Subject: RFC 4489 on A Method for Generating Link-Scoped IPv6 Multicast Addresses

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 28 Apr 2006 11:54:44 -0700

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4489

        Title:      A Method for Generating Link-Scoped 
                    IPv6 Multicast Addresses 
        Author:     J-S. Park, M-K. Shin,
                    H-J. Kim
        Status:     Standards Track
        Date:       April 2006
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      6
        Characters: 12224
        Updates:    RFC3306
        See-Also:   

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-ipv6-link-scoped-mcast-09.txt

        URL:        http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc4489.txt

This document specifies an extension to the multicast addressing
architecture of the IPv6 protocol.  The extension allows the use of
Interface Identifiers (IIDs) to allocate multicast addresses.  When a
link-local unicast address is configured at each interface of a node,
an IID is uniquely determined.  After that, each node can generate its
unique multicast addresses automatically without conflicts.  The
alternative method for creating link-local multicast addresses proposed
in this document is better than known methods like unicast-prefix-based
IPv6 multicast addresses.  This memo updates RFC 3306.  [STANDARDS TRACK]

This document is a product of the IP Version 6 Working Group
Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard Protocol.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet standards track
protocol for the Internet community,and requests discussion and 
suggestions for improvements.Please refer to the current edition of the 
Internet Official Protocol Standards (STD 1) for the standardization 
state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this memo is 
unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 

help: ways_to_get_rfcs. For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------