Subject: Listen sockets and scoped addressing?

From: Markku Savela <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2002 17:51:29 +0300

I'm trying to understand the effects of scoped addressing and have
some difficulty of deciding how system should work on following
situation:

   if it is possible to specify listening socket with ANY address, but
   somehow limited to specific scope (for example, site local scope
   with identifier = X)

then the action is clear, if incoming packet has site local
destination (of the host). The incoming destination scope must by X.

However, I'm not quite sure how I should deal with other
incoming destionations: link local or global scope packets. Should I

a) match them with site scope listen, if the originating interface
   belongs to site scope = X?

b) only accept strictly destination with site scope addresses, even if
   they enter system from interface that has site scope = X?

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: JINMEI Tatuya / 神明達哉<[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 22 Apr 2002 14:33:05 +0900

>>>>> On Fri, 12 Apr 2002 17:51:29 +0300, 
>>>>> Markku Savela <[email-masked]> said:

>    they enter system from interface that has site scope = X?

Since we've never had this type of semantics in the traditional socket
API, there is no correct answer.  But, at this moment, I'd vote for (b).

					JINMEI, Tatuya
					Communication Platform Lab.
					Corporate R&D Center, Toshiba Corp.
					[email-masked]

p.s. I'm planning to write a separate API draft for scoped addresses
(unless someone else has already started).  We should probably discuss
the issue there.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------