Subject: Re: Draft on a V6 documentation prefix

From: "Sellers, Julian P" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 11:07:35 -0500

I must not understand IPv6 address prefix notation.

RFC 3513 defines prefix-length as "a decimal value specifying how many of
the leftmost contiguous bits of the address comprise the prefix."

Geoff Huston wrote:

".....the IPv6 prefix 2001:0DB8::/32 has been set aside for use in
documentation examples...."."

Jeroen Massar wrote:

"."...ISPA who is allocated 2001:db8::/35 and ISPB who is allocated
2001:dba::/35."

Does the prefix 2001:0DB8::/32 include addresses whose leftmost 32 bits are
2001:0DBA?

Julian
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Shannon -jj Behrens <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 09:30:34 -0700

> Does the prefix 2001:0DB8::/32 include addresses whose leftmost 32 bits are

Unless I am even more confused than you (which is highly possible), no
it doesn't.  I think you got confused because they were talking about
allocating *multiple* /32's (i.e. 2001:0DB8::/32, 2001:0DBA::/32,
etc.).

Best Regards,
-jj

-- 
Hacker is to software engineer as 
Climbing Mt. Everest is to building a Denny's there.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Jeroen Massar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2003 21:23:35 +0200

Sellers, Julian P wrote:

> Does the prefix 2001:0DB8::/32 include addresses whose 
> leftmost 32 bits are 2001:0DBA?

Hope I don't type this wrong:

2001:db8::/32 = 

01234567 89012345   01234567 89012345
00100000 00000001 : 00001101 10111000

2001:dba::/32
01234567 89012345   01234567 89012345
00100000 00000001 : 00001101 10111010

Thus nopes, but a /29 would include it though as the
RIR's currently allocate per /29.
Note that the above cites you made where from examples
for examples and they where made to show that a /35
could be used in documentation in case where multiple
TLA's (or GRP's ? :) are used in the documentation.

Hmm maybe it would be useful to name TLA or GRP in
the document so that that name is standardized too.
If it becomes GRP I will have to do some redirs in GRH :)

Greets,
 Jeroen