Subject: IPP> Posted draft IPP Printer State Reasons Extensions (17 July 2006)

From: "McDonald, Ira" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 14:26:24 -0700

Hi folks,                                          Monday (17 July 2006)

I've just posted the first draft of the PWG IPP Printer State Reasons
Extensions specification on the PWG FTP server at:

    ftp://ftp.pwg.org/pub/pwg/ipp/wd/wd-ippstate10-20060717.htm

This draft is technically complete (to the best of my ability) except
for the summary conformance sections (individual sections already have
detailed conformance requirements).

For immediate review, comment on the IPP WG mailing list ([email-masked]),
and discussion at an IPP WG Telecon as soon as possible.

Cheers,
- Ira

Ira McDonald (Musician / Software Architect)
Blue Roof Music / High North Inc
PO Box 221  Grand Marais, MI  49839
phone: +1-906-494-2434
email: [email-masked]

-- 
No virus found in this outgoing message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.1.394 / Virus Database: 268.10.1/389 - Release Date: 7/14/2006

---

From: Michael Sweet <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 2006 18:30:10 -0400

> and discussion at an IPP WG Telecon as soon as possible.

WRT section 5.1.1, CUPS implements the severity suffixes as required
by RFC 2911.  I don't think we can just do away with them, but
defining a mapping from keyword-suffix to keyword would have the
equivalent effect without requiring an update of RFC 2911...  Also,
I know I get "media-tray-empty-error" and other messages from HP
printers via IPP, so we're not the only company implementing it...

Also, overloading printer-state-message with non-localized alert
object data is, IMHO, the wrong approach.  Define a printer-alert
1setOf collection that contains all of the prtAlert* objects.  CUPS
uses printer-state-message to hold the human-readable state message
(as defined by RFC 2911), and it would be impossible for CUPS to
conform to this spec if you use printer-state-message for this
purpose.

-- 
______________________________________________________________________
Michael Sweet, Easy Software Products           mike at easysw dot com
Internet Printing and Publishing Software        http://www.easysw.com