Subject: Re: Why I support deprecating SLs

From: David Terrell <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2003 11:13:24 -0500

On Thu, Apr 03, 2003 at 08:16:35PM -0500, Thomas Narten wrote:
> 
> > |Thomas Narten <[email-masked]> wrote:
> > |
> > |> 	- Site-locals should be retained as a means for internal
> > |> 		connections to survive global prefix renumbering.
> > |
> > |4) This is strikes me as a nice requirement, but something we don't
> > |   have a solution for, even with SLs. We need to accept that we have
> > |   no solution and SL is doesn't really seem to be a help here.
> 
> > Please explain why you feel that internal connections using site-locals will
> > not survive global prefix renumbering.
> 
> Internal connections using SLs will survive renumbering. But that is
> the easy part and by itself is largely uninteresting.
> 
> The tough question is, how do we get applications in general to prefer
> SLs for local communication. Note that it is not enough for a handful
> of applications to use SLs and survive renumbering, my assumption is
> you want pretty much all intra-site communication to use SLs. I.e., if
> only 30% of your intra-site traffic is using SLs, and a renumbering
> takes place, 70% of your traffic is still potentially impacted. That
> doesn't seem like much of a real solution to me.

I disagree.  If that 70% of traffic is short lived, on demand traffic
such as, say, HTTP, I don't think it's such a big deal.

Site locals need to be in place for things that will not survive a 
renumbering well.  NFS, DNS resolvers, long-lived TCP sessions 
(database connections?) etc; things that break when the number is 
changed.

-- 
David Terrell           | 
Nebcorp Prime Minister  | 
[email-masked]            |  The best free things in life are free.
http://wwn.nebcorp.com/ | 
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------