Subject: reverse delegation of 2002:xxxx:xxxx:: ?

From: Antonio Querubin <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 16:32:13 -1000 (HST)

Does anybody know what the current procedure (if any) is for getting
reverse delegation of 6to4 address space going?  I see 2.0.0.2.ip6.int but
no 2.0.0.2.in-addr.arpa zone.

BTW, for some reason access to this list's archive is broken.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Pekka Savola <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 11:49:14 +0300 (EEST)

> no 2.0.0.2.in-addr.arpa zone.

Btw, this should be in v6ops WG list, I think. (Please remove ipng from 
possible follow-ups.)

As for the current procedure, currently there is none.

draft-ymbk-6to4-arpa-delegation-00.txt should be in IETF Last Call, 
though.  That would enable the owner of the IPv4 address space to get 6to4 
reverse delegations from the RIRs, I think.

Whether that solves Joe Random's need for reverse 6to4 delegation is an 
entirely different thing, because I'd assume that if you have to use 
6to4 in an ISP's network, they aren't interested in IPv6, much less making 
delegations to *you*.

-- 
Pekka Savola                 "You each name yourselves king, yet the
Netcore Oy                    kingdom bleeds."
Systems. Networks. Security. -- George R.R. Martin: A Clash of Kings

---

From: "Jeroen Massar" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 11:40:51 +0200

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----

Antonio Querubin wrote:

> reverse delegation of 6to4 address space going?

Contact the RIRs, but there is no policy in place for it yet.
As you might know 6bone space still hasn't got a reverse in
ip6.arpa space either. The 6bone politics apparently take
their time to make it work. 6to4 ip6.arpa was planned next.

> I see 2.0.0.2.ip6.int but no 2.0.0.2.in-addr.arpa zone.

Contact [email-masked] for ip6.int delegations.

Either way you will probably be better off getting yourself
a RIR (2001::/16) piece of address space and using that
as 6to4 is not utterly stable all the time due to the
not much wide-spread relays causing big latencies etc.

> BTW, for some reason access to this list's archive is broken.

It might be because it is about to be moved, though
that should not cause a broken archive.

Greets,
 Jeroen

---

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 10:16:54 -0400

> no 2.0.0.2.in-addr.arpa zone.

2.0.0.2.in-addr.arpa would not be used with 6to4 in any case, since that's
where you would look for information about the ipv4 address 2.0.0.2.

there are still ongoing (private) conversations about
draft-moore-6to4-dns-03.txt, but no real conclusions about direction.

Keith