Subject: RE: Proposed IPv6 DNS Discovery Requirements

From: "Hesham Soliman (ERA)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 10:00:48 +0200

>
> => Well IMHO, the default router is not a server. 
> For a node to communicate with other nodes outside
> the link, it requires a router. Hence, the dependency
> is already there (on the default router). There is 
> no other node involved. We can discuss the terminology,
> but the point is, there is no reliance on a third
> node involved. 

so as long as the piece of code runs on a (default) router, the
requirement for server-lessness is fulfilled? e.g this could be a DHCP
server?

=> OK so there are lots of word games going on :)
I wonder how consistent this scrutiny of proposals
is. Anyhow, it is good to eb precise so let's 
continue. 
The answer to your question is in the question
itself. You said:

' requirement for server-lessness is fulfilled? e.g this could be a DHCP
server?' 

If it's a server, then how could you call the solution
server-less? 
Also the IETF does not mandate architectures, we can't
force people to install DHCP servers on each router. 
Even if we can, what are the consequences for management
cost of running multiple servers? Is it worth it?

Hesham

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Markku Savela <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Apr 2002 11:49:23 +0300

> From: "Hesham Soliman (ERA)" <[email-masked]>

> If it's a server, then how could you call the solution

I think ignore the "word games" with "server-less or not". What is it
we exactly want? Isn't it something like

 I've a device of any type and I want to be able to rip it off from
 one network/ISP and plug it into another network/IPS using the same
 configuration.

If it needs any servers, wether it is DNS or DHCP server, the
addresses of those servers must be fixed and known (or become
automaticly known via some bootstrap process, through RA options?).

And the question just becomes: which service(s) we want to have
directly available: DNS? DHCP?

The rest of the possible services are then found through this directly
acquired (primary) service address. Do we have one such "primary"
service (DNS or DHCP) or multiple? And if only one, which it is?
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------