Subject: [2461bis] host variables on router

From: Yukiyo Akisada <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2005 21:01:39 +0900

Hi, all.

2461bis is still unclear for me.

6.2.1. says,

   2369    The above variables contain information that is placed in outgoing 
   2370    Router Advertisement messages.  Hosts use the received information to 
   2371    initialize a set of analogous variables that control their external 
   2372    behavior (see Section 6.3.2).  Some of these host variables (e.g., 
   2373    CurHopLimit, RetransTimer, and ReachableTime) apply to all nodes 
   2374    including routers.  In practice, these variables may not actually be 
   2375    present on routers, since their contents can be derived from the 
   2376    variables described above.  However, external router behavior MUST be 
   2377    the same as host behavior with respect to these variables.  In 
   2378    particular, this includes the occasional randomization of the 
   2379    ReachableTime value as described in Section 6.3.2. 

Especially,
the sentence - "external router behavior MUST be the same as host behavior with respect to these variables.",
is unclear for me.

Does it mean that
the router has the same values as what the host receives from RA?

For example,
If the router is sending RA which contains RetransTimer=5 sec.,
should the router use 5 sec. as his own RetransTimer?

I think 2461bis can be more clear.

Regards,

----
Yukiyo Akisada <[email-masked]>

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------