Subject: [ippm] 'bursty loss' metrics

From: Haim Zlotokrilov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 15:50:43 +0200

Hi
I'm doing a research about IP QoS for VoIP application, especially regarding
the influence of bursty vs. random packet  loss and its effect on perceived
quality.
Therefore I'm interested in definitions of 'loss burstiness'. Are there any
ideas other than those mentioned in "One-way Loss Pattern Sample Metrics"? 
The 'm out of n' metrics was mentioned, but not in details. Can anyone
explain more about this metrics? 

Best Regards
Zlatokrilov Haim

---

From: [email-masked]
Date: Thu, 6 Dec 2001 11:28:05 +0200

Hi,
 
some further comments about loss correlations. Computing loss correlations
is a matter of metrics, but making a direct link between end user
experienced and packet loss correlation is a tougher problem in general. For
example, it depends on the codec used. Also, the effect of packet losses
depend on where it occurs with respect to sentence and so on. Perhaps Ari or
some other audio coding guy can elaborate on this, but I'll just mention
that I gave a presentation about one way of linking MOS and network-level
QoS at IPPM slot at San Diego meeting one year ago. I guess the contribution
should be linked to IETF proceedings.
 
    Vilho