Subject: Router Lifetime: max value to be accepted by a host

From: Sandeep P A <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 19 Dec 2007 16:22:15 +0530

RFC 2461:

Host Description:

4.2. Router Advertisement Message Format

Router Lifetime

16-bit unsigned integer. The lifetime associated with the default router in
units of seconds. The maximum value corresponds to 18.2 hours. A Lifetime of
0 indicates that the router is not a default router and SHOULD NOT appear on
the default router list. The Router Lifetime applies only to the router's
usefulness as a default router; it does not apply to information contained
in other message fields or options. Options that need time limits for their
information include their own lifetime fields.

Router Description:

6.2.1. Router Configuration Variables

AdvDefaultLifetime

The value to be placed in the Router Lifetime field of Router Advertisements
sent from the interface, in seconds. MUST be either zero or between
MaxRtrAdvInterval and 9000 seconds. A value of zero indicates that the
router is not to be used as a default router.

Default: 3 * MaxRtrAdvInterval

When sending RA the maximum lifetime that can be advertised is 9000 seconds,
but when receiving the RA in Host, RFC does not specify 

any limit other than 18.2 hr(65535 ushort max value).  

A router sending RA with a lifetime of more than 9000 seconds is an RFC
violation. But at the same time a host discarding such an RA is also RFC
violation

Please guide me in this regard...

Regards,
Sandeep
****************************************************************************
****************************
 This e-mail and attachments contain confidential information from HUAWEI,
which is intended only for the person or entity whose address is listed
above. Any use of the information contained herein in any way (including,
but not limited to, total or partial disclosure, reproduction, or
dissemination) by persons other than the intended recipient's) is
prohibited. If you receive this e-mail in error, please notify the sender by
phone or email immediately and delete it!
 
--------------------------------------------------------------------
IETF IPv6 working group mailing list
[email-masked]
Administrative Requests: https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipv6
--------------------------------------------------------------------