Subject: RE: null-routed aggregated global unicast (was: another viewoffc00::/7)

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 07:34:19 -0700

Benny,

> Benny Amorsen wrote:
> It seems to me that having a global blackholed /10 is a lot
> nicer to the routing table than a lot of blackholed /36's.

No argument about this, but the catch is that this /10 being blackholed
relies on the cooperation of lots of people, and this won't hold against
pressures to break aggregation. We can't assume than everyone is going
to play ball just because we say it.

> Perhaps routers have advanced to the state where this is no
> longer a significant concern.

Have a look at this:
http://arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us/ipv6mh/j.ppt
http://arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us/ipv6mh/j.pdf
(I isolated that one slide part of a much larger presentation)
http://arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us/ipv6mh/IPv6%20Transition.ppt

Vendor "J" says they can't guarantee that throwing more memory and CPU
in the routers is going to be enough. When I design a large network, I
like guarantees and not "perhaps".

Michel

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------