Subject: RE: Same global address on Multiple Interface of an IP6 node

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 07:57:08 -0700

Todd,

> Todd T. Fries wrote:
> I understand there are tricks for faster thoroughput on
> IPv4 with regards to multiple interfaces (network cards)
> and a single IP address. Say, two 100mbit cards plugged
> into the same 100mbit switch.  Is this `trick' available
> with IPv6 in any fashion?

There would be interesting issues with having two interfaces with the
same IPv6 address on a switch related to the switch's CAM table, I doubt
it could work without channelizing at a lower layer.

For what I have done, these tricks are not specific to IPv4 but lower in
the stack by combining several physical interfaces into a single logical
bundle at the data link layer; the IPv6 address is applied to the newly
created logical interface. I mostly use Fast or Gigabit Etherchannel.

Michel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "Todd T. Fries" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 10:04:02 -0500

Thanks for the details.  I was never fully certain as to how this worked.
It makes sense though. And it definately allows for IPv6..
-- 
Todd Fries .. [email-masked]

Free Daemon Consulting, LLC                    Land: 405-748-4596
http://FreeDaemonConsulting.com              Mobile: 405-203-6124
"..in support of free software solutions."

Key fingerprint: 37E7 D3EB 74D0 8D66 A68D  B866 0326 204E 3F42 004A
            Key: http://todd.fries.net/pgp.txt

(last updated 2003/03/13 07:14:10)

Penned by Michel Py on Thu, Jul 24, 2003 at 07:57:08AM -0700, we have:
| Todd,
| 
| > Todd T. Fries wrote:
| > I understand there are tricks for faster thoroughput on
| > IPv4 with regards to multiple interfaces (network cards)
| > and a single IP address. Say, two 100mbit cards plugged
| > into the same 100mbit switch.  Is this `trick' available
| > with IPv6 in any fashion?
| 
| There would be interesting issues with having two interfaces with the
| same IPv6 address on a switch related to the switch's CAM table, I doubt
| it could work without channelizing at a lower layer.
| 
| For what I have done, these tricks are not specific to IPv4 but lower in
| the stack by combining several physical interfaces into a single logical
| bundle at the data link layer; the IPv6 address is applied to the newly
| created logical interface. I mostly use Fast or Gigabit Etherchannel.
| 
| Michel.
| 
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------