Subject: RE: I-D ACTION:draft-hinden-ipv6-global-local-addr-01.txt

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 08:10:41 -0700

Bob,

You could as well call this draft the IPv6 swamp creation act. If these
addresses can be routed on point-to-point links or VPNs between sites,
they can be routed on the public Internet and since everyone wants
portable PI they will.

From the site's point of view, this is an easy decision: if the site
wants portable address space, first they will get this for $10 one-time,
then instead of paying the RIR $2.5k/year for the space, the site will
simply allocate this money paying $2.5k/year to their ISP to leak their
/48 in the GRT and $2.5k/year is enough for ISPs to leak it.

Not only this creates the IPv6 swamp but it also puts the RIRs out of
business.

Michel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 17:42:25 +0200

If you are correct, exactly the same will happen with PA
space.

   Brian

---

From: Robert Elz <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 00:10:46 +0700

Date:        Tue, 17 Jun 2003 08:10:41 -0700
    From:        "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
    Message-ID:  <[email-masked]>

  | $2.5k/year is enough for ISPs to leak it.

But why would any other ISP accept it?    None of the others are getting
any share of that 2.5K (or other amount), and since all these are from a
common prefix (whatever that ends up being) filtering all of them is
trivial.

So, how exactly will an ISP actually achieve anything (beyond making the
address visible to all of its customers)?

I think you're worrying about nothing here.

kre