Subject: RE: Fw: avoiding NAT with IPv6

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 10:30:57 +0100

Making NAT look silly is good. One case I see where IPv6 NAT still doesn't
look completely silly is where ISPs hand out /64s to end users. Pay your
EUR10, buy your IPv6NAT and you have a /48.

Mat.

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Brian E Carpenter [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: 17 July 2003 11:16

> Once we have such a thing, we can make positive
> requirements for exploiting it that make NAT look silly.
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2003 13:48:28 +0300 (EEST)

> EUR10, buy your IPv6NAT and you have a /48.

Well, this is still a case we can "fix" with a bridge-like ND-proxy.  The 
question is whether it will make the problem worse..

Substitute the /64 with /128 and you make it really enticing.

Not much we can do about it, except just try to say why it's such a bad 
idea.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings