Subject: Questions about draft-ietf-ipv6-cellular-host-00.txt

From: "Yamasaki Toshi" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 13:04:41 +0900

Heshman,

Allow me to ask questions on this ML, because I missed to ask the WG meeting
on Monday.

Q1) What is the main reason why you assume two PPPs when a customer has two
IPv6 enabled terminals under one Cellular Phone working as a bridge? You
could assume to use one PPP to the Cellular Phone (or other terminal
conneted to it) working as a MSR or L3router.

Q2) Why do you assign a /64 not /128 to each mobile terminal, while you are
sure there is only ONE host connected to the PPP link?

Q3) Is it a good privacy protection to use the privacy extention under a /64
while everyone knows that /64 is assigned to his/her Cellular Terminal?

Actually I'm developing a model for IPv6/DSL services and IPv6 Hot Spot
services. You can find an temporaly document at:

http://www.apnic.net/meetings/13/sigs/docs/4.3_OSG_UNI.ppt

Your model of IPv6 access services for Cellular terminals are similar to my
models assigning a /64 per customer, and I had and still have the same
issues that I'm asking you in those questions above.

Thanks in advance.

--- Toshi Yamasaki / NTT Communications

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 14:41:10 +0200

Hi!

Some comments from me to the questions below:

-----Original Message-----
From: ext Yamasaki Toshi [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: 19 March, 2002 06:05

JW: If we talk about 3GPP Rel99, Rel4 and Rel5 specifications, there is currently only one specified way to connect laptop to the mobile terminal. And that is a PPP(v6) link between the laptop and the mobile terminal. Separate PDP context(s) are activated for the mobile terminal 'internal applications' (e.g. a web browser in a mobile terminal) and a separate PDP context is used for the laptop connection.

(in this context mobile terminal = cellular host)

JW: This is based the IPv6 addressing mechanism specified in 3GPP Rel99, Rel4 and Rel5 (the IPv6 addressing architecture change has recently been made based on IPv6 wg 3GPP design team recommendations). Every (primary) PDP context is allocated a globally unique prefix.

JW: This is a good comment. "Bad guys" could simply look at the first 64 bits...

JW: thanks for the interesting link - I will have a look at that.

Best Regards,
				Juha Wiljakka,
				Nokia Finland