Subject: RE: PI, routable PI,

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 12 Aug 2003 13:58:46 -0700

Margaret,

>> Michel Py wrote:
>> - Whatever we can say about it, the network administrator gets
>> to pick what becomes of the Hinden/Haberman draft, globally
>> routable PI _or_ >private address. The prefix can't serve both
>> purposes at the same time for reasons explained 20 times on
>> this list already.

> Margaret Wasserman wrote:
> You may think you've explained this 20 times, but I still
> don't agree with it...
> If you don't pay your ISP to route _your_ Hinden/Haberman
> prefix, it won't be routed.  Voila!  Private addressing.

Trouble is, I _want_ to pay my ISP to route my Hinden/Haberman prefix,
for three reasons:

1. (legitimate) I want to communicate with the Hinden/Haberman prefix of
another enterprise. I could use a VPN/tunnel solution, but it is a lot
simpler to do end-to-end IPSEC, which means routing the prefix.

2. It solves my multihoming problem.
<flame bait>
If the IETF had done anything about multihoming in IPv6 I would not have
to pervert the Hinden/Haberman draft.
</flame bait>

3. It solves my renumbering problem: I "own" the Hinden/Haberman prefix,
and I keep it forever.

When I have my IETF hat on, I understand that these solutions are
short-sited, but when I have my network manager hat on, I'd do anything
that works when I need it. I can always upgrade to a better solution
when the IETF comes up with one (wishful thinking).

> Why do you care about whether someone else's prefix is
> globally routed?

Because everyone is going to try doing what I described above, I hope
this much is clear given recent postings. Guaranteed.

a) It leads to routing table explosion and all the stability issues we
are having with v4 today.

b) Re-using Bob's terms, this would become a self-regulated system,
meaning that in the long run only the rich would be entitled to announce
their prefix. Putting aside the ideological debate about the money, this
leads us directly to NATv6, because when the money threshold is reached,
people that have been using their Hinden/Haberman prefix will keep it
and turn to NAT as a replacement of announcing their prefix.

Michel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------