Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipv6-router-selection-01.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 06:20:02 -0500

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP Version 6 Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Default Router Preferences and More-Specific Routes
	Author(s)	: R. Draves
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ipv6-router-selection-01.txt
	Pages		: 13
	Date		: 04-Mar-02
	
This document describes an optional extension to Neighbor Discovery 
Router Advertisement messages for communicating default router 
preferences and more-specific routes from routers to hosts. This 
improves the ability of hosts to pick an appropriate router, 
especially when the host is multi-homed and the routers are on 
different links. The preference values and specific routes 
advertised to hosts require administrative configuration; they are 
not automatically derived from routing tables.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipv6-router-selection-01.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ipv6-router-selection-01.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipv6-router-selection-01.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 07:36:57 -0800

Richard,

Preliminary comments: If I read it correctly, all the RA extensions are based on destination IPv6 address. I can see several situations where it might be useful to have some RA extensions based on the source address as well, which would create some kind of a policy routing in the hosts (decide where to send traffic based on the source IP, not the destination one).

Michel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Richard Draves" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 18 Mar 2002 20:35:02 -0800

Michel, I think source-address-based routing is an interesting idea but
out of scope for this draft.

Thanks,
Rich

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Michel Py [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Tuesday, March 05, 2002 7:37 AM
> To: Richard Draves
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipv6-router-selection-01.txt
> 
> 
> Richard,
> 
> Preliminary comments: If I read it correctly, all the RA 
> extensions are based on destination IPv6 address. I can see 
> several situations where it might be useful to have some RA 
> extensions based on the source address as well, which would 
> create some kind of a policy routing in the hosts (decide 
> where to send traffic based on the source IP, not the 
> destination one).
> 
> Michel.
> 
>