Subject: RE: Making Autoconfig Optional [Was RE: draft-ietf-ipv6-cellular-host-00.txt -> wg last call?]

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 11:04:29 +0200

Hi Margaret,

> However, I think that RFC 2462 should be a MUST for all IPv6 nodes.

2462 states in the introduction:

   IPv6 defines both a stateful and stateless address autoconfiguration
   mechanism. Stateless autoconfiguration requires no manual
   configuration of hosts, minimal (if any) configuration of routers,
   and no additional servers. [some text clipped]

   The stateless approach is used when a site is not particularly
   concerned with the exact addresses hosts use, so long as they are
   unique and properly routable. The stateful approach is used when a
   site requires tighter control over exact address assignments.  Both
   stateful and stateless address autoconfiguration may be used
   simultaneously. 

This leads me to think that IPv6 MUST support either stateless or
stateful, but stateless is not mandatory.  

When we prepared the document, we realized that the 3GPP mechanism
looks quite much like an automated stateful process, thus 2462 was
probably optional.  

Are you suggesting:

1) Stateless address autoconfig is needed for 3GPP cellular link
2) Stateless address autoconfig is such a good think, it is 
   needed even if it is not used.

thanks!
John
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Markku Savela <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 11:20:52 +0200

> X-Authentication-Warning: sunroof.eng.sun.com: majordomo set sender to [email-masked] using -f
> From: [email-masked]
>

This seems quite warped, as stateless is much simpler than stateful
(at least with PPP6, which can negotiate ID part). And probably every
existing IPv6 stack has stateless supported, and stateful is an option
that is supposed to be DHCP6, which nobody has...