Subject: FW: Revisit: one remaining corner case in DAD

From: "Hemant Singh (shemant)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 5 Jul 2007 15:25:48 -0400

Sorry for the spam if this is a 2nd copy of the email. I didn't see this
email in my mail yet nor the ipv6 archives. Suresh or Tatuya, please
reply.

Thanks.

Hemant 

-----Original Message-----
From: Hemant Singh (shemant) 
Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2007 2:23 PM
To: 'Suresh Krishnan'
Cc: JINMEI Tatuya / ????; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: Revisit: one remaining corner case in DAD

Suresh,

Yes, sorry, I had a typo wrt 2461 vs 2462. Thanks so much for providing
the para. Now I have a separate question to you folks.

What IPv6 network has an interface receiving an NA where the target
address in the NA matched an assigned address on the receiving interface
given the fact the address that matched is not tentative? Also, once
this situation happens, why is it not a DAD failure and hence logged
with an error message rather than a silent discard?

Thanks.

Hemant & Wes

-----Original Message-----
From: Suresh Krishnan [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Thursday, July 05, 2007 2:06 PM
To: Hemant Singh (shemant)
Cc: JINMEI Tatuya / ????; [email-masked]
Subject: Re: Revisit: one remaining corner case in DAD

Hi Hemant,

Hemant Singh (shemant) wrote:
> Sorry, if I missed the paragraph Tatuya wanted to add. As I said 
> before, could I please see the new para for section 5.4.4 of 2461bis 
> and I will

The edit he was proposing was for 2462bis not 2461bis. The old para in
section 5.4.4

    On receipt of a valid Neighbor Advertisement message on an
interface,
    node behavior depends on whether the target address is tentative or
    matches a unicast or anycast address assigned to the interface.  If
    the target address is assigned to the receiving interface, the
    solicitation is processed as described in [I-D.ietf-ipv6-2461bis].
    If the target address is tentative, the tentative address is not
    unique.

will be replaced with the new paragraph

    On receipt of a valid Neighbor Advertisement message on an
interface,
    node behavior depends on whether the target address is tentative or
    matches a unicast or anycast address assigned to the interface.  If
    the target address is assigned to the receiving interface, the
    advertisement SHOULD be silently discarded. If the target address is
    tentative, the tentative address is not unique.

Since there is no text in 2461bis to directly handle this condition, I
believe that the suggested text makes sense.

Cheers
Suresh

--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------