Subject: RE: DAD vs. DIID

From: "Dave Thaler" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 16:37:18 -0700

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Margaret Wasserman [mailto:[email-masked]]
[...]
> So, while you indicate that a link-local address may not be able to
> reach all nodes on a subnet, isn't it also true that a subnet-local
> address may not be able to reach all of the nodes on a link?

Since the boundary of a zone goes through a node, not through a link
(ref: scoped addr arch doc), then no it is not true.  The "subnet-local"

scope contains all interfaces on the link regardless of what addresses
are on those interfaces.

However, there are no subnet-local unicast addresses (only multicast
ones)
so the question is moot in practice.  The closest question you could
construct in practice is: "If a link has multiple subnet prefixes
assigned to it, and I source from a global address in one of them, and
the destination is a subnet-local multicast group, will another machine
on the same link, which does not have an address in the same prefix,
receive the packet."  The answer is yes it will (so the answer to your
question is: no, not true).

-Dave

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Aug 2002 08:28:03 +0300 (EEST)

On Tue, 20 Aug 2002, Dave Thaler wrote:
> The closest question you could

I'll try to answer from a different perspective.  If the destination is a
subnet-local multicast group, it may not reach all of the nodes on a link.  
This is because nodes, currently, do not even know of such a multicast
group much less join it.

In theory it should go to every node, I think.

Is there something I've missed?

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "Tell me of difficulties surmounted,
Netcore Oy                   not those you stumble over and fall"
Systems. Networks. Security.  -- Robert Jordan: A Crown of Swords