Subject: ioctl for nd cache

From: "chakri" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 18:02:30 +0530

Hi,

I am looking for a solution to get the destination machine's MAC address
from an IPv6 socket-application.

In IPv4, I was using the 'arpping' utility to generate ARP requests. When
the ARP cache is updated with the ARP response, i use the ioctl () call to
fetch the required entry thus getting the MAC address.

What if i have to do a similar stuff in IPv6 application? Is there any
utility to generate ND neighbour solicit messages? How to fetch the entries
from the ND cache?

I am using Linux 7.1 kernel 2.4.2.

I dont see the command 'ndp' with this. Can I install any library to get
full IPv6 support? Any pointers regarding this will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chakri

***************************************************************************
This message is proprietary to Future Software Limited (FSL) 
and is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it
is addressed. It may contain  privileged or confidential information 
and should not be circulated or used for any purpose other than for 
what it is intended. 

If you have received this message in error, please notify the
originator immediately. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are notified that you are strictly prohibited from using,
copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of this message. 
FSL accepts no responsibility for loss or damage arising from 
the use of the information transmitted by this email including
damage from virus.
***************************************************************************
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: YOSHIFUJI Hideaki / 吉藤英明 <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 21:57:41 +0900

I do not understand what "full IPv6 support" means. Anyway,
just FYI, we, USAGI Project <http://www.linux-ipv6.org> are trying to 
implement ndp command using rtnetlink(7).  And, of course, you can 
send/recv ICMPv6 packet via raw socket.

-- 
Hideaki YOSHIFUJI @ USAGI Project <[email-masked]>
GPG FP: 9022 65EB 1ECF 3AD1 0BDF  80D8 4807 F894 E062 0EEA
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "chakri" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 28 Mar 2002 19:52:05 +0530

Dear Mr. Yoshifuji,

Thanx for your valuable response.
In USAGI, is there any facility like ioctl () mechanism for fetching the ND
cache entries? Or is it done by getifaddrs ()?
I will have to fetch the MAC address provided the IP6 address.

-Chakri

-----Original Message-----
From: Hideaki YOSHIFUJI [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of YOSHIFUJI Hideaki / ‹g“¡‰p–¾
Sent: Thursday, March 28, 2002 6:28 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: Re: ioctl for nd cache