Cheers,
	-Juha W.-

-----Original Message-----
From: ext Erik Nordmark [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 04 March, 2002 23:50
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Applicability of draft-ietf-ipv6-cellular-host-00.txt

I think part of the questions are around the applicability of the document.
The document doesn't seem to constrain this very much:

   For the purposes of this document, a cellular host is considered to 
   be a terminal that uses an air interface to connect to a cellular 
   access network (i.e. GPRS, UMTS, CDMA2000) in order to provide IPv6 
   connectivity to an IP network.

So unless "terminal" is a well-defined term in the IETF context this
seems to apply to e.g. a full-powered laptop with a PCMCIA radio card,
a cellular phone with a Java JVM that allows it to run downloaded
applications, and perhaps even a router with such an air interface.

  Erik

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 09:05:54 -0500

> 1) "Closed system" basic 2.5G / 3G terminal typically with fixed 
> applications and software. Examples of such devices could be Nokia 
> 8310, Ericsson T65, Motorola Timeport 280, ...  Usually these 
> terminals have a very compact size and optimized functionality.

> 2) "Open system" 2.5G / 3G terminal. External developers can develop 
> software and applications for such terminals. Examples of such
> devices could be Ericsson R380, Nokia Communicator 9210/9290, PDAs 
> such as Compaq iPAQ Pocket PC (having e.g. GPRS functionality), ...

> 3) a "full laptop" with e.g. GPRS/WLAN (PCMCIA) card. These typically 
> are very powerful devices compared to two first categories. An
> example of WLAN/GPRS card can be found here: 
> http://www.nokia.com/phones/nokiad211/

these sound like useful categories.  however, for categories #1 and #2
there would need to be different requirements depending on whether
or not the device had an external interface to which one or more other 
IPv6 hosts could be attached.

as for category #3, I'd focus on defining the requirements of the
network interface that is seen by the laptop, rather than the
requirements of the laptop itself.  presumably the laptop is a
normal IPv6 host and doesn't have unusual requirements.

Keith