Subject: Re: IPV6_JOIN_GROUP for v4 multicast

From: Tim Hartrick <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 11:37:53 -0800 (PST)

All,

> 
> In any case, I don't think the advanced API is a suitable place to
> define such a stuff.  Since the basic API defines both IPV6_JOIN_GROUP
> and the usage of IPv4-mapped(-unicast) addresses, the appropriate
> document would also be the basic API spec, *if we'd ever need to
> standardize that*.  We should not use the advanced API as a kitchen
> sink for arbitrary extensions.
> 

I agree with this last sentence.  Both the API documents should be put
to bed.  If changes need to be made to them POSIX or X/Open or some other
group should be tasked to handle it.

If new features must be documented within this group then they should be
put into a new document which does not obsolete the existing API documents
but merely adds to or clarifies functionality.

tim
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------