Subject: deprecated addrs in src addr selection question

From: Sebastien Roy <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 29 Mar 2002 17:23:50 -0500

I could probably piece together an answer by going way back in the
mail archives but...

The "Default Address Selection for IPv6" draft's source address
selection seems to prefer addresses of appropriate scope over
"preferred" or non-deprecated addresses.  What is the reasoning
behind that?

For example, a system has one interface configured with a deprecated
site-local address and a non-deprecated global address.  When
communicating with a site-local destination, the draft specifies that
the deprecated site-local source address would be used instead of the
global address.

According to the addressing architecture, "A deprecated address should
be used only by applications that have been using it and would have
difficulty switching to another address without a service disruption."

I don't believe applications would have much difficulty switching to
the global address to communicate with site-local destinations in the
above example.

-Seb

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------