Subject: RE: null-routed aggregated global unicast (was: another view of fc00::/7)

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 09:27:54 -0700

jj,

> Earlier, I suggested that an ISP could delegate addresses
> out of its existing aggregated, global unicast address block
> for free without providing connectivity. Having seen all of
> the email on this subject, I believe that such an ISP could
> actually sell prefixes for which it doesn't provide direct
> connectivity.  Such addresses could be used for VPN's, etc.
> without fear of collision. Traffic destined to such addresses
> on the Internet would be aggregated to the ISP, and probably
> sent to /dev/null.

I like this better than anything else I have seen to date.

Michel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 10:46:06 +0200

I have no problem with it, but we don't have to do a thing
in the IETF. It's a business decision for an ISP.

I do prefer that the IETF defines a solution that doesn't
rely on ISPs happening to see a business opportunity.

   Brian

---

From: Shannon -jj Behrens <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2003 07:34:34 -0700

> in the IETF. It's a business decision for an ISP.

I thought a BCP might be helpful.  Afterall, the site-local debate
probably won't go away until there's something in writing to replace
it.

> rely on ISPs happening to see a business opportunity.

Of course, but on the other hand, I wouldn't have Internet
connectivity at home if some ISP didn't see a business opportunity in
providing it.

Best Regards,
-jj

-- 
Hacker is to software engineer as 
Climbing Mt. Everest is to building a Denny's there.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------