Subject: RE: apps people?

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 7 Aug 2003 18:36:15 -0700

> Mans Nilsson wrote:
> I fail to see why you need scoped addresses for this.
> When I want my printer to stay off the net, I remove
> the default route. Done.

This does not work because Joe Six-Pack does not know how to remove the
default route, so the printer will indeed acquire a default gateway by
DHCP or RA. Not good enough.

Michel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Tim Chown <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2003 11:16:07 +0100

> DHCP or RA. Not good enough.

Some vendors have thought a bit about Joe Sixpack and security.

I like the method Alcatel use on my combined 802.11/DSL home router.  If I
want to add a new wireless device for home access, rather than having anything
able to associate, or a manual/web configuration of MAC address, I only need
press an "allow association" button that will for 20-30 seconds let any
device attach, from which point that MAC address is remembered.   Of course
not ideal security, but a nice solution for the home user.

Similar approaches could be adopted for the types of scenarios here.

Tim

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 13:30:19 +0200 (CEST)

> Similar approaches could be adopted for the types of scenarios here.

Has there been any discussion or work for a protocol to achieve something like 
that? To allow a device - be it software or hardware - to register itself with 
say the gateway or some other control mechanism allowing the end-user to 
determine for instance what kind of access the device should have (by affecting 
configuration such as filters in other devices in the vicinity)?

Your button but through an easily accessible GUI instead?