Subject: RE: RFC 3513 EUI-48/MAC-48 confusion

From: "Suresh Krishnan (QB/LMC)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 13:29:42 -0400

Hi Francis,
	Agree with you almost completely except for this

> BTW the EUI-64 stuff is a big joke:
> *no* IEEE layer 2 uses EUI-64s as addresses today (IEEE 1394 aka
> I-Link aka FireWire uses 6 bit node addresses).

I assume you meant EUI-48s. CDPD uses EUI-48s for layer 2 addresses. Don't know how relevant CDPD is anymore though.  

Regards
Suresh

-----Original Message-----
From: Francis Dupont [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 12:02 PM
To: Suresh Krishnan (QB/LMC)
Cc: [email-masked]'; [email-masked]'
Subject: Re: RFC 3513 EUI-48/MAC-48 confusion 

 In your previous mail you wrote:

   	You are right. This seems to be carried over from RFC
  2460. For people who have been involved with IPv6 since then this
  might be natural. As a new implementor this was confusing to
  me. Because nobody else complained probably there is no need to
  correct it? It is upto the WG to decide.
   
=> this is an old issue. IMHO the best solution is to consider
the MAC-48 -> EUI-48 -> EUI-64 transform in place of the direct
MAC-48 -> EUI-64 transform. BTW the EUI-64 stuff is a big joke:
*no* IEEE layer 2 uses EUI-64s as addresses today (IEEE 1394 aka
I-Link aka FireWire uses 6 bit node addresses).

Regards

[email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Francis Dupont <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 23 Jul 2003 10:06:37 +0200

Hi Francis,
   
   > I-Link aka FireWire uses 6 bit node addresses).
   
   I assume you meant EUI-48s.

=> no, I meant EUI-64s. IEEE 1394 was used as an example of an IEEE layer 2
using EUI-64s, this is true but what takes the role of addresses in IEEE
1394 are Node IDs (6 bit long) or Bus + Node IDs (16 bit long).

Regards