Subject: SLs must be eradicated sooner rather than later

From: Keith Moore <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2003 18:31:41 -0400

Some people are making statements to the effect that we should continue
to permit SLs until we have replacement technologies for the problems
SLs were supposed to solve.

With respect, they have it exactly backwards.  SLs must be discouraged
via every means available.  Otherwise people will be tempted to think of
them as the solution to various problems, and this will increase
deployment of, and dependence on, SLs.  That's very similar to the
conditions that led to the NAT mess.

Only *after* better solutions were widely known for the vast majority of
these problems would it be safe to use SLs in marginal cases like
isolated networks.  Even then, we are far better off just deprecating
them - the potential for misuse is just too great.

Keith
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------