Subject: RE: Stateless DNS discovery draft

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 16:48:08 +0300

Hi Thomas & Hesham,

> Some things I've heard:
> 
> - no dependency on a third-party server
> - no configuration required by admin
> - something that "just works" for roaming users. (?)
> - something that addresses the case where the O bit in RAs is not set
> - don't reinvent the wheel without compelling reason
> - don't end up with multiple ways of doing the same thing
> - can't use DHCP because DHCP ... (isn't liked, isn't done, is
>   state, is too complex, requires configuration, ...)
> 
> I'm not necessarily agreeing with any or all of the above. But I think
> it would be useful to have an explicit discussion about the
> assumptions/requirements folks have that are driving them towards a
> particular solution.
> 
> What other requirements do folks have?

I get the feeling that you would like a short and to-the-point draft
on the requirements for DNS discovery.  If this was produced, perhaps
this could help focus the discussion.

John

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Brian Haberman <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 10:03:35 -0400

John,

> this could help focus the discussion.

That is exactly what I would like to see.  Thomas hinted at it, but
without such a draft we are going to go around in circles.

Regards,
Brian

---

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 10:07:01 -0400

> this could help focus the discussion.

This would seem to me to help. But I'd also focus on getting the words
right on the mailing list quickly and then doing the ID. I.e., try to
use the current thread momentum to tease out the real issues.

Thomas