Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-daley-ipv6-mcast-dad-00.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 07:48:53 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.

	Title		: Duplicate Address Detection Optimization using IPv6 
                          Multicast Listener Discovery
	Author(s)	: G. Daley, R. Nelson
	Filename	: draft-daley-ipv6-mcast-dad-00.txt
	Pages		: 12
	Date		: 2002-8-29
	
This draft describes a possible optimization to Duplicate Address
Detection (DAD) which can be used to successfully terminate DAD
early, based on the presence of listeners on the link-scope solicited
nodes multicast address.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-daley-ipv6-mcast-dad-00.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-daley-ipv6-mcast-dad-00.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-daley-ipv6-mcast-dad-00.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "Richard Draves" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 09:14:29 -0700

The way MLD works today, if you don't have a valid link-local address to
use as the IP Source, you use the unspecified address instead. It sounds
like (section 4.1) you want to change this? I assume so the router can
unicast a response. I think this is a problem because until DAD
completes for the link-local address it's really not right to accept
packets sent to it. So your optimization can not apply to the link-local
address, only subsequent addresses.

You say only the first MLD Report may be a report-requesting-response.
Don't you mean the first one for each solicited-node multicast address?
Or even more accurately (since some implementations allow an interface
to be "reset" to that DAD etc is redone), just strike this sentence and
leave the requirement as only unsolicited reports may request a
response? What is your intent for retransmitted reports - are they not
supposed to request a response?

Rich

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Friday, August 30, 2002 4:49 AM
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-daley-ipv6-mcast-dad-00.txt
> 
> 
> This draft describes a possible optimization to Duplicate 
> Address Detection (DAD) which can be used to successfully 
> terminate DAD early, based on the presence of listeners on 
> the link-scope solicited nodes multicast address.
> 
> http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft->
daley-ipv6-mcast-dad-00.txt
> Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login 
> with the username "anonymous" and a password of your e-mail 
> address. After logging in, type "cd internet-drafts" and then

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail
readers

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------