Subject: Comment on RFC 1981 - Path MTU Discovery for IPv6

From: Lim Min Min <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 16:40:26 +0800

Referring to item 5.3,  we think that the timestamp value need not be set to
"Reserved".

This is because we can just use the timestamp and the current time to
determine that the PMTU has expired.  For example, before sending out a
packet, the timer-based procedure should check if the PMTU to be used has
expired based on the cached timestamp and the current time.  If it has
indeed expired, then no packets should be sent out using this PMTU.  The
PMTU value should be reset to the MTU value of the first hop and the PMTU
discovery should be restarted.

We think the "Reserved" value can be removed to make the process of
detemining the stale PMTUs less complicated.

We welcome suggestions and comments. 

Lim Min Min
Universiti Sains Malaysia
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------