Subject: A little piece of IPv6 makes full Standard status

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 10:13:11 +0100

fyi, this includes the IPv6 address format (obsoleting RFC 2732).

    Brian

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: STD 66,	RFC 3986 on Uniform Resource Identifier (URI): Generic Syntax
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 17:32:09 -0800
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
CC: [email-masked]

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

         STD 66
         RFC 3986

         Title:      Uniform Resource Identifier (URI): Generic Syntax
         Author(s):  T. Berners-Lee, R. Fielding, L. Masinter
         Status:     Standards Track
         Date:       January 2005
         Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
         Pages:      61
         Characters: 141811
         Updates:    1738
         Obsoletes:  2732, 2396, 1808

         I-D Tag:    draft-fielding-uri-rfc2396bis-07.txt

         URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc3986.txt

A Uniform Resource Identifier (URI) is a compact sequence of
characters that identifies an abstract or physical resource.  This
specification defines the generic URI syntax and a process for
resolving URI references that might be in relative form, along with
guidelines and security considerations for the use of URIs on the
Internet.  The URI syntax defines a grammar that is a superset of all
valid URIs, allowing an implementation to parse the common
components of a URI reference without knowing the scheme-specific
requirements of every possible identifier.  This specification does
not define a generative grammar for URIs; that task is performed by
the individual specifications of each URI scheme.

This is now a Standard Protocol.

This document specifies an Internet standards track protocol for the
Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions for
improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the "Internet
Official Protocol Standards" (STD 1) for the standardization state
and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

         To: [email-masked]
         Subject: getting rfcs

         help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Bob Hinden <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2005 08:19:04 -0800

Brian,

>fyi, this includes the IPv6 address format (obsoleting RFC 2732).

Cool!  Maybe we should start thinking about moving more of IPv6 to Standard.

Bob

---

From: Paul Wilson <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 13:09:23 +1000

It seems that sect 3.2.2 this RFC 3986 requires left padding of each 16-bit 
piece of an IPv6 address with "0"

    eg 0000::/16 is allowed but 0::/16 is not

If so, that seems incompatible with some common usages, including many of 
those listed in sect 2 of RFC 2732.

I note that the form "::192.9.5.5" also seems to be disallowed by the new RFC.

Paul Wilson
APNIC

-- 
________________________________________________________________________
Paul Wilson, Director-General, APNIC                      <[email-masked]>
http://www.apnic.net                            ph/fx +61 7 3858 3100/99
------------------------------------------------------------------------
See you at APNIC-19!                     Kyoto, Japan, 21 to 25 Feb 2005
    and APRICOT 2005                        http://www.apnic.net/meetings
------------------------------------------------------------------------
ASIAN TSUNAMI & EARTHQUAKE RELIEF APPEAL        see http://www.apnic.net

---

From: Brian E Carpenter <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 14:55:43 +0100

Apparently you missed this at last call :-)

Well, that's why this WG withdrew its feeble attempts at ABNF.
It's very, very hard to get 100.00% right.

If you are convinced it's wrong, why not file an erratum with
the RFC-Editor? http://www.rfc-editor.org/errata.html

     Brian

Paul Wilson wrote:
> It seems that sect 3.2.2 this RFC 3986 requires left padding of each 
> 16-bit piece of an IPv6 address with "0"
> 
> If so, that seems incompatible with some common usages, including many 
> of those listed in sect 2 of RFC 2732.
>