Subject: [IPORPR] Proposed new IPoRPR charter

From: "Kastenholz, Frank" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 08:56:39 -0400

Folks

Albert and I have been working on a new charter for the
working group.  The intent of this charter is to task
the working group with developing the necessary protocols,
standards, and so on, to actually run IP and MPLS over 
802.17 rings.  The charter is a bit oddly worded, in my
experience, for this sort of task since we're jumping the
gun a bit here.  802 have not actually produced a document
yet, so we can not reasonably say what will and won't need
to be done.  The charter then is sort of generic. Once 802
produce a document, we can amend our charter to hone in
on the specific issues.

The working group is tasked with a two-phase development
process.  This maps, approximately, to the three levels
of support that Albert has outlined in the framework
draft.  The first phase maps to the first level; its 
job is to do a "basic" IP-over-RPR document.  The second
phase maps to the second two levels.  We (Albert and I)
believe that the first step is pretty simple and should
be completed fairly quickly.  The second phase involves 
more complex work, work that is likely to engender a 
fair bit of discussion and thinking. It might take 
considerably longer to converge than the first phase.
This two-phase approach lets us have a basic IP-over
spec available as 802.17 nears completion.  This is
a good thing. It lets the developers and vendors 
get things done quickly, it means that there can be 
some deployment, and that the IPoRPR WG can learn from
the implementations and deployments.  This education
will improve the second phase.

The charter has not yet been formally sent to the IESG
(though I have CC'd Bert Wijnen, Scott Bradner, and Thomas
Narten).  Albert and I first wish to get the consent of 
the WG that this reflects what we want to do, etc.

Please direct all comments to the iporpr mailing list
(which as you all should have noticed, is now [email-masked])

Albert Herrera
Frank Kastenholz
Co-chairs, IPoRPR WG

========================================================

Resilient Packet Rings, under development within the IEEE's 802.17
RPRWG, will provide substantial enhancements in both efficiency and
flexibility over current bi-directional ring topologies. Benefits of
resilient packet rings (RPRs) will include spatial re-use (full
utilization of both counter- rotating rings) while maintaining
APS-like protection switching during media faults. The 802.17 RPRWG
may develop mechanisms for topology discovery, congestion control,
and protection switching. Reference the IEEE 802.17 RPRWG at
http://www.ieee802.org/17/ for further information. 

The IPoRPR working group is chartered to develop the necessary
standards for encapsulating, transmitting, and IPv4, IPv6, and MPLS
over IEEE 802.17 Resilient Packet Rings. Some, but not all, of the
specific issues that may need to be addressed are
  - Packet Encapsulation
  - Address Mapping
  - MTU concerns
  - Multicast and Broadcast
  - Mapping of Diffserv to any QOS mechanisms developed for 802.17
  - Network Management
  - Routing Protocols
  - MPLS
  - Traffic Engineering

At this time we do not know the nature of 802.17's work. Therefore we
can not say with any degree of certainty which of these technical
issues need to be addressed and which do not. The goal of this list
is to enumerate possible issues to ensure that the working group
evaluates them.

The IPORPR Framework draft (draft-ietf-iporpr-framework-##.txt)
defines three levels of 802.17/IP interaction:
  1.  L3 view of an RPR ring as a traditional broadcast media
  2.  A L3 service interface to an RPR ring for specific 
      resource/services requests
  3.  Enhance L3 awareness and interaction with an RPR ring. 
In the interests of timely development of protocols, the 
working group shall concentrate on the first level in order
to get a "basic" protocol developed and fielded.  The later
levels can then build on the implementation experience 
gained in doing the first level.

The IPoRPR working group shall not duplicate work being done in other
working groups nor shall it do work that directly overlaps the
responsibilities of other working groups.  Where such issues arise,
the working group chairs shall direct the participants to the other
relevant working group and shall notify the other relevant working
group's chairs of the issue.

The IPoRPR WG will coordinate with relevant working groups within the
IETF to leverage existing work. The WG may also generate requirements
for other IETF WGs as needed. Additionally, the WG may collaborate
with other standards bodies and interoperability forums engaged in IP
over optical activities (e.g., including ITU-T) to share information,
minimize duplication of effort, and coordinate activities in order to
promote interoperability and serve the best interest of the industry.

This charter is being developed before IEEE 802.17 produce their
standard in the hopes that the IP-over-802.17 specifications can be
ready very quickly after the IEEE 802.17 standards are available.  As
a result, this charter is not as concise as would normally be the
case. As IEEE 802.17 gets closer to having a firm specification, this
charter may be revised to take 802.17's work into account.

The IPoRPR working group will also continue to revise the framework
internet-draft (draft-ietf-iporpr-framework-##.txt as of this
writing).

IPoRPR participants are STRONGLY ENCOURAGED to take part in any and
all areas of 802.17 which are of interest to them. In particular,
IEEE 802.17 is developing a MIB for the management of 802.17
networks.  IPoRPR participants are encouraged to take part in this
effort to ensure that the MIB is appropriate for the Internet's
operational needs.  

GOALS AND MILESTONES:

These Goals and Milestones are tentative. First, we do not know
exactly what 802.17 will produce so some adjustment of the work
items or times may be needed. Second, the dates are predicated
on 802.17 meeting its schedule:
- First draft in January 2002,
- Last additions in March 2002,
- IEEE 802.17 Working Group Ballot June 2002
- Last technical changes September 2002
- LMSC ballot November 2002
- Publication as a standard March 2003

March 2002     Publish first draft of the basic IP-over-RPR
               specification as an Internet Draft.  This should
               be published in time for the March 2002 IETF meeting.
               This draft covers the first level of 802.17/IP 
               interaction.

June 2002      Publish second draft of the basic IP-over-RPR 
               specification as an Internet Draft. This should be
               published in time for the July 2002 IETF meeting.

November  2002 Publish first draft of the advanced IP-over-RPR
               specification as an Internet Draft. This draft
               covers the second and third levels of 802.17/IP
	       interaction.

November 2002  Submit final draft to the Basic protocol to the 
               IESG for Proposed Standard Status. This is timed
               to occur at the same time as the IEEE's LMSC
               ballot of November 2002.

January 2003   Publish second draft of the advanced IP-over-RPR
               specification as an Internet Draft. This draft
               covers the second and third levels of 802.17/IP
	       interaction.

June    2003   Submit the advanced IP-over-RPR Internet Draft
               to the IESG for Proposed Standard Status

_______________________________________________
IPORPR mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/iporpr