Subject: Re: sockaddr_in6::sin6_scope_id use

From: Jack McCann <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 14:05:18 -0400 (EDT)

>The current basic socket enhancements draft
>(draft-ietf-ipngwg-2553bis-05.txt) specifies that this 32-bit integer
>"identifies a set of interfaces".  More specifically, a "interface index"
>for a link-local scope sin6_addr, or a "site identifier" for a site-local
>sin6_addr. (section 3.3)  (More thoughts follow, in the draft, with no
>mention of zones or zoneid.)

This got fixed in IEEE Std 1003.1-2001, which says:

   The sin6_scope_id field is a 32-bit integer that identifies 
   a set of interfaces as appropriate for the scope of the address 
   carried in the sin6_addr field.  For a link scope sin6_addr, 
   the application shall ensure that sin6_scope_id is a link index.
   For a site scope sin6_addr, the application shall ensure that 
   sin6_scope_id is a site index.  The mapping of sin6_scope_id
   to an interface or set of interfaces is implementation-defined.

but I missed it when I did the 1003.1 alignment edits in 2553bis-04.
2553bis should say a "link index" for a link-local scope sin6_addr,
or a "site index" for a site-local sin6_addr.

- Jack

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------