Subject: New version of draft-wbeebee-nd-implementation-pitfalls is available - last was 00, new one is 01

From: "Hemant Singh (shemant)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 2 Jul 2007 16:04:51 -0400

Folks,
 
We had to get this new one out since we last discussed the -00 version
mainly with Tatuya and Brian Carpenter. The URL to the new one is:
 
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-wbeebee-nd-implementation-pitf
alls-01.txt
 
Relevant points with the new I-D are below.
 
1. Please read the last two lines of Abstract to understand what our
proposal with this I-D is.
 
2. 2461bis folks, please jump to reviewing this version, especially the
new section 5 of our I-D that lists normative changes we propose for
2461bis.
 
3. 2462bis folks, the old section 5 relating to you is now section 6.
Please review this section. As agreed between us and Tatuya, we are no
longer requiring that old hosts MUST NOT skip DAD. However we still
would like the problem we report in bullet 4, Section 2 of our I-D to be
reflected as text in 2462bis.  The combination of skipping DAD and
manual configuration causes NEW and important problems which are not
described in 2462bis and are more relevant than the reasoning described
in 2462bis for not skipping DAD. The only reason given in 2462bis for
not skipping DAD is "new types of addresses have been introduced where
the interface identifiers are not necessarily the same for all unicast
addresses on a single interface [RFC3041] [RFC3972]".  The problem we
report occurs even when Host2 uses the same identifier to create all
IPv6 addresses for an interface and skips DAD for GUA. We feel that if
implementers and deployers of IPv6 were made aware of the problem with
skipping DAD and manual configuration, that they would be more
incentivised to upgrade.
 
Thanks,
 
- Hemant & Wes
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------