Subject: RE: Proposed IPv6 DNS Discovery Requirements

From: "Hesham Soliman (ERA)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 12:17:44 +0200

> > IPv6 provides two approaches to basic IPv6 configuration.  One is 
  > > server-less and is defined in IPv6 Neighbor Discover 
  > [RFC2461] and the IPv6 
  > > Stateless Address Autoconfiguration [RFC2462].
  > 
  > Note: I don't know that I understand this distinction. Calling ND
  > "server-less" doesn't seem entirely accurate. ND requires a router
  > sending the client prefix information for the addresses it is to
  > generate. Without that info, the client can only generate link-local
  > addresses. In this case, the router quacks like a server. I.e., the
  > client sends out an RS, the router responds with a RA. Is 
  > it not being
  > a server?

=> Well IMHO, the default router is not a server. 
For a node to communicate with other nodes outside
the link, it requires a router. Hence, the dependency
is already there (on the default router). There is 
no other node involved. We can discuss the terminology,
but the point is, there is no reliance on a third
node involved. 

Hesham
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Ole Troan <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 12:25:08 +0100

> but the point is, there is no reliance on a third

so as long as the piece of code runs on a (default) router, the
requirement for server-lessness is fulfilled? e.g this could be a DHCP
server?

/ot

---

From: "Srinivasa Rao Nalluri" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 16:01:04 +0530

Hi

In IPv6 fragmentation is prevented by intermediate routers. Only sender can
fragment IP packet.
Why so? Do we have any extra advantage because of this.

Regards
Nalluri

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 09:16:24 +0900

>Why so? Do we have any extra advantage because of this.

	simpler router implementation (= hardware routing acceleration easier
	to implement).

itojun