Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ipv6-prefix-delegation-requirement-03.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 12:31:21 -0400

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
This draft is a work item of the IP Version 6 Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

	Title		: Requirements for IPv6 prefix delegation
	Author(s)	: S. Miyakawa, R. Droms
	Filename	: draft-ietf-ipv6-prefix-delegation-requirement-03.txt
	Pages		: 7
	Date		: 2003-8-25
	
This document describes requirements about how an IPv6 address prefix
should be delegated to an IPv6 subscriber's  network (or 'site').

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipv6-prefix-delegation-requirement-03.txt

To remove yourself from the IETF Announcement list, send a message to 
ietf-announce-request with the word unsubscribe in the body of the message.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP. Login with the username
"anonymous" and a password of your e-mail address. After logging in,
type "cd internet-drafts" and then
	"get draft-ietf-ipv6-prefix-delegation-requirement-03.txt".

A list of Internet-Drafts directories can be found in
http://www.ietf.org/shadow.html 
or ftp://ftp.ietf.org/ietf/1shadow-sites.txt

Internet-Drafts can also be obtained by e-mail.

Send a message to:
	[email-masked].
In the body type:
	"FILE /internet-drafts/draft-ietf-ipv6-prefix-delegation-requirement-03.txt".
	
NOTE:	The mail server at ietf.org can return the document in
	MIME-encoded form by using the "mpack" utility.  To use this
	feature, insert the command "ENCODING mime" before the "FILE"
	command.  To decode the response(s), you will need "munpack" or
	a MIME-compliant mail reader.  Different MIME-compliant mail readers
	exhibit different behavior, especially when dealing with
	"multipart" MIME messages (i.e. documents which have been split
	up into multiple messages), so check your local documentation on
	how to manipulate these messages.

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 09:54:24 -0700

The PKIX group is currently conducting Last Call on
draft-ietf-pkix-x509-ipaddr-as-extn-01.txt, which is designed to allow
certification of prefix delegation assignments (among other uses). This
draft might provide a solution for requirement 3.5 in
draft-ietf-prefix-delegation. It might therefore be helpful to take a look
at draft-ietf-pkix-x509 before Last Call completes.

            jak

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Shin Miyakawa <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 15:17:31 +0900 (JST)

Hello, James,

Thank you for your comment. Just a quick question.
As one of the authors of the draft, I am a bit confused.

You wrote:
> certification of prefix delegation assignments (among other uses). 

I took a look it.

> This draft might provide a solution for requirement 3.5 in
> draft-ietf-prefix-delegation. 

Yes, I agree here at least as one of possibilities. However, 

>It might therefore be helpful to take a look at draft-ietf-pkix-x509
>before Last Call completes.
 ++++++

Why "before" ??? 

I think that prefix delegation requirement draft can go forward
with or without draft-ietf-pkix-x509, isn't it ???

Shin Miyakawa, Ph.D
Sr.Research Manager, IPv6 Group, Innovative IP Architecture Center
NTT Communications Corporation
Tokyo Opera City Tower 21st Floor
3-20-2 Nishi-Shinjuku, Shinjuku-Ku, Tokyo, Japan 163-1421
E-mail:[email-masked] / [email-masked]
TEL:+81-3-6800-3262 / FAX:+81-3-5365-2990
Visiting Researcher, SFC Lab. KEIO University
WIDE Project

---

From: "James Kempf" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 08:47:00 -0700

> with or without draft-ietf-pkix-x509, isn't it ???

Sure. But my point was that if there is change you believe is needed in
draft-ietf-pkix-x509, it should be caught now while the draft is in Last
Call. Otherwise, it may become RFC without something you need.

            jak