Subject: Checking IPv6 MAC Address

From: "Sivaramakrishnan A" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 10:52:09 +0530

Hi,

I need to check if the MAC Address of an IPv6 packet is Multicast or
Broadcast MAC
Address? What are the Bits in the MAC Address that needs to be verified for
this
purpose?

thanks and regards,
Siva

***************************************************************************
This message is proprietary to Future Software Limited (FSL) 
and is intended solely for the use of the individual to whom it
is addressed. It may contain  privileged or confidential information 
and should not be circulated or used for any purpose other than for 
what it is intended. 

If you have received this message in error, please notify the
originator immediately. If you are not the intended recipient,
you are notified that you are strictly prohibited from using,
copying, altering, or disclosing the contents of this message. 
FSL accepts no responsibility for loss or damage arising from 
the use of the information transmitted by this email including
damage from virus.
***************************************************************************
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Nir Arad" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 15:56:47 +0200

Hi Siva,

See RFC 3513:

2. IPv6 Addressing
(...)
   There are no broadcast addresses in IPv6, their function being
   superseded by multicast addresses.

2.4 Address Type Identification

   The type of an IPv6 address is identified by the high-order bits of
   the address, as follows:

   Address type         Binary prefix        IPv6 notation   Section
   ------------         -------------        -------------   -------
   Unspecified          00...0  (128 bits)   ::/128          2.5.2
   Loopback             00...1  (128 bits)   ::1/128         2.5.3
   Multicast            11111111             FF00::/8        2.7
   Link-local unicast   1111111010           FE80::/10       2.5.6
   Site-local unicast   1111111011           FEC0::/10       2.5.6
   Global unicast       (everything else)

   Anycast addresses are taken from the unicast address spaces (of any
   scope) and are not syntactically distinguishable from unicast
   addresses.

Regards,

-- Nir Arad

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

      Nir Arad
      Product Definition
      Marvell Semiconductor Israel Limited    
     
      e-mail: [email-masked]  This message may contain confidential, proprietary or legally privileged information. The information is intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone, or by e-mail and delete the message from your computer.

      Thank you!  
            TEL: +972-4 909-1426 
            FAX: +972-4 909-1501 
     
      Moshav Manof, D.N. Misgav 20184, Israel
      http://www.marvell.com  

  ----- Original Message ----- 
  From: Sivaramakrishnan A 
  To: [email-masked] 
  Sent: Tuesday, June 17, 2003 7:22 AM
  Subject: Checking IPv6 MAC Address

  Hi,

  thanks and regards,
  Siva