Subject: RE: Moving forward on Site-Local and Local Addressing

From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 12:16:40 -0700

Bob,

> Bob Hinden wrote:
> Please respond to the list with your preference

I would prefer C. "Rough consensus and running code". Possibly I could
live with B, but it greatly depends on how difficult the new solution is
to implement. If everyone agrees that implementing the new solution is a
no-brainer, then B would be fine. 

However, if the new solution requires significant coding that many
people don't feel too good about it, C is required. We don't want to
deprecate for a solution that looked good on paper but proved impossible
to implement and be left with zip.

I have trouble understanding why the issues that applied to site-locals
would not apply as well to the new solution until I have seen the new
solution.

IMHO the choice between B and C is premature until we have a clearer
view of the alternatives.

Michel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPng Working Group Mailing List
IPng Home Page:                      http://playground.sun.com/ipng
FTP archive:                      ftp://playground.sun.com/pub/ipng
Direct all administrative requests to [email-masked]
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "JORDI PALET MARTINEZ" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 23:04:03 +0200

Hi Michel,

I see your point, but my feeling is that we can only go to the last step (of the IETF process) IF it make sense (running code, and
then it means no-brainer), that means that B is fine, but for the same reason, I can live with C (in theory, B and C are then the
same solution) ;-).

Regards,
Jordi

----- Original Message ----- 
From: "Michel Py" <[email-masked]>
To: "Bob Hinden" <[email-masked]>; <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, August 04, 2003 9:16 PM
Subject: RE: Moving forward on Site-Local and Local Addressing

> view of the alternatives.

*****************************
Madrid 2003 Global IPv6 Summit
Presentations and videos on-line at:
http://www.ipv6-es.com