Subject: RE: Draft on Globally Unique IPv6 Local Unicast Addresses

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 09:07:54 -0700

Brian,

>> Michel Py wrote:
>> I though we were on agreement that routing table bloat
>> was not a good idea?

> Indeed. But if a few Megacorps are willing to pay the ISPs
> to carry specific routes, that won't bloat the tables. If
> a lot of medium size companies tried the same, it would be
> bad.

Who's talking about a handful of few megacorps? Although it might be
unfair, they will get their prefix announced no matter what; this is a
fact of life. 

What do you plan to do in order to prevent small and mid-size businesses
from announcing their prefix? All it takes is one salesdroid to figure
it out; today lots of ISPs would gladly leak the customer's prefix for
free just as an incentive to keep an existing customer or capture a new
one.
 
Michel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 18:14:18 +0200

My original point was indeed that nothing we write in
an RFC can prevent this happening, except (possibly)
if we find a radically better solution.

   Brian

-- 
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Brian E Carpenter 
Distinguished Engineer, Internet Standards & Technology, IBM 
On assignment at the IBM Zurich Laboratory, Switzerland
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------