Subject: RE: PPP and Global Addresses

From: "Bound, Jim" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 6 Mar 2002 11:01:52 -0500

Pekka,

>
> I also think DHCP and what not should not be used for router 
> configuration.

In the military I had a seargent tell me once opinions are like rectums
every one has one.

Thats all this is and your entitled to it.

But I don't really care about your opinion or others on what should be
used or not used from the work we do in the IETF.  What I care about is
if you  find a technical hole or error in our protocol specifications or
interoperablity issues.

Deployment of IPv6 and what is used and not used will not be decided on
this list and the people that have the money and authority to make those
decisions are not evening listening to these discussions.

Lets not fool our egoes and think the market listens to these
discussions they do not.

They do listen to other lists for sure but not the IETF lists.

/jim
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 14:39:29 +0100

In your previous mail you wrote:

   But I don't really care about your opinion or others on what should be
   used or not used from the work we do in the IETF.

=> I disagree: the resources of IETF are not infinite so waste is
a common concern.

   What I care about is if you find a technical hole or error in our
   protocol specifications or interoperablity issues.
   
=> I'd like to see any of the security concerns of
draft-prigent-dhcpv6-threats-00.txt addressed, or
a proof that "the capability of automatic allocation of
reusable network addresses" has a meaning for IPv6 addresses
(note that we have 5 years of proof of the opposite).

Regards

[email-masked]

---

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 08:45:57 -0500

With all due respect, I've read draft-prigent-dhcpv6-threats-00.txt.  The 
authors based this doc on an old draft of the DHCPv6, which they did not 
understand very well.

- Ralph