Subject: PWG-ANNOUNCE> FW: RFC 4160 on Internet Fax Gateway Requirements

From: "McDonald, Ira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 10:19:04 -0700

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]]On
Behalf Of [email-masked]
Sent: Thursday, September 01, 2005 2:24 PM
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked]
Subject: RFC 4160 on Internet Fax Gateway Requirements

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 4160

        Title:      Internet Fax Gateway Requirements
        Author(s):  K. Mimura, K. Yokoyama, T. Satoh, C. Kanaide,
                    C. Allocchio
        Status:     Informational
        Date:       August 2005
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      13
        Characters: 24930
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:    None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-fax-gateway-protocol-12.txt

        URL:        ftp://ftp.rfc-editor.org/in-notes/rfc4160.txt

To allow connectivity between the General Switched Telephone Network
facsimile service (GSTN fax) and the e-mail-based Internet Fax service
(i-fax) an "Internet Fax Gateway" is required.  This document provides
recommendations for the functionality of Internet Fax Gateways.  In
this context, an "offramp gateway" provides facsimile data
transmission from i-fax to GSTN fax; vice versa, an "onramp gateway"
provides data transmission form GSTN fax to i-fax.  The
recommendations in this document apply to the integrated service
including Internet Fax terminals, computers with i-fax software on the
Internet, and GSTN Fax terminals on the GSTN.

This document is a product of the Internet Fax Working Group of the IETF.

This memo provides information for the Internet community.  It does
not specify an Internet standard of any kind.  Distribution of this
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF list and the RFC-DIST list.
Requests to be added to or deleted from the IETF distribution list
should be sent to [email-masked].  Requests to be
added to or deleted from the RFC-DIST distribution list should
be sent to [email-masked].

Details on obtaining RFCs via FTP or EMAIL may be obtained by sending
an EMAIL message to [email-masked] with the message body 
help: ways_to_get_rfcs.  For example:

        To: [email-masked]
        Subject: getting rfcs

        help: ways_to_get_rfcs

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

Submissions for Requests for Comments should be sent to
[email-masked].  Please consult RFC 2223, Instructions to RFC
Authors, for further information.

Joyce K. Reynolds and Sandy Ginoza
USC/Information Sciences Institute

...

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant Mail Reader 
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version
of the RFCs.

Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 10:19:05 -0700