Subject: Protocol Action: Support for IPv6 in SDP to Proposed Standard

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 17:45:59 -0500

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'Support for IPv6 in SDP'
<draft-ietf-mmusic-sdp-ipv6-03.txt> as a Proposed Standard.  This
document is the product of the Multiparty Multimedia Session Control
Working Group.  The IESG contact persons are Allison Mankin and Scott
Bradner.

Technical Summary
 
   SDP is intended for describing multimedia sessions for the purposes
   of session announcement, session invitation, and other forms of
   multimedia session initiation. It is a text format description that
   provides many details of a multimedia session including: the
   originator of the session, a URL related to the session, the
   connection address for the session media(s), and optional attributes
   for session media.  Each of these pieces of information may
   involve one or more IPv6 addresses. The ABNF for IP addresses in the
   SDP specification (RFC2327) currently leaves the syntax for IPv6
   address undefined.  This specification clarifies the IPv6 address
   usage for SDP by filling in the IP6 address type syntax.  It also
   defines the syntax of use of an IPv6 address literal in URI's carried
   as a field in SDP, following RFC2732.

   Accordingly, the address type "IP6" indicating an IPv6 address,
   becomes a clear part of the SDP standard.  The ABNF style used
   in this draft matches that of RFC 2373 for consistency purposes.

Working Group Summary

   The MMUSIC working group reached quick consensus on this specification.
   The working group is currently revising RFC2327 for advancement to
   Draft Standard.  But pressing needs for SDP use of IPv6 addresses,
   including literals in many cases, due to construction of SDP fields
   after DNS lookup, urged the publication of this spec to clarify IP6
   syntax now.  The revised SDP specification will incorporate this added
   syntax.

Protocol Quality

   The specification was Last Called in the IPv6 Working Group as well
   as MMUSIC.  It received a large number of careful reviews by IPv6
   specialists and was revised to reflect consensus from Last Call
   comments.  The specification was reviewed for the IESG by Allison
   Mankin, Jonne Soininen and Margaret Wasserman.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------