Subject: Stateless DHCPv6 == "Other stateful configuration"?

From: Ralph Droms <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 01 May 2003 10:07:10 -0400

The following comment was posted to the dhcwg mailing list
during the WG last call on draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-stateless-00.txt
Because the issue touches on RFC 2461 and RFC 2462, I've
cross-posted to both the ipv6 and dhc WG mailing lists.  Please
respond to the [email-masked] mailing list - RD

At 12:10 AM 4/15/2003 +0900, JINMEI Tatuya / =?ISO-2022-JP?B?GyRCP0BMQEMjOkgbKEI=?= wrote:

>4. interaction/consistency with RFC 246[12]
>
>How the stateless usage is related to the "Other stateful
>configuration" of router advertisements defined in RFC 2461 and 2462?
>Is the client (host) expected to start the stateless DHCPv6 when it
>receives a router advertisement with the "Other stateful
>configuration" flag being set?  If so, how can we interpret the
>"inconsistency" between the "stateless" DHCPv6 usage and the
>"stateful" router advertisement flag?  Perhaps this is just a matter
>of wording.  But, if RFC 2461 really intended a "stateful" protocol
>(i.e., where a server maintains lease state for the other
>configuration parameters), we may need to consider the gap as a
>fundamental architecture issue.

Well, I guess we first need to agree that draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-stateless-00.txt
meets the expectation of "Other stateful configuration" in RFC 2461.
I intended draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-stateless-00.txt to be the
configuration protocol used when the "Other stateful configuration"
flag is set.  Is there any objection to explicitly specifying
draft-ietf-dhc-dhcpv6-stateless-00.txt for this use?

If there is no objection, we'll need to adjust the words
to make the connection explicit and avoid confusion...

- Ralph

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------