Subject: RE: DAD vs. DIID

From: "Richard Draves" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 09:23:27 -0700

> Yes, my stack allows defining any address manually. I don't 
> code programs that pretend to be more clever than the user. I 
> assume if the user wants some specific address, then he/she 
> will get it (if it passes DAD). In manual configuration I 
> assume user KNOWS from that the address will not collide with 
> autoconfigured (as a root you can always shoot your foot).

This doesn't make sense. Manually-configured addresses the ones that
most need DAD, because humans are the part of the system that is most
likely to screw up and inadvertently configure a duplicate.

Rich

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Markku Savela <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 21:08:40 +0300

> From: "Richard Draves" <[email-masked]>

> likely to screw up and inadvertently configure a duplicate.

Umm.. I specifically said: "if it passes DAD". What other tests I'm
supposed to do when a user manually configures full address for the
node?