Subject: Questions about geographical dependent addresses

From: Achim Marikar <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 16:07:41 +0100

Hello,

I am writing my diploma thesis in information engineering at the
university of applied sciences in Cologne. One of the subjects of my
thesis is to develop an IPv6 address format which provides geographical
localisation capabilities to VoIP and other applications. 

A localisation seems to be necessary for the Internet, otherwise so many
people would not work on a localisation for Internet users
(geopriv,ecrit, etc.). In my opinion it would be necessary to assign a
user to an area code (or to an emergency call centre.)

As the IPv6 addresses have enough space to map an area code, I don't
understand why it is never be implemented. In my opinion the 64 bits
interface ID is too long. If stateful autoconfiguration, static
addresses or the privacy extension are used, it is not possible to get
the MAC-address of the interface through the interface ID. A duplicate
address detection is still necessary. So it would be possible to reduce
the interface ID to clear space for the area code.

Wouldn't it be the easiest way to map a reliable area code which is
validated by the provider? 
Also Nomadic users could be located through their care of address.

Thanks for comments,

Achim Marikar 

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: "EricLKlein" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2004 08:02:33 +0200

As I recall we had a rather long discussion about this last year. The
conclusions were that in most cases geographical dependencies were more
problems then they were worth. Examples that stuck in my mind had to do with
cruise ships docking at new locations and needing to reregister all
addresses (as NAT is not valid in IPv6) or mobile users who are roaming and
needing to get new addresses so that "home" features would be a problem
(authenticating to your bank account with a new IP address, etc).

I would suggest checking the archives as this went on for several months.

Eric