Subject: [Ipoverib] Value of LID in ARP messages

From: "Larsen, Roy K" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 Dec 2001 17:59:49 -0800

Vivek,

As I understand the current state of affairs, an IPoIB link, as defined by
the IPoIB broadcast/all-IP nodes multicast group, will be allowed to span IB
subnets.  If this understanding is correct, can you clarify for me the value
of specifying the LID in an ARP when it can not be trusted as valid for the
recipient.  You could make it the responsibility of the node sending an ARP
reply to perform any needed path record lookups on behalf of the requesting
node, but for the initial ARP request, this is not possible since it is a
broadcast message.

I have a vague recollection that this had been discussed before but I
couldn't find the thread.  If so, I apologize for treading old ground and
would appreciate someone giving me a pointer to the thread. 

Roy

_______________________________________________
IPoverIB mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ipoverib