Subject: draft-bonica-internet-icmp and IPv6

From: Jari Arkko <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 08 Jun 2006 16:00:12 +0300

Folks,

Ron has requested publication of his experimental ICMP extension
document which makes it possible to attach options to IPv4 ICMP
messages, mainly the error messages. One background for this
work is the use of such extensions in MPLS networks but other
uses are possible too.

The discussion on the int-area list was focused on IPv4.
But it turns out that at least one vendor has implemented
this functionality even for IPv6. I would be interested
in hearing feedback on what we should do with these
extensions wrt. IPv6. Perhaps we want the spec to say
how to do it for IPv6 too or maybe we want to do something
completely different. Or it could be that such extensions
are inappropriate or unnecessary. Or that we don't care.
In any case, I'd rather have a discussion about this now
than at a later time when vendors have already decided
to do something.

We are discussing this on the int-area list. If you have opinions
about it it, please post them. Subscription to the list happens
here: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/int-area

--Jari

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------